PDA

View Full Version : bulk prices going up

maple flats
04-26-2008, 07:36 AM
It looks like the bulk prices are going up fast. I checked with an ad on this forum at $2.80 all grades. Then in looking at another ad for syrup wanted was at $2.65 light and $2.50 med. A post in that ad said good luck, the price just hit $2.90. This all leads to my question. What prices have you been getting or had quoted recently, and from who, with their contact info please?

mountainvan
04-26-2008, 07:51 AM
I picked up some grade b for $2.10/lb, that's what Bascoms is paying right now. Add 5 cents/lb for each grade above.

maple flats
04-26-2008, 07:56 AM
I was quoted at $2.50 for B and $2.30 for C at Bascom this morning.

markcasper
04-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Maple flats, Was that the price Bascom was asking, or what they were paying/giving?-want they wanted for it if you were purchasing?. Or was it what they were paying to the producer?

I know from Wisconsin things don't affect you guys. But what happens out your way with prices will affect us.

My neighbor took his to Roth Sugarbush, Cadott, WI one week ago and he was paid $2.00/ lb for anything darker than A Dark. Light, Medium, and Dark A was being paid at $2.25/ lb. There was no difference in price with the 3 A grades. I have never witnessed this in my life! Sounds like our prices have some work to do then.

Wisconsin had a very good year from what I have heard over the past week.

maple flats
04-26-2008, 05:03 PM
That is their if i am selling price, I did not get the price if i want to buy.

maple flats
04-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Their price about 10 days ago was $2.20 for b and $2.00 for C.

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Don't sell at those prices!!!! Quebec crop appears to be about 80%. I was offered 2.90//lb for all grade A, 2.80/lb for grade B and 2.70/lb for grade C yesterday. I was at LaPierre's open house yesterday and heard reports of offers over $3 across the board. I was told Guys who sold 2 weeks ago are already getting second checks if they sold under those arrangements. Looks like a sellers market.

VtSugarhouse
04-26-2008, 06:41 PM
I was in Quebec on Wed of this week and was offered $2.90 lb ( Canadian) for any grade across the board if you had the syrup. Dark is in very high demand. Also there is word of cash under the table being paid if you have the syrup.
So far the Canadian crop is only medium at best according to the sources I talked to.

I'm not selling any at this time...so far my barrels are increasing in value better than the stock market!

markcasper
04-26-2008, 08:20 PM
It sounds to me like this is a year to do anything you can to hold onto the syrup. I know we all have bills to pay, but if they are crying for syrup this bad now, whats it gonna be like around the end of the year.
With the explosion in the price of equipment and energy, prices like these are desperately needed to stay in business.
Lets all hold onto the syrup, sit back and watch the packers start buzzing.

peacemaker
04-26-2008, 08:23 PM
with b and c so high makes me think i may try to tap a bunch of cull trees this fall

802maple
04-27-2008, 09:12 AM
I have some questions on what you guys as sugarmakers think is a fair price for your syrup. As some of you know I am a front man for Maple Grove one of the largest maple packers on the planet, that if we can get it, will buy 16 million lbs of syrup annually. We are paying $2.80 for all grades presently and I don't believe we will raise much more ,although I could be very wrong. The reason I say this is we are at a level where the consumer will be telling us as sugarmakers to pack sand with the way the economy is. At the present rate we are paying 30.80 a gallon and add 35% to cover our costs and for a store to add the normal 35% on for there mark up it will put a gallon in the range of $57.00 dollars, and that is without shippng.

I am sure we will make it thru this as a company, but I know of small packers that are very concerned about whether they will make it or not. These smaller Mom and Pop operations are the back bone of this industry and without them you will eventually see the bottom fall out of the price of syrup because the world market will shrink as it has in the past when syrup hit these levels and the consumer found that Vermont Maid or Aunt Jemima would suit them just fine.

I know there are people out there that think I am very biased because of where my paycheck comes from and possibly I am. But I am most concerned for the industry because without customers we will all be doing something else. I would certainly like to hear your opinions and most likely I will.

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-27-2008, 10:24 AM
802Maple,
Frankly, I think your price is in the ballpark. I do object to some of the big packers offering in the $2 range for the B and C. All my first offers were between $2 for B and C and 2.40 for Fancy with each other color grade dropping ten cents. With the current crop and current market, this was too low. My expectations are for the price to settle between $2.75 and 3.00 across the board. There will be syrup sold above this level for specific needs. I agree that it is possible to overdo because the consumer (whether the ultimate user or the packer) will seek cheaper alternatives. It happened to powdered whey last year...price went from twenty cents per pound to almost two dollars. It is now running about twenty five or six cents a pound. My advice to the producer is to not sell at those low end offers. Buyers are certainly known to take advantage of sellers who do not know the market or those who need immediate cash. For this, or any other industry to work, everyone all along the line must be able to profit. Your offer of $2.80 was out early and was here on the Maple Trader so that we as producers knew that we did not have to sell to Bruce or others at $2 or $2.05/lb and I thank you for that.
Doug

Parker
04-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Look what it costs to make syrup-look at fuel prices!!,I burned 24 cords to make 405 gallons,,imagine if I were burning oil! Go buy an R.O to cut your fuel cost =$14,000,,,how about a new evaporator (with MAX flue pan),,,,I worry about the bottom droping out of the market also,,but,,if there is no profit in sugaring, what is the sense of doing it at any scale? $50/ a roll for tubing!!!!! I wonder how much the bulk price of syrup has REALLY gone up if you figure in for inflation? If everyone had a bumper crop what do you think the price per pound would be?

802maple
04-27-2008, 10:58 AM
I know what you are saying Parker, believe I have been there. I remember when the syrup went so high in the late 80's and it was great for us or so we thought. When the consumer wouldn't buy it and the world market shrunk by nearly 15% and Quebec had a couple bumper crops it went from a price then of 2.80 or so down to just a few years later of .90 cents for Fancy if you could get rid of it. If you look back at the amount of syrup made prior to that you will see that we don't make a lot more now then we did then. As far as where it would end up if they had a bumper crop, who knows, all I know is it is along way to the bottom. The common cumsumer when faced with getting a gallon of maple syrup or a tank of gas for $57.00 for the family truckster, guess who wins that decision as begrudgingly as it may seem.

tapper
04-27-2008, 11:38 AM
The maple business is just like everyother business. We have to cover our costs and add a little to the top for profit. The trouble is our costs far outweigh any possible profits and the profits are what keep us alive. I dont even begin to cover costs at 2.00 per lb. or even 3.00 per lb. but, end up selling bulk because of very limited retail market in my area. I like making maple and that is what mainly keeps me doing it.

