PDA

View Full Version : underside pan flue brush problem

bison1973
04-29-2008, 07:04 PM
I have a 3x10 CDL raised flue. I bought it new. This was the second season using it. After last season I went and bought the soot side flue brush for it. I didn't get around to actually using the brush on it until just before this season. Anyway, it won't fit between the flues. There is no way possible for it to do so. It's way too thick. The dealer who sold it to me says that what they sold me is the brush made for the pan and that they've never run accross this problem before. It's the white brush if that helps.

Anyone with any info, knowledge, or suggestions?

Tim

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
04-29-2008, 07:34 PM
sounds to me that he should make it right, or expect some bad publicity

RICH

maplehound
04-29-2008, 08:26 PM
I have had the same problem. They just fit so tight. I do have a solution though. Try running a small flame over and around it. (propane torch works great) That will melt it just a little and shorten the brush lengths up. It worked for me.

SteveD
05-28-2008, 05:36 AM
Out of curiosity, to what degree do most of you guys try to remove the soot on the bottom of the pans at the end of the season? Do you just use the brush on them? ...or do you attempt to scrape off some of the more "baked on" soot?

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-28-2008, 06:05 AM
I just worry about the loose stuff. I sometimes clean some out mid season too. A thick layer insulates the pan from the fire but a thin dark layer absorbs heat while a shiny surface reflects it. Don't worry if you get it shiny though, it won't stay that way long.

super sappy
05-28-2008, 06:42 AM
How do you properly attach the handle to this brush? The one that I have has 2 spiral wires to attach to a handle somehow. I tried a piece of hickory with 2 holes drilled in it then a bandsaw kerf lenghtwise thru the centers if the holes, then drove in the wires. Crimped it tight with 2 hose clamps and then used wire ties to keep pressure on the connection point. Came off after 2 flues were clean. The brush was all distorted and bent etc. PS I did the blow torch thing. -Any Ideas. -ss +

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-28-2008, 08:13 AM
My brush attaches to a piece of black steel pipe that is threaded on the one end and has a hook handle on the other end. Works great and I have used the same flue brush for the last 2 seasons and I brush before every boil. The handle is nice to hang it up against the wall out of the way. It came with the evaporator, but you could make one very easy and Leader or one of their dealers carries brushes that would fit it with a female thread raised or drop flue. I can usually get about 2 seasons out of a brush before it breaks from the stress. I always keep a spare brush on hand. I believe the pipe is 3/8" black steel pipe, but may be 1/2". Someone on here should know for sure.

mapleman3
05-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Brandon you brush every boil? I am sure it's easier on a drop flue, I remember when I did wood on my raised flue and it was a pain.. I see Bisons concern with his brush, the one I had also was very tight....and I think it was constructed the same as his . Now with wood again I will be in the same boat, having to brush down the flues... You guys with Raised flues, how often do you brush and isn't it a pain to do????

Russell Lampron
05-28-2008, 05:15 PM
I have the 2 twisted wire type of brush too and I use a piece of 1/2" electrical conduit for a handle. I welded the brush to the handle. I used to clean my flues before every boil but now I do it every third boil. I don't boil as long as I used to now that I have an RO.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-28-2008, 07:27 PM
post edited

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-28-2008, 08:27 PM
I do brush every boil, but most of my boils are long boils. It is a little headache, but I think it makes a difference in boil rates, never checked it but I don't see how it couldn't.

Pete33Vt
05-29-2008, 03:28 AM
I brush before every boil. Since I change pans also I have a good system down. While I take off the dirty pan I run my brush up through the flues then I can put the clean pan on. I have noticed a big differance in my back pan as far a boiling without brushing flues. Clean flues will boil alot better then dirty flues and its alot easier to clean up at the end of the season. By the way I have raised flues.

peacemaker
05-29-2008, 09:12 AM
i found if i didnt brush atleast every other day my boiling rate would drop dramatically

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
05-29-2008, 02:57 PM
I agree at least every other day

RICH