PDA

View Full Version : using oil help

caseyssugarshack93
04-27-2008, 01:01 PM
can i use a oil burner from a house heating unit for a 2x6 evaporator ???? do i need to change anything or will it just not workkk ?????

thanksss

nate

Grade "A"
04-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Yes it will work, but you may not get the heat out of it that you would like. Most burners in a house has 1 gph or less nossle on it. I used a oil burner out of a house this year and it work fine but the biggest nossle I could put on it was a 2 gph. I tried bigger nossles but I could not get the air through the burner that was needed for a 2.5 gph to burn clean. Long story short is that if you have one already give it a try, but if you are buying one look at how many gph you can put through it first. I am getting a new burner this year that will go from 3-7 gph for my 2x6 arch

Haynes Forest Products
04-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Grade A is right see what the GPH are. I was shocked to see that brand new Beckett burners are going for on Ebay. Just type in oil burners and take a look I have a beckett that I paid 1250.00 5 years ago and it burns 7 to 13.7 GPH and Im going broke with it. There is a guy Jorns Sugar Bush up in Egg Harbor Wisc and he runs 2 guns at 5 and 7 GPH And his pans are 6X16 and they are 1750 RPM and they are quiet as can be. My beckett is 3450 RPM and its like your at the airport had to build a cover over it so I could hear my wife yelling at me.....Think ill uncover it.

caseyssugarshack93
04-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Yes it will work, but you may not get the heat out of it that you would like. Most burners in a house has 1 gph or less nossle on it. I used a oil burner out of a house this year and it work fine but the biggest nossle I could put on it was a 2 gph. I tried bigger nossles but I could not get the air through the burner that was needed for a 2.5 gph to burn clean. Long story short is that if you have one already give it a try, but if you are buying one look at how many gph you can put through it first. I am getting a new burner this year that will go from 3-7 gph for my 2x6 arch

sooo will the one out of my house be better than wood for heat and more evaporation rate than wood or am i better to stay with wood for the heat because im not going to buyy a new burner

brookledge
04-27-2008, 08:25 PM
The reason you will average more evaporation with oil is "consistancy". Once you flip the switch there is a consant heat supply whereas wood every time you open and fill it up it takes a bit to recover. So you get ups and downs. But as for which one boils more, the wood will boil the same rate as the oil when the wood is at its peak but as the wood begins to die down or you get distracted you will lose evaporation rate.
You need to determine how much gph your present burner is capable of and go from there
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
04-27-2008, 08:58 PM
I spoke with a oil burner guy and it was a lesson in finding how many BTU you need. Thank god for shop or I would still be in school. Im thinking it goes like this. 1 BTU to raise the temp of 1 gallon of water 1 degree in one hour at sea level.....So now you want to take cold sap from lets say 40 degrees to 212 to boil it and now your evaporator will do 100 GPH and thats with syrup being drawn off and cold sap coming in. So you want to raise the temp of 1 gallon of sap 172 degrees X 100 gallons per hr...............man I hate math

caseyssugarshack93
04-27-2008, 10:12 PM
I spoke with a oil burner guy and it was a lesson in finding how many BTU you need. Thank god for shop or I would still be in school. Im thinking it goes like this. 1 BTU to raise the temp of 1 gallon of water 1 degree in one hour at sea level.....So now you want to take cold sap from lets say 40 degrees to 212 to boil it and now your evaporator will do 100 GPH and thats with syrup being drawn off and cold sap coming in. So you want to raise the temp of 1 gallon of sap 172 degrees X 100 gallons per hr...............man I hate math

im kinda confuesed haha well all i wanna know is if u think my house burner will be better than wood or am i better to stay with wood ? will the burner work with my 2x6? or will it not have anough btus ?

Haynes Forest Products
04-28-2008, 12:09 AM
I ran my 2X6 with a Oil burner and it ran great. Dont know the nozzel size and thats the key. Wasnt that big of a gun.Used burners in the 3 to 5 GPH range come up cheap on Ebay give it a try. Boil some water this summer. If the gun wont take a bigger nozzel swap it out to a bigger unit

Grade "A"
04-28-2008, 05:29 AM
It would be hard for me to say if it would work better for you or not. What I can tell you is part way through the season I changed rigs to a 2x6 wood fired. We got some softwood slabs to burn but they were not 100% dry, so we changed over to oil with a 2gph nossle. For us the oil worked better, less mess, no ash flying around, fire on/off with the flip of a swicth. Our boil rate was close to the same as wood but we also could move the hard boild around with blast walls to get the front pan to boild better. You could get a better gph rate with good would vs. oil with a 2 gph nossle, but after you boil with oil you wont want to go back.

325abn
04-28-2008, 06:51 AM
A oil burner is a oil burner. The key for you is to experiment with different GPH nozzels, nozzel angles, cone heads, pump pressure and your chamber set up.

Its all about tweeking your rig to get the most efficently out of it.

maplwrks
04-28-2008, 07:53 AM
I Agree---try Your Home Oil Gun And Tweek Your Arch To Perform. You Can Try Different Spray Patterns, Gph, Air Mix, Etc.... You've Got 11 Months To Get It Right!

CityMaple
04-28-2008, 09:18 AM
The key is to have the burner set up correct. example beckett afg burner will do up to 3 some gph, but the plate that swirls the air by the nozzel has to be changed when you go from home heating around 1-1.5 gph to the outer limit of 3gph. the bigger one has larger holes to swirl the larger amount of oil that needs to be burned. an experianced oil tech (at least one with a burner service manual) or if you can talk your way into a local suply house with an experianced parts man will set you up with the right parts. if just go and slap the 3gph nozzel in the burner that is not set up for it sure you will have problems.

Haynes Forest Products
04-28-2008, 10:23 AM
There are two burners on Ebay right now that are cheap. A whyne 2.75 gallon for 29.50 and a Bock thats .50 to 2.75 GPH starting at 25.00 cant beat that. The Whyne hase about 40 min left on the auction

caseyssugarshack93
04-28-2008, 06:17 PM
There are two burners on Ebay right now that are cheap. A whyne 2.75 gallon for 29.50 and a Bock thats .50 to 2.75 GPH starting at 25.00 cant beat that. The Whyne hase about 40 min left on the auction

will it work on my 2x6 and boil better than the wood ?????????

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Those will work on your 2x6, but as far as doing better than wood, that is hard to say. What kind of evap rate are you avering with wood. arch.

caseyssugarshack93
04-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Those will work on your 2x6, but as far as doing better than wood, that is hard to say. What kind of evap rate are you avering with wood. arch.

about 25 to 30 or 32 gallons per hour

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-28-2008, 06:46 PM
You are probably going to be about the same on oil, but it will depend on how many gph of oil you burn. Do you have a hood and preheater, this would probably give you a 10 to maybe as high as a 15 percent increase??

caseyssugarshack93
04-28-2008, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE=WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER;48649]You are probably going to be about the same on oil, but it will depend on how many gph of oil you burn. Do you have a hood and preheater, this would probably give you a 10 to maybe as high as a 15 percent increase??[/QUOTE

im gunna havea Ro and prob make my own preheater and then maybe buy a hood

lpakiz
04-28-2008, 09:31 PM
I think a BTU is the amount of heat needed to raise one POUND of water 1 degree F, not one gallon.

Haynes Forest Products
04-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Im thinkin your right That would add another 0 to the equation Hey did I tell you I HATE MATH THANKS

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-29-2008, 06:28 PM
post edited