PDA

View Full Version : A long run

wanabe
04-21-2004, 07:27 AM
Hi Guys,

Got a question for you guys, I was trying to do a little mapping for next years lines(my first time on tubing) This is the situation I can get about 60 or so taps on one run of line about 200 feet pretty close to where my holding tanks will be. Then there is a section of pretty dense pine and hemlock for about 400 feet then back into some maples where I could get another 40 or so taps. Is it worth the expense of tubing to run 400 hundred without a single tap just to get forty or should I just End the run at the pines?

Thanks Jeff

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-21-2004, 07:33 AM
Jeff,

You can get 1/2 mainline for around 8 bucks a roll for 100' at Lowes and I bought some last year at a building supply store for around $ 5.60 for 100'. If it cost you $ 32 bucks in 1/2 mainline to get to the 40 taps, I would think it would be more than worth it because that 1 time investment of $ 32.00 could give you possibly 10 more gallon of syrup each year and 1 gallon of syrup at retail prices is around $ 40.00.

Of course it will cost you some investment in wire and supports for the wire, but that shouldn't be any more than the cost of the mainline!

Go for it! :D :D :D

brookledge
04-21-2004, 11:47 AM
I would do it. The only thing is what you have for slope. If you don't have good slope you may want to up size your mainline. a good tip is to follow the guidelines in the leader catalog