I have heard the arguement too many times latley that if you raise your prices no one will buy it. Well if you are trying to make money at maple and dont raise prices you will go under real fast because the price of everything else is going up in leaps and bounds. Faster than anytime that I can remember.
Diesel fuel alone has gone up roughly 30% in under a year. Comparably speaking syrup should have gone up 12.00 a gallon. And why shouldnt it? Everything is going up in price like that and people keep buying. It costs way more to cut a cord of wood than it did just 5 years ago. You have to factor that in to production now where you maybe didnt 5 years ago or not near as much anyhow.

Hop Kiln Road
04-27-2008, 11:55 AM
We're entering a new economic era. The demographics are startling. If the annual world production of maple syrup is 8 million gallons, then the top 1% of the world population could each buy 1 pint - see, +/- 100% in annual production doesn't significantly change the equation. For every 8 Americans, there are 100 Asians. The economic bottom 50% of American car drivers are now bidding for gasoline against the top Asian 4%. Guess what is going to happen, regardless of OPEC production. As we merge into a global economy, the old rules and markets will no longer apply. Specifically, the producers are going to have greater sway over their markets than the consumers have had in the past, which bodes well for maple producers.

802maple
04-27-2008, 12:20 PM
This is a argument that could go forever and I am stopping here. I am on record for my view and will revisit it in a couple years to see how far off my old thoughts of the economy and consumers shakes out. In the meantime keep on keeping on.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-27-2008, 02:55 PM
I am in total agreement with Jerry and I know some don't agree with what I have to say or like it for that matter. I have a financial degree and like to crunch #'s. Let me know throw into some of you that like the "boiling sodas" as their called. Me, I don't drink, so it doesn't matter to me. A very larger local alcohol distributor was ask recently: "How's the beer business?" His reply was this:

"Terrible, it has come down to people buying gas or beer and they are buying gas and not beer". Might seem funny to some, but companies like this are really starting to sweat bad as believe it or not, beer is a luxury item to most and a not neccessity. Unforunately, syrup is a luxury item too and the the percentage of people that think syrup is a neccesity is a lower percentage than the alcoholics and others who think alcohol is a neccissity.

I would like to get more out of my syrup as much as anyone else, but I have been selling it for 2 years @ $ 12 per quart and $ 7 per pint and yes, I would like to get more but the economy is not supporting a price increase in this area. Seems to me there is getting to be a lot of greed being posted lately and that's fine, but if the greed drives the price of syrup to the point the consumers are turned off, you will be back to selling it for half of the $ 2.80 per pound maple grove is buying it back because the consumers will turn their back on syrup again.

I am not trying to offend anyone in anyway, but the law of economics is going to kick in here sooner or later. A couple of years ago, anyone would have given anything to get $ 2.80 per pound out of any and all grades and now it is not enough.

Personally, I don't care if the price of bulk goes to 50 cents per pound, it won't affect me as I retail everything but I do care for the industry as a whole and try to promote it all I can and want to see it keep thriving and growing.

MaplePancakeMan
04-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Speaking economically, and historically every great rise has its fall. Living by highs and lows is risky and we can only cheer it on so much before we are crying over it later. Keeping it at set price would help everyone. Historically speaking as well a rise is shortlived while recession is generally much longer. So would you like to get $3 per pound for one year and 1.25 for three years after or 2 bucks even for 4 years?

Russell Lampron
04-27-2008, 03:54 PM
I too am a bit nervous watching the bulk syrup prices rise like everyone else. It is good for once to see Maple Grove step up to the plate and treat all grades of syrup as syrup. It cost just as much for the producer to make a gallon of commercial as it does a gallon of Fancy. How high will it go and how soon will it come crashing down are both questions that won't be answered until some time
in the future.

Like Brandon said "Boiling Sodas" and syrup are both luxury items and when it comes time to fill the gas tank or buy the "Boiling Sodas" or syrup the gas will win every time. When money got tight for me this past winter the "Boiling Sodas" and the iced coffee on the way to work in the morning were the first things to go.

I am going to try to keep my retail prices the same as they are now regardless of the bulk price to try to keep my retail customers. When the bottom falls out who knows what will happen.

Uncle Tucker
04-27-2008, 05:14 PM
The thing to remember is the American dollar has fallen like crazy. This herts prices at home but the rest of the world is getting a deal! I think the best way to stabilize the price is to market our product worldwide. Just remember Canada’s dollar is high so see what there prices are.

VtSugarhouse
04-27-2008, 07:22 PM
The American dollar is pretty much parr to the Canadian dollar.
The reason for increased prices in the syrup industry is there is no backlog of syrup in the Provence of Quebec ( which controls the world price ) and the increase in costs to produce maple syrup. (price of a gallon of fuel oil or the price in general of equipment)
The retail price of a gallon of syrup is pretty steady and can go up and down with demand. Where the American sugar maker has always needed the price increase is in the wholesale market.
Just sit back and analyze what it cost to make a gallon of syrup!
I think it is about time that the whole sale price has come up with the times.
I dont sell much syrup on the wholesale market but this increase is long overdue.

Thats my opinion.

peacemaker
04-27-2008, 07:38 PM
its just like milk ... the farmer is the one not making all the money ... at least in this business we can have a say say we all decide not to sell a drop wholesale keep our retail prices at a nice level and then what are the wholesalers gonna do they will have to keep raising there wholesale price to try to get us to sell to them ...

maplecrest
04-27-2008, 08:37 PM
after spending three days talking and listening about maple pricing at the maple open houses for three days. this is what i heard. if the packers had raised the price a little the last couple of years, the sticker shock would not have been so bad. i would be happy at 2.60. but the real bad thing to remember here is that markets that have been so hard to get wont buy at the high price. and as the season started bruce bascom stated that the rise in last years prices, and rise again they will look for other sweeteners. and with low bulk syrup available and all these markets and not enough syrup to fill them. high prices for what there is. canadians willing to pay over 3.00 a pound for u.s. syrup. so the trick here as 802 stated will be 2 years down the road when the price hits a bottom again. those customers we try so hard to get and keep we hope will still be there. yes this year high oil prices, maple equipment went out of sight, gas ,ect. now maple syrup is a luxury item, and when it comes to buying gas or syrup what is going to win?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-27-2008, 08:48 PM
The problem with it is that if it does hit rock bottom again in a couple of years, that could pretty much do in the maple industry at least in the US. When it hit rock bottom 20 years ago or whenever it was, equipment was cheap, stainless was cheap, gas was 75 cents a gallon. About 5 years ago, Bruce Bascom bought a tractor trailer load of oil for 50 cents per gallon is what he told me. Now, even a quanity that large is probably 7 times that high or higher and the price of an evaporator is probably at least 50% more than 5 years ago.

