PDA

View Full Version : Galvanized Pans?

Maine4me
04-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Hello Everyone,
Looking at making some pans for my arch for next season (got hooked this year). I see some people on here are using galvanized pans, I was always taught to avoid galvanized metal and heat due to the exposure. I also noticed that in the book "Backyard Sugarin" he reccomends making pans out of galvanized sheet metal.
I don't have alot of extra money kicking around, so even though I have a tig torch at the house I'm tempted to buy some gal sheet metal at lowes and bang out a few pans due to the cost of stock Stainless right now.
Should I worry about boiling in gal pans or will the pans not get hot enough to release any metals into my syurp? Thoughts?

VtSugarhouse
04-26-2008, 06:45 PM
You can make syrup with Gal pans, but I would not put it on the market to sell. If you make enough to sell get some ss steel pans. The only problem with gal pans is if you leave the sap in too long it pulls the lead out of the metal and you will have a high count.
Can be done for a beginner!!

Haynes Forest Products
04-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Ill sell you my old 2X6 English tin pans CHEAP they were brand new 80 years ago.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-26-2008, 08:02 PM
I don't know how much money you want to spend, but check with Bascoms as they have a lot of crossflow pans and you can pick up a 2x6 crossflow stainless pan for $ 200 to $ 400 depending on condition and you will have something that will last a lifetime with proper care and you will be able to resell it in a few years for likely more than you paid for it if you take care of it.

Maine4me
04-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Being very new to this, how does a crossflow pan work? I know the longer I do this the bigger the rig I'll want, but if i only plan to boil 40 gal of sap per week would the 2x6 crossflow be too big? Sorry for the stupid questions, trying to soak up as much info as possible

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Might be a little big, but very few people stay the size that they start out and within a couple of years, the 2x6 pan would likely be too small. They usually have smaller pans too and you can pick up nice new stainless pans on ebay for a good price and have it shipped to your door. Just after the season is over is not a real good time to pick up on ebay, but there are a lot of members on here who have bought pans off of ebay that can give you more info.