PDA

View Full Version : Holding/gathering tanks

Al
04-24-2004, 07:30 AM
I used a couple of the white square 275 gallon tanks this year and they definately have some drawbacks. The hole on top is small and how the heck do you clean them? I have some stuff on the inside of the tank and I've tried everything to get it off and can't. I'm thinking about cutting a bigger hole in the top of the gathering tank but wonder if it will weaken the tank to much. Has anyone ever done it?
So I really want to get at least a holding tank this year. How do people feel about using the galvanized stock watering pans? Stainless steel milk tanks can be had but would proberly have to be put outside. Alot of guys up here reccomend they be kept inside the sugar house because of freezing. Would just a lean too over the top help?
I'll stop now. I'm on my way to Leaders open house. :D :D
Take care

mapleman3
04-24-2004, 12:39 PM
Al, I just picked up my 310 gal milk tank today finally, I bought 1 yd of stone that I am putting on the side of my sugarhouse, and putting the tank on that with blocks. I will also build a sap house around it, I guess you could call it a shed , for that is what the style will be off the side of the sugarhouse, I do want to keep the two stainless tanks I have out of the elements .. especially since the milk tank will be functional compressor and agitator wise. I know what you mean about the 275 gal poly.. I had trouble with it on heavy sap days, I couldn't get the sap in fast enough with the 5 gal pails all being full!!! tough to pour into an 8 " hole.

MICHAELH05489
04-24-2004, 02:59 PM
AL,I USE A HOSE TO CLEAN THE INSIDE OF MY 300 GAL POLY TANK..I USE A BRUSH WITH A LONG HANDLE OR A CAR WASG PRESSURE HOSE WORKS GREAT ALSO...YOU CAN USE A GALV STOCK TANK FOR SAP....THE COOP IN ST ALBANS HAS SOME GOOD PRICES ON THEM....AS FAR AS DUMPING SAP INTO THE POLY TANKI USED A BIG PLASTIC FUNNEL TO POUR THE SAP INTO...IT FITS NICELY INTO THE 8' HOLE....IM SWITCHING TO GAL TANS FOR MY PIPELINE TANKS, THERE EASIER TO USE AND ARE LOWER TO THE GROUND SO'S I CAN LOWER MY LINES.....MIKE

mapleman3
04-24-2004, 05:47 PM
Be careful if you go to a car wash and use their hose, sometimes there may still be soap or the what they claim is wax rinse.. I don't know if I trust it to be just water coming out to do a good rinse of your tank.

when I cleaned mine I had a few 5 gal pails full of hot water and lowered my submersible pump into them and used the outlet hose to give the poly tank a hot rinse all over inside, this is the same pump I use to transfer sap and it is placed in my storage tank when I boil and it feeds the feed tank in the sugarhouse. very handy pump.

http://www.wholesalepumps.com/Product.cfm?DID=12&PID=21

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-24-2004, 06:00 PM
Al,

I wouldn't think that cutting a larger hole in the top would weaken the tanks much. I would recommend a very large funnel to help pour in them so you don't have to slow down and you don't waste any sap.

As far as tanks in the future, the galvanized stock tanks are great. Down here, I can get a 100 gallon for $ 52.00, 150 gallon is $ 82.00 and the 250 gallons are $ 112.00. I have about 6 of them for my pipeline to run in and they work great. As far as sap freezing, it got extremely cold here this year and the froze just a small layer on the top. With a milk tank, they are usually insulated(at least I think so) and that would keep them from freezing even more. A lean-to should work fine to cover them up and I don't think you would have much chance of the temps damaging them much unless you let them set for an extended period of time with liquid in them.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-24-2004, 06:02 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the link on the pump. I have been looking for one of those to use in the sugarhouse that was potable. If it is good for fish, it out to be fine for what I need so I don't have to start up my Tanaka in the sugarhouse every time I need to pump sap! :D :D :D

mapleman3
04-24-2004, 06:31 PM
it's a great pump indeed, I am pretty sure Home depot carries them in their water garden section ... I think thats where I had got it years ago.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-24-2004, 08:49 PM
I might have to order one from the website since I don't have a home depot close by. We are going to Hilton Head, SC for vacation next month, so maybe I can stop at one around there as there is quite a few down south.

TR Hardwoods
04-25-2004, 08:04 AM
Al, I use a milk funnel for getting sap into my holding tank. These are large stainless steel funnels that have a small 6" paper filter in the bottom. They are designed to fit the holes on the lids of milk bulk tanks. You can rapidly pour your sap into your holding tank and filter your sap at the same time. They are always laying around in the milkhouse at your local dairy farms. I'm not sure where you would purchase a new one. They work great, I filter my sap in the woods when I put into my gathering tank and then use this filter again when transfering into my storage tanks.

mapleman3
04-25-2004, 08:09 AM
TR those you can redily find on ebay... I am going to get one for my bulk tank.

Al
04-25-2004, 05:42 PM
O.K. so is E bay easy to use and how do you get on?

mapleman3
04-25-2004, 06:19 PM
Al actually it's Too easy to use ;)
just go to ebay.com
go to the search bar, type in what your looking for, and you may have to check the titles and description box to get a more thourough search... then voila!! or change your words a bit may help find what you want.

as far as bidding you just need to get a sign on name.. don't bid if you really don't intend to buy... they really frown on that.

so if you want to bid, you give ebay your highest bid you will pay.. they will bid for you.. if the item is at 5.00 and the most you would pay is 15 then you put 15... ebay will bid 6for you... then 7 so on!!! it's fun

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Al,

It doesn't cost anything to join and is a lot of fun and you can save a lot of money. Just don't get caught up in the hole bidding process and spend to much! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Russell Lampron
04-26-2004, 06:00 AM
I agree ebay is the place to go to find just about anything you want. I just bought a 0-32% Brix refractometer for $29.00. I have also gotten some good deals on parts for my 1930 Model AA Ford. :D :D :D

Russ

Times of sap and no wood are better than times of wood and no sap

gearpump
05-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Al,

I have a picture I can send you of our 35 gallon bucket collection tank. We cut off the 5" lid and glued on a 10" lid. This allowed us to use a milk strainer as a funnel. It worked great. The milk funnel came from Blue Seal feeds and needs for $35 brand new. I can empty 125 half to overflowing sap buckets in about 1 hour by myself, and the added bonus is the sap gets filtered clean in the process.

Marty

mapleman3
05-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Marty, could ya send me a pic of that too?

Thanks in advance

Al
05-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Hi Marty that sounds like a winner there. Please send me a picture when ever it convinent for you.
Thanks in advance.
Take care

michaelh05478
05-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Al, Do you want to sell one of your tanks?? Or i can trade you a milk funnel for it...let me know ......Mike

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Jim,

Copy me the pic whenever Marty sends it to you. I always like new ideas! :D :D

mapleman3
05-06-2004, 06:12 AM
I will do for sure Brandon... and hey.. look at you only 6 posts away from 1000.... go man go !!!

Al
05-25-2004, 05:53 PM
O.K. I'm going to pick up a stock tank next month. What's the best way to clean one and what do you use for a cleaning fluid.
Thanks

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Here's the pump Jim(mapleman3) listed earlier. I ordered one today and this is by far the best price I could find anywhere!

http://www.marketexpo.com/prod_71.htm

Hope they are a good company, I will let you know once I receive product as it is supposed to be shipped directly from manufacture! :)

mapleman3
06-07-2004, 05:06 PM
It's an awesome pump :)