At the current cost of materials, it won't be worth it for most large producers to be able to hold out for an increase in the syrup price which could take several years to get back up to decent levels and there will be a lot of sugarbushes for sale and vacant sugarhouses.

None of this may happen and I hope it don't, but it definitely could and likely will if the price keeps rising this fast. This is one thing that makes the federation look good at this point is that everything is paid the same for their syrup and there is not a bunch of cutthroat competition going on.

The one bright thing in all of this is that there is a big kick for organic products and naturally produced products like syrup that don't have all the other crap and perservatives in them and hopefully the industry as a whole can embrace this and help ride this wave thru it all if or maybe I should say when it happens. This organic thing wasn't even an issue 5 or 10 years ago, let alone in the 80's.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-27-2008, 08:51 PM
post edited

brookledge
04-27-2008, 09:14 PM
While I like the prices to be up for bulk, it is still a hobby for me. I do like the money I get out of it but I would still do it if I broke even. With some peoples hobbys there is no way of turning a profit or even getting close to breaking even. If you have a money pit as a hobby and you are happy with it then so be it. I'm fortunate to have been bit by the maple bug that way I'm getting $ in return for the thousands of $ I've put in vs. only getting a blue ribbon that hangs on the wall to represent a few thousand dollars
Keith

802maple
04-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Well here goes the price again. We are now offering $3.00 accross the board.

VtSugarhouse
04-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Hate to say "I told you so" but if you look back about 3 months ago I posted that these prices would be this high. Low and behold here they are!!

802maple
04-29-2008, 08:31 PM
I got to agree with you , and if you look at my last post in that discussion I said it all hinged on whether the Canadians had a bad year and that is what they had. Had they had a good year it wouldn't have been nearly this high. they would have been the 2.40 that was orignally set as that was set for a bumper year in the maple world ie Quebec. Do you give lottery numbers out that are winners because you were real good at guessing what kind of season that Quebec was going to have. You win this time but....

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-30-2008, 01:16 PM
........but the consumer is going to take it on the chin as we haven't seen the last price increase yet. I wouldn't be suprised to see it at $3.50 to maybe even as high as $ 4.00 by Dec 31st. It is going up faster than gasoline and it is too hard for syrup to compete with gas.

Maplewalnut
04-30-2008, 02:23 PM
I agree Brandon....retail sales are certainly going to take a hit. People will opt out to Aunt Your Momma syrup (and I use tha term syrup lightly) at $1.99 a bottle. The only thing that may save us small producers is the all natural 'green initiative'

Mike

tuckermtn
04-30-2008, 05:55 PM
here is another spin on the bulk price issue...perhaps I'm naive and don't fully understand the bulk price rammifications.... but I've only raised my quart price $1.00 this year (to $15)...perhaps the price in the supermarket/big box will go up as the bulk price goes up, but consumers may be more willing to seek out the small producer who has a steady price and a known product...

again, maybe I'm naive about the whole thing...but I'm optimistic

-tuckermtn

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-30-2008, 06:14 PM
post edited

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Buyers may tend to seek out the local producers, well don't hold your breath. It may help a little but if they knew we were out there, they woudn't be buying from the supermarket to start with. If the bulk goes to $ 5.00 per gallon, it won't really hurt us little guys, it is going to kill the industry as a whole and then the price of equipment will get even higher and supplies because the industry crashes and burns and the demand for supplies and equipment goes thru the floor.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-30-2008, 07:09 PM
post edited.....

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-30-2008, 07:15 PM
So what are you saying brandon? Are mom and pop going to start up a commercial production overnight and need all that new equipment and if 500 of them come on line overnight then the equipment will price will rise and then when the crop is made the syrup price will crash?

Vegas says 3 to 1 odds that///Ah never mind.....

I was saying that these high prices won't do much if anything to help the small guy. What I was referring to, if the price of syrup goes back to the lowball prices of a few years ago, a lot of these producers will go out of business and then there won't be enough demand for equipment and supplies and then the price of equipment goes up because the manufactures can't sell enough to pay bill........................

Enough, doom and gloom. The good thing is that syrup is in high demand and people are wanting more organically produced products. Hopefully we can get a bunch more taps on line in the US and CA next year and keep adding taps to keep up with the demand.

Fred Henderson
04-30-2008, 07:16 PM
I think it woukd pay for me go go and buy a barrel now and jug it for sale later. When the price tops out.

MaplePancakeMan
04-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Its just that the vast majority of maple users buy from supermarkets. When bulk prices go up that means the large packers store shelf prices goes up. So even if we are still selling low the damage is done. I have seen a rise in retail syrup in hannaford of $2.00 per pint in the last two months. When sugaring started hannaford was well cheaper at 7.75(i sell at 9) Now they are at 9.75 Some even up to 11 in some stores. This is what they are at the current bulk prices, if it doubles then you might see pints at $15 would you buy a pint at 15? I wouldn't just my thoughts

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-30-2008, 07:19 PM
post edited

paul
04-30-2008, 07:43 PM
I like the fact that bulk prices are at 3.00lb or should we be saying 3.14lb after the front man gets his, but that shouldnt make us raise our prices to meet theirs. their willing to pay that much sell them all you can, we should be able to keep our prices under 45.00 and still turn a profit. Now im only sugaring for 11 year but ive managed to meet quite a few sugar makers and i cant recall meeting any that were rich. that is financially rich.so i think if you keep your priceing reasonable you will keep your current custumers and maybe find some new ones. just my thoughts

MaplePancakeMan
04-30-2008, 07:46 PM
So what everyones consensus is right now is a perfect time to buy low sell high. I have about 20k that i am looking to invest into a CD however, would it be smarter for me to buy syrup and sell in November that could get me 10 55 gallon drums at 3bucks a piece roughly? for 19,000 and if the price went up $1 or a corresponding profit of 6300 for every one dollar increase. This sounds really enticing i have the place to store it but, would i need to refrigerate it?

