PDA

View Full Version : Evaporator question

Vin Maresco
05-11-2008, 08:45 PM
I am more than new to making maple syrup in that I have not even set up an evaporator yet. I was shopping for an entry level set up and came across the “GBM Affordable Line” of evaporators. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this line of evaporators that they were willing to share with a newbie. I found this line of evaporators on “Andersons Maple” web page.
Thanks
Vin

Haynes Forest Products
05-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Shop the maple guys first

markcasper
05-11-2008, 11:17 PM
“GBM Affordable Line” of evaporators. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this line of evaporators that they were willing to share with a newbie. Thanks
Vin[/QUOTE]

Vin,

I have had experience with this "line". It was the worst experience in my maple career! I lost alot of money and 1/2 of my 1997 crop. I would strongly advise against anything to do with this. You are welcome to pm me for more specifics.

Truly Yours, Mark

Brent
05-12-2008, 06:52 AM
i have not heard anything good about these either. Contact the hosts of this forum, The Maple Guys and get prices from them for the starter units made by Patrick Phaneuf. They have some in stock. They are better made than average and better price/value than anything else I have seen. You don't say how many trees you plan to tap but if you are like most of us, once you get the bug, you'll want to tap every tree with 3 hours on a dog sled. I am on my 4th incarnation. Started on the kitchen stove.

Sizing on evaporators is all about heat transfer and to transfer heat you need surface area. From pots to flat pans to flue pans with folded channels to stacked pans with pre-heaters and 'steam-aways' it's all about more surface area and that means more stainless and higher prices. For the most part you get what you pay for.

I loved the ad for the Ducane barbecues. " buy your last barbecue first "
While I have doubts you will be able to do this. At least try to save some steps and aim high.

Brent
05-12-2008, 07:00 AM
I should have mentioned in my first post you can see some of Phaneuf's line on his web site at www.maplesyrupevaporators.com I think his backyarder is less than $1,000. but I would urge you to get one with flue pans. The fire box is the same size but because of the greater surface area in the flues, you boil a lot more with the same amount of wood, like double to triple. Less to cut, less to split, less to stack .... you get the idea.

Maplewalnut
05-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Vin,

I sent you a PM.

Mike

Vin Maresco
05-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks for all the comments - most helpful for a newbie like me ! Here is a follow up question and any further comments will also be much appreciated. I have looked at the Leader WSE 2x4 and 2x6 as well as the Patrick Phaneuf ones of the same size. They are just about the same price. Are they pretty much equal in quality or is one of these superior to the other?
Thanks
Vin

bison1973
05-18-2008, 06:40 PM
I too have had an experience with these. It was bad. This was my first time to buy a "real" evaporator. Not knowing much at the time the GBM line seemed like a good place to start. Well, they made promises about what it could do for evap. rate and it never even got half that much. Way too slow for what I was trying to accomplish. They also seem somewhat "homemade" for a the price that you pay for them. I got a CDL the next season. Wasted alot of money on the GBM. I wouldn't reccomend them.

Brent
05-18-2008, 07:10 PM
As you can see in my signature I have a Phaneuf 2x6. I have only used it this past season and despite having a small problem with the pre-heater hood, I wouldn't consider the two as equals. I had an opportunity to see a WSE several times both before and after I got the Phaneuf and I can tell you that in my opinion, the Phaneuf is clearly the better value. Not a bit better, quite a bit better. Patrick learned his skills at Dominion and Grimm in Montreal and having low overhead it makes for a great product at a great price.

If you got a WSE you would likely be quite happy with it, provided you never saw one of Patrick's.

Just get your order in early. He likes to make all his own deliveries and therefore likes to group his deliveries to an area to make a run.

He is going to make a new syrup pan for me with a reversing set of valves that will make it function like the Leader revolution. From what I've learned I think you can get 30 to 50% more boiling with a reversing pan before you have to quit to clean off the sand. This year seemed to be bad for most folks in this regard. Next year I'll be ready. Ask Patrick about this. I've ordered it and I don't even know what he's going to charge me. Trust eh ?

maple flats
05-19-2008, 07:02 PM
And except for delivery date promises that keep getting slid back I have never heard anything bad about Patrick's evaporators. Like Brent says, get your order in early!!!