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-30-2008, 07:50 PM
post edited

wdchuck
04-30-2008, 08:23 PM
And what's wrong with buying syrup in supermarkets???? We have 3 of them for accounts and they're great! Good enough sales to make us a bulk buyer anstead of a seller, and at even better prices than the big packers at that. And nobody, me or the store is going with high markups here either. I'm pretty reasonable with my prices and the store marks it up less than is typical for them. We, and that means the CONSUMER as well, are all pretty happy with this arrangement. But with these high prices, if the store and I both mark things up as we normally do, sales will be killed. There are those who probably think thats bunk, but numbers are already showing signs of a decline over last year. The general public is under a lot of price pressure and in Vermont where everybody and their brother makes syrup, the public will tell you if you're too expensive- just watch your sales! We're even seeing a drop in sales at the farm, due no doubt to inflation in more necessary items. Still, I dont look at this as a problem in the immediate future for my business. I've had to re-think a few things, but I think I've got it figured out for today at least. It's a good wave to ride folks, so enjoy it- but there will be consequences to it!

MaplePancakeMan
04-30-2008, 08:26 PM
wdchuck, you're supermarkets are small independent grocers? or large chains?

wdchuck
04-30-2008, 08:44 PM
My store are independents- all owned by the same family, and they are a wonderful model for how a business should be run. They hire good people and pay good wages. They make an effort to buy local products (hence me). I know the owners, store managers and department managers all by their first name. They pay on delivery. They let me develop my own displays. If I think a container will sell, I dont even have to ask- I just have to buy some new barcode labels and fit it into my shelfspace. And get this- they actually consider the effect of the prices they charge! They live in the same communities as the customers and know just about everybody who comes through the front door, And on top of what they do inside the stores, they support their local community in ways too numerous to mention. I cant do what I do here with any corporate chain and I consider myself VERY lucky to have these accounts. I do have bigger things to worry about, but in my maple life, I pay attention to this little business because it works so well!

MaplePancakeMan
04-30-2008, 09:16 PM
I understand wlhat you mean, i sell in a local health-foods store, same type of thing. Its the big chains that are going to kill a lot of the maple demand when they surge upwards. People will then just assume all maple syrup is expensive. What the stores don't seem to understand is that by making their margins they will ultimately make very little at all. If they took a marginal hit and made prices at least reasonable they would make up for it in the long run. Making 20% and moving product is better than marking up 50% and not moving any product.

Valley View Sugarhouse
04-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Man even Bascoms is kicking it up a little..... Here is what they quoted me today..

Hi Andrew,
Below are the prices we're currently paying for each grade, subject
to change at any time.

Fancy: $2.90
Med: $2.80
Dark: 2.70
B: 2.50
Com: 2.30

Sincerely,
Bascom Maple Farms

brookledge
04-30-2008, 09:35 PM
I think you will see them go up in price after the spring sale is over. If they keep the prices a little low knowing that alot of people are going to bring in syrup this weekend it will help offset giving the 10% discount. That way you think you are getting a 10% discount in fact you are getting less for your syrup there fore paying full price for the equipment.
Especially when others have announced they are at 3.00 accross the board.
Keith

wdchuck
04-30-2008, 09:59 PM
I understand wlhat you mean, i sell in a local health-foods store, same type of thing. Its the big chains that are going to kill a lot of the maple demand when they surge upwards. People will then just assume all maple syrup is expensive. What the stores don't seem to understand is that by making their margins they will ultimately make very little at all. If they took a marginal hit and made prices at least reasonable they would make up for it in the long run. Making 20% and moving product is better than marking up 50% and not moving any product.

You should talk to some of the places I used to deal with in Stowe! They paid way too much attention to accountants who never stood behind a cash register. Some of those places were looking to double their money! Of course, that was 10 years ago- bet they wont be doing that with syrup this year...............Best thing that ever happened was when I lost a really big customer over there and then found my current deal within 6 months. Getting off topic here, sorry......................

ennismaple
04-30-2008, 10:40 PM
You should talk to some of the places I used to deal with in Stowe! They paid way too much attention to accountants who never stood behind a cash register. Some of those places were looking to double their money! Of course, that was 10 years ago- bet they wont be doing that with syrup this year...............Best thing that ever happened was when I lost a really big customer over there and then found my current deal within 6 months. Getting off topic here, sorry......................

We had the same experience with our primary retailer a few years ago. The store was sold and the new beancounter marked our syrup waaay up. We generally allow for a 25% markup by our retailers but they marked it up almost 75% and hardly sold any syrup. The following year they finally listened to us, brought the prices down to market rates and moved 5x more syrup. Obviously they made more money moving more syrup.

As for the bulk price discussions that are going on - I think the adjustments we've seen this spring get us back to more or less what we should be getting for syrup in the drum. Why should we lose money making it when the middle men are making money? Not that dissimilar to selling any farm produce or livestock. Food prices in general have increased significantly of late and I think it's about time. Canadians (and I'm sure our US neighbours) pay less of their income for food than just about any other nation. Keep giving farmers the shaft and who do you think will suffer in the end?

markcasper
05-01-2008, 12:42 AM
ennismaple,

You hit the nail to the coffin!
It gets sickening to hear of all the people as of late complaining of the escalating food prices. Its also sickening to hear of the farmers that are raking in the dough b/c of the higher commodity prices. They are only hearing one side of the story. The input costs to plant the crops, care for them and harvest them have risen more than the resultant income. The cost to maintain buildings has nearly tripled in the past 3 years, i.e. shingling, roofing, paint, repairs, not to mention rewiring etc..

My wife and I took a trip to western Canada last summer, i.e. Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Alberta (I am into the last of the standing wooden grain elevators)
I heard the same frustration from farmers there as here. The roads in Saskatchewan were absolutely awful! I feel so sorry for those people in those areas. One farmer from LaFleche, Sask. went as far to call the government communist in the sense that they allowed the railroads to be mostly torn up through deregulation, knocked down thousands of elevators and now the farmers are left to their own with more grain than ever traveling on the crap roads which makes them worse. He told me that alot of the tax revenue that did come from the countryside was hoarded and kept to the two largest cities, that being Saskatoon and Regina. I will not babble any longer.

Back to syrup....the bulk price from what I have been hearing in Wisconsin is no higher than $2.30/ lb. Whats going on? Anyone know? Why would prices not be closer to levels in Vermont, especially in these days of split-second communication. Wis. did have a great year, but to my knowledge Wisconsin has always been a net inporter, not exporter of syrup.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
05-01-2008, 07:12 AM
MARKCASPER

same thing here in michigan low bulk prices from the suppliers. dealer qouted me 1.75 lb for B, and they cut out the discounts this year,but their prices are the same as leaders. i dont have very much B i think i will can it and sell it retail

RICH

Dill
05-01-2008, 08:42 AM
MarkCasper
That a good point about farm prices, yes they are high. Last year we sold hay in the field for 1.75 and told people was going up this year. We haven't finalized prices yet but this year it will probably be at least 3.25. But diesel is 4.10 a gallon for offroad, more than 2 bucks a gallon higher and the tractors use just as much of it as they did last year.
We just bought a new round baler hoping that the decreased amount of labor and tractor time will be benefical.

VtSugarhouse
05-01-2008, 06:59 PM
I am glad to see the bulk prices up and the retail is up slightly.
Right now the world consmuption is 120 million lbs per year and with Canada and the US having a good year this only comes up to a 110 million lbs production (on a good year) . Hopefully we will all have about 3 years of bumper crops, but I predict that still with no back log of syrup in Canada the bulk prices will stay up and the retail will stay up.
The prices of fuel are not going to go down very much at all and the cost of replacing our equipment is not going down at all.
With the increase of taxes and all that goes into cost of producing a gallon of syrup I think the prices are here to stay.

Thats only my opinon!

peacemaker
05-01-2008, 07:36 PM
what do u all think would be a great price .. and i think all grades should be the same ...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-01-2008, 08:16 PM
All grades to "B" maybe the same, but "C", a lot of that stuff is crap and shouldn't be given the same price. I think a price scale is better, the higher the grade, the higher the price even if it is only 10 cents per grade. This rewards those who work hard and do the right things it takes to make the light stuff and don't reward the ones who don't care the same.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-01-2008, 08:28 PM
post edited

brookledge
05-01-2008, 09:13 PM
I agree as long as the market has a high demand for B and C then the wholesale price should be up as high as grade A. If it was cheaper to make then it should be cheaper but it actually requires more labor and fuel to make syrup with low sugar content.
But I still strive to make Lt. A
Keith

gmcooper
05-01-2008, 10:24 PM
I read thru this whole topic here again just to keep up tonight. There are some good points made by all here.
Just my 2 cents but here goes. The current frenzy on bulk price increase is partly based on very limited backlog of syrup. How much is sitting in PQ ? Who knows for sure but they are not out. Are they setting on some yes. Are they in a hurry to sell it ? No.
The total crop is down for US and Canada especially in major bulk producing regions. How much is it down? How many bulk producers are understating thier production to make syrup appear in even shorter supply? Some for sure.
There are a number of bulk producers that have to sell a large % of their crop every spring to pay the bills. If the price they got was high enough they don't have to sell out to pay the bills and can sit on more syrup and wait for hopefully more money. That cuts into the supply on the market currently.

Another factor that is pushing up bulk now more than ever is communication. Just here on Maple Trader there are nearly hourly updates on production, prices and even demand. 20 years ago syrup prodction was spread mostly word of mouth and highly in accurate. Bulk prices were not updated or spread throughout the maple world on a nearly hourly basis. If you were lucky you had a couple buyers to get prices from. Otherwise you sold to the same guy every year and complained that it was not enough.

Now for the million $ question where are prices going? I really think bulk is going to level off soon. once the big buyers get enough syrup in to set thier wholesale price they will quite likely see a drop in demand. Maybe only 10% but that will curb some of the urge to buy at what ever it takes. If the economy in general continues to tank, demand for syrup will also drop. If consumption drops 10-20% (my guess is 20%) bulk prices will not continue to rise and could easily drop 10% by late fall.

I think retail will level off in demand and price as once we get out of the current season (maple syrup is on consumers minds much more in spring than any other time of the year) retail sales will trail off more than usual. Just keeping the bills paid will be a bigger issue for most consumers.

Ok now while on a roll here my plan to save the world ecomony. Cut the price paid for a barrel of oil to $40.00. OPEC will scream but they will still get rich, just not in one day. Eliminate the price gouging by big oil (Exxon and the rest). They don't need to make a billion $ per day profit. Even at a billion a month they were happy at the time.

Mark

Oh yeah the Sox will take the series again but in 6 games!

driske
05-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Mark,
That's a quandry Wisconsin producer's have faced for at least the 3 decades I've been making syrup in this state. Packer's for the most part will lowball the state's crop and acquire the rest from Canada or the East at prevailing prices.We are good enough to buy their equipment, but not on a parr with the East when it comes to them buying our product.
I used to be active in the state assn. Got sick of the convuluted thinking and diatribes directed at our producer's.
If this state's packer's want a more vibrant maple industry, start by offering the same prices for syrup to Wisconsin producers as they pay for product from the NE. Sorry for venting but this hAS been a thorn in my side for a long time.
In due time I think the open flow of info. on this web site and the internet will loosen things up.

markcasper
05-02-2008, 04:22 AM
D.Riske, Congratulations on joining the trader. I do remember your presence at a few of the state assoc. gatherings. I used to be semi- active in it as well, but as of late I have not renewed my membership for 2 years now.

It should be called the Wisconsin Maple Packers and Dealers Association, not the Wisconsin Maple syrup Producers Association, since that seems what it has turned into.

You hit the NAIL ON THE HEAD in your last post. Its frustrating that there have been offers in Vermont of $3.00 lb for any grade and here we sit.....a whole $1.00 /lb. less than that. Kind of makes me feel like getting out of the business.

Parker
05-02-2008, 05:11 AM
Markcasper-kinda makes me feel like renting a big U-HAUL truck and getting a loan/dirving west and loading up a freight of the sweet stuff-returning to St. Jhonsburry and walking off with a fat wad of Ben Frankilns,,,,,but,,,,thats just me :)

royalmaple
05-02-2008, 06:23 AM
parker-

We think alike.

You guys out west should be rounding up all the syrup you can and trucking it over here. Doesn't take long at even .50/lb to add up to some serious money.

Let me know what you have to sell and I'll drive over to get it when you have a truck load.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-02-2008, 07:14 AM
post edited

Russell Lampron
05-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Brandon, The producers that make B and C to sell as bulk only do so when the sap quality drops down to where that is all that you can make. It's not a sign that they are lazy or careless. A lot of larger producers would stop making syrup when the quality dropped off to the B and C level. A level payment across the board will make it possible for those producers to continue making the syrup that the packers desperately need. The world wide demand is up and the supply is low. Keep your retail prices where your customers can still afford to buy it and if you should make enough to sell bulk sell at a higher price and enjoy it while it last.

Fred, You may not be able to buy a drum of syrup to sit on. I hear that is starting to happen already.

Parker, Your idea sounds like what the packers in Wisconsin need to have happen to them to open their eyes to the global situation and start paying their suppliers what they should.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-02-2008, 07:21 AM
post edited

fred
05-02-2008, 08:02 AM
you guys from wis. and such need to remember trucking is expensive. i was going to get 4-55 gal barrels last fall to fill orders but was going to cost me $450 to ship or 2 days travel- gas -wear and tear on my truck- couldnt justify it. same thing there it takes money to ship. as business goes best thing to do is start your own wholesale coop and raise your profits as a group. of course farmers never stick together thats why we struggle

TapME
05-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Seems to me that someone here on the coast would have a son or brother or friend that drives a big rig and could transport the product here to the higher prices. Just a thought.

MaplePancakeMan
05-02-2008, 11:14 AM
My dad has a fleet of beer trucks, but since they are printed with beer logos on them he can't legally do interstate transit. He might know someone who has a plain jane one.

markcasper
05-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Maple Hollow barrels at Bascoms? No wonder we have been told that Wisconsin cannot fill its retail needs.

maplecrest
05-02-2008, 12:52 PM
seems to me, that if you have bulk syrup for sale, and maple grove is looking to fill there orders, that you would get togather a truck load and get it here for the 1 dollar more per pound.some farmer must have a 5 wheel with a cattle trailer,or other trailer with brakes to transport. people transport horses and cows all over for not near the return this would pay.

Russ
05-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Mark, here's something that has never happened to us. My brother just called to tell me a Wisconsin packer contacted him this morning and offered $3.00 for our bulk syrup. Usually we end up calling the packers, but I believe it's a sign of the times that they need syrup now and aren't getting it. They asked for names of other large producers who might have syrup to sell as well.

markcasper
05-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Russ, they always said Wisconsin is behind the times.

jeff, maplecrest, excellent point!!! All of this pricing thing has just popped in the last week or so. I think everyone is confused as what to do just yet. Time will tell, just see Russe's last post. Mark

labman
05-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Would you, Could you, tell us who the Wisconsin packer is ? I have some to sell.

royalmaple
05-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I would take old blue but I think we might be in for a little heel toe before we got any profits from the venture. My brother has his cdl A and I mentioned it to him, If I could get enough syrup I'd make a run for sure.

Not everyone that makes commercial is a P.O.S. I'm far from lazy, but you gotta take what you get when you get it. And if it is all worth the same your foolish not to make it.

Haynes Forest Products
05-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Im having a problem with the concept. How can a supplier in canada ship drums of syrup to Wisc and still sell it cheaper than the going rate.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-02-2008, 06:47 PM
I wasn't referring to anyone who made darker grades as lazy in anyways nor even hinting that. What I am saying is that some producers can make light nearly the entire season nearly every year and for the most part, it's not by accident. It can be blended with darker grades to lighten them to lighter grades and thus making it more valueable in the opinion of some.

All I was saying is that if the price of all grades was the same price, I think the percentage of light syrup would go down significantly because there would be no reason to strive as hard to make it because whether it's B or Light A, it's all the same price. Premium products have always had a higher value in anything else agriculture.

Russell Lampron
05-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Who's to say that a darker syrup is not a premium product? Most of my customers prefer it and alot of the light syrup that the packers get is blended with commercial to make dark amber. More of that light syrup is sold as dark amber than it as light syrup.

I think the large producers will keep making the light syrup as long as they can and when it turns dark will keep on producing because it will now pay enough to produce it. It wasn't too long ago when packers were buying light syrup for $2.10 lb and were only paying $.60 lb for commercial. At those prices it cost too much to continue making syrup when the grade went away. Some but not all packers are starting to see that syrup is syrup no matter what color it is and are starting to pay for it as such.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Personally I prefer the dark syrup over the lighter, I like B the best for eating and a lot of my customers like the dark syrup the best. The light is better for candy and blending down syrup dark to a table grade, thus that's why I think it's worth more in a wholesale container because you can do a lot more with it than dark, but just my opinion.

maple maniac65
05-03-2008, 05:02 AM
Sold 176lbs of C yesterday for $2.80lb. That is $1.00 over last year. Syrup prices are at a all time high in this area. But I do not think the average consumer is going to pay the high retail price over getting gas or food for the family.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Sad part is that who knows what it would be worth 6 or 8 months from now.

Parker
05-03-2008, 07:22 AM
If you guys out west want to ship something east call a truck freight company,,they sell space by the pallett,,pretty reasonabel most of the time but call around,,most of the time they want a loading dock on both ends of the trip,,,jeff had a real good idea with the cattel trailer,,,also call a trucking dispatch company,,you might be able to find a tractor trailer looking for a backhaul to the east coast,,,,,probably if you called MapleGrove they would set you up with transportation ideas,,,or tell your local packer to pay a real price or the product is going east,,,,,

Homestead Maple
05-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Maple maniac65,
Where did you take your syrup to get this price? I was at Bascom's yesterday for the seminars, I didn't take any syrup, and while I was in the bulk storage area, I heard the guy that was taking in syrup tell someone that Bascom's was paying $2.45 a pound bulk and turing around and selling the same stuff for $3.55 a pound.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
05-03-2008, 02:55 PM
I think PARKER has the right idea.we need put a pallet together and ship it or do the small trailer and deliver. matter of fact i think i will make a vacation out of it. the little woman wants to go east this summer.

Russell Lampron
05-03-2008, 04:58 PM
I got $2.40 lb for commercial today at Bascoms. I told them it was the sweet from my front pan. Half of it was diluted with sweet from my flue pan. They may be laughing because I sold it to them for 40 to 60 cents less than what others are paying but they paid me for about 40 lbs of stuff that I would be pumping out the window otherwise.

maple flats
05-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Well, I sold my B and C to Bascom for $3.00/lb. This was by talking to Bruce, letting him know that Haven King of Maple Grove affered me $3.00 and Bruce matched it. That helped this little guy. I will now add another 400 or so taps for 09, and if RO then Vac follows soon after. I am designing my tubing set up for vac but likely will need a year of extra taps to buy RO and then a year of RO to buy VAc. An excellent season in my blueberries would help a lot too.

sapman
05-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Flats,

Good for you! Saved yourself a fair haul north. I did run to Maple Grove on Thursday with my B and C, etc. It took extra fuel and time, but we got to see nice scenery and meet a great fellow 'Trader.

Tim

Haynes Forest Products
05-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Maple flats get the vac first then th RO. You will be kicking your self when you have all the sap thru th RO and your done in 2 hrs. Now with Vacuum you can sell what sap you dont use. The cost of setting up vac to a well set up tube system is cheap if your handy with the tools.

Russell Lampron
05-05-2008, 05:22 AM
I agree with Haynes Forest Products. Do the vacuum first than get the RO. I did both at the same time because I was already swimming in sap. It would be better for you to add the vacuum to your existing taps instead of adding the other 400 then add in the other 400 after you have the vacuum. The amount of additional sap that you will get from your existing taps should pay for the vacuum in one season.

markcasper
05-06-2008, 02:24 AM
Why don't everyone tell Bascom that so-and so offered $3.00 lb.

802maple
05-06-2008, 05:47 AM
Plus a minimum of an additional 5 cents a lb if delivered to us in St Johnsbury at Maple Grove.

hookhill
05-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Bascoms gave you $3.00/lb for commercial!! Dam......We brought some down 10 days ago and got $2.00/lb. That kind of pisses me off. Us sugarmakers really dont make that much compared to our expenses and time. They ought to make that right for all us guys that brought it early. To hell with it. I'm sitting on mine from here on out.

Parker
05-06-2008, 10:11 AM
I think we all have a pretty good memory and will act accordingly next year,,,,there can be a pretty steep learning curve in a situation like this.....

802maple
05-06-2008, 12:22 PM
I am about to stick my foot in my mouth and probably get banned from the maple industry, but that is why you have to shop around. Ten days ago I put a offer on here for 2.80 a lb and 2 days later it went up to 3.00 for all grades.
Plus if you sold me syrup at the beginning of the season you will get a check for the difference of whatever the price is June 1st. So as of right now the sugarmakers that sold me syrup on March 15th will get up to 1.05 a lb more for there syrup. Plus people that deliver their syrup to Maple Grove I give them atleast 5 cents more to help in delivery depending on how far you have to go.

I am putting on bullet proof vest as we speak.

markcasper
05-06-2008, 02:45 PM
At least 802 is offering that price to everyone and not picking and choosing who gets the better price. Which is just plain wrong!

mountainvan
05-06-2008, 02:56 PM
I hate to say this being a maple producer, but the fast rise in price is getting crazy. I got some 5 gal. pails in January for $150, now it's $210. That's up $11, or 37% a gallon in 4 months. If gasoline prices, which everyone in america is worrying about, went up that much since January it would be $5.00 a gallon. Milk would be over $5.00 a gallon, etc.. I think as an industry we're leaning toward putting ourselves out of business or making maple syrup the sweetener of the ultra rich.

halfast tapper
05-06-2008, 05:35 PM
I can remember back in the 80's when the price of syrup was 55 dollars a gallon. The prices will level out by june , then they will stay there for a year or little longer. When canada has a bumper year the prices will drop again.
As far as going out of business , the people are hooked , they will buy it.

MaplePancakeMan
05-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Yes some will still buy it but, its not crack. 9 bucks for a pint of syrup is 2.5 gallons of gas. If they have to choose it will be the gas.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-06-2008, 09:00 PM
and the prices will drop when the consumers quit buying syrup too. The need, gas, milk and bread which have all went up significantly in the past 12 months, they don't need syrup for the most part.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-06-2008, 09:04 PM
One thing about Jerry(802maple), he is one of the good guys in the industry and will help you out in any way he can!

2 thumbs up for Jerry!!!!

gmcooper
05-06-2008, 11:12 PM
I've got to say that Jerry(802 Maple) sure has my respect for helping out and passing on his knowledge to fellow producers! I haven't seen very many other buyers keeping producers up to date on bulk prices. One of these days I've got to take a trip to VT!
Mark

markcasper
05-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Mark, Thats the whole plan though isn't it? They don't want us to know the TRUE price and hope we all are in the dark. 3 cheers for Jerry (802).

Pete33Vt
05-07-2008, 03:37 AM
When I sold my syrup about two weeks ago, to the same buyer I have been going to for years, I got 2.50 for my AD and 2.30 for B and 2.20 for C the buyer made sure to call me when the price went up. Which was only one day after I sold. Its called loyalty he knows if he didn't make good on the differance he would lose all my syrup and quite a few other peoples also. As far as the price jumps and sugarmakers getting upset has any one called the buyers and asked them about the differance? And if you are looking to make enough money to pay for your time I think your in the wrong business. I know for a fact the syrup prices will never be in line with what it cost to make it. Knowing that I keep producing and am happy with what I make. And people are right Jerry is one of the good guys. Which happens quite a bit if you are loyal to a buyer. Instead of jumping around and selling five gallons here and five gallons there to make a few cents more. So all in all for me I am going to take the prices as they come, if it drops so be it if it jumps up so be it. I am just going to make the best product I can, enjoy doing it, and hope it will work out. The big factor in this is we are not going to know what next years crop will bring us until after its made. And it makes no sense to drive alot of extra miles just to get more money for our syrup cause like has been said GAS is up.
These are just my 2 cents and am not trying to offend anyone.

tapper
05-07-2008, 05:00 AM
When I sold my syrup about two weeks ago, to the same buyer I have been going to for years, I got 2.50 for my AD and 2.30 for B and 2.20 for C the buyer made sure to call me when the price went up. Which was only one day after I sold. Its called loyalty he knows if he didn't make good on the differance he would lose all my syrup and quite a few other peoples also. As far as the price jumps and sugarmakers getting upset has any one called the buyers and asked them about the differance? And if you are looking to make enough money to pay for your time I think your in the wrong business. I know for a fact the syrup prices will never be in line with what it cost to make it. Knowing that I keep producing and am happy with what I make. And people are right Jerry is one of the good guys. Which happens quite a bit if you are loyal to a buyer. Instead of jumping around and selling five gallons here and five gallons there to make a few cents more. So all in all for me I am going to take the prices as they come, if it drops so be it if it jumps up so be it. I am just going to make the best product I can, enjoy doing it, and hope it will work out. The big factor in this is we are not going to know what next years crop will bring us until after its made. And it makes no sense to drive alot of extra miles just to get more money for our syrup cause like has been said GAS is up.
These are just my 2 cents and am not trying to offend anyone.

I agree 100%

hookhill
05-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Yep, its all part of the learning curve. 802maple sounds like the man to deal with and he is closer to us than Bascoms. I will try talking with Bruce and see what his take on it is. If the price goes down after we sell it, should we be sending a check back to the packers?!!

Mike
05-07-2008, 08:43 AM
I sold my syrup about 2 weeks ago and got $2.90 lb for B grade and $2.80 lb for C............

markcasper
05-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Pete, I agree with you for the most part, BUT those packers would do the same thing if the tables were turned. If a sugarmaker has 500-1000 gallons or more to sell bulk, $1.00 lb. difference between regions demands an explanation.

With C grade selling at $2.oo lb. =$22.00/gallon to the sugarmaker. The packer gets it and bottles it up, then suddenly its worth $4.50 +, or in the range of $50.00/. That too demands an explanation. The packer is making much more than the producer who made it for the packer in the first place.

We buy the equipment retail and sell our product wholesale. I guess us sugarmakers are the unsmart ones.

maple flats
05-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Haynes Forest Products, I am pretty much maxed out on boiling time now, that is why I will not add vac before I can process faster. I boil alone most of the time and with my other committments in my schedule I can not devote much more time. I must increase process rate first, then add vac.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-12-2008, 08:09 AM
post edited

Haynes Forest Products
05-13-2008, 12:34 AM
Talked to Roth Sugarbush in Codatt Wisc. and they were paying 2.30 lb for light. and that was on friday

220 maple
05-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Hey Traders I heard a good one.

I was told the other day about a buyer who had when up north to buy syrup as he always does this time of year, He set up for three days at that location, two brothers came by on the first day and sold him their syrup as they have for many years. They agreed on the price. They came back two days later with the money and wanted their syrup back. They found out that they could get more money for it from another buyer. He let them have it back. He probably didn't have to give it back. He in my opinion is one of the good ones like the buyer from maple grove.

Pete33Vt
05-16-2008, 03:23 AM
Yes he seems like a good guy to give them there money back. But I am sure next year he won't be ready to offer them better prices then anyone else. Buyers remember people like that, so next year if they are offered alot less for the syrup they will have to shop around for a better price and start the loyalty thing all over.

VtSugarhouse
05-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Just for general information I understand that IMSI has announced that this years total production of Syrup was 88 million lbs of syrup. The World demand is for 120 million lbs and an average year for all producers is about 110 million lbs.
Guess we need to massage our maple trees this summer and hope for a bumper crop next year as the prices are not going to go down.

Looking at next year and hoping 2009 will be a good one!

ryan marquette
05-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Maple Hollow is paying $2.00 B & C & $2.30 for A. They were paying 2.00 & 2.25 in January. Can someone help me understand why the eastern syrup is worth a dollar more than WI syrup? I think we all have the same opperating cost, don't we?

sapman
05-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Does anyone know if prices have risen more since the beginning of the month? Last I heard was basically $2.80-3.00/lb, depending on where you are, with Vt. buyers paying the most.

Thanks,
Tim

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
05-22-2008, 09:18 PM
sapman i dont think anything has changed

RICH

Homestead Maple
05-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Ryan Marquette,

The economy of a region decides what people will pay for syrup. Syrup south of where I'm located sells for more than what people get around here because it's closer to Boston and other large cities. I ran into a sugar maker I know at a road agents show today and in talking about bulk prices he said that syrup has gone to $3.80 a pound in his area.

Pete33Vt
05-23-2008, 03:25 AM
I was told yesterday syrup was up to 3.25-3.75.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-23-2008, 06:33 AM
post edited

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-23-2008, 07:08 AM
post edited

mapleman3
05-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Thats the same prices she quoted me on Monday for the good stuff from Ma. ;)

So it hasn't changed, but I am waiting, I bet we'll see much higher than that.

markcasper
05-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Well its plain bull that Wisconsin is practically a $1 pound lower than out east. Last time I checked a roll of tubing was not 30% lower here than in Vermont. Whoever said the part about syrup prices would match the economy around it. Well news for you.....the equipment is all the same price here or there and Wisconsin is #8 overall in the tax burden of all 50 states.

I know what the solution is...a maple co-op as others have suggested. And yeh yer right about not being any competition out here as far as packers ago. Hopefully with the US dollar collapse that inevitably is coming, it will open up even more markets over sees. Maybe the Asians will be over soon (along with some ALB)and start taking some packers out when we're all broke from the $8 gas that will be here soon. What a shame in this country....when a ton of scrap iron is still worth more than a ton of corn.

mapleman3
05-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Don't quote me on this but thank China for the scrap metal and other resources being so high.. AND oil,there is so much being used up there now it's out of control, Thats why our evaporators are so expensive now... Raw Materials are so effected from all the construction over there.

markcasper
05-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Im not complaining of scrap being too high. I was making an observation in relation to all of the crap you see and here in the paper and on tv and radio. Corn... a basic survival necessity, is still less per ton than a ton of scrap iron. But yet on the news its always, food and energy costs, energy and food, food and energy, on and on in every newscast and paper. People in this country have had cheap food and cheap energy way too long. They balme every rise of price of food on ethanol, the fact of the matter...corn and grain is still way too cheap.

As far as oil, the US has tons of oil that is not being let out. Just watch...when oil does reach $150 /barrel, all of the sudden the so called environment talk will go out the window. When it reaches 200 barrel, global warming will be something we used to talk about.

Father & Son
05-23-2008, 10:43 AM
China is buying up all the steel they can from anywhere they can because they have their steel mills shut down in an effort to clean up their environment before the olympics, that's what I was told.

Jim

mapleman3
05-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Ya ever since they were awarded the games.... but even before that it was bad there because they are building up so fast due the the population... Whats the USA 300 Million? they are around a 1.3 Billion !!! They better start consuming more MAPLE SYRUP !

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-23-2008, 03:44 PM
post edited

802maple
05-24-2008, 05:14 AM
I am not sure how one of the larger coops here in Vermont works, but I remember to be something like this. All the members sign in to a loan that will pay a up front payment on their syrup. For example this year they might get a loan that would forward them 2.00 a lb. for every lb. they put in the coop and then the coop would shop it around until they got there best price. Then they would pay off the loan and give the dividens to the membership. There is more to it then that but I don't have all the details. That way you are not putting such a burden on finding someone with big coins in their pockets. If you could get most of the midwest syrup in a pile, the packers here in the east would take notice and so wouldn't your local packers.

Jerry

220 maple
05-24-2008, 05:50 AM
Homestead Maple

3.80 a pound? Thats over $40.00 dollars a gallon, how much will they ask retail? I've been selling mine retail for $ 38.00 dollars a gallon, apparently I've been giving my customers a bargain!!! I visited a fellow syrupmaker Thursday evening, I had not talked to him for a year and a half probably. He like the rest of us in this region had a good year. He is selling his quarts for $9.00 dollars. He had someone buy 100 quarts off of him. He said the customer has a retail venue of some kind in Virginia and is reselling each quart for $15.00 dollars. He has requested 500 quarts for next season. My friend also told me that syrup is priced at $65.00 dollars a gallon at Canaan Valley Resort in West Virginia. You know what my next question was. Are they selling it at that price or is it taking up space on the shelf?????? Because if they have customers at $65.00 a gallon? I could save them some money that they could use for gas. I hated to do it but I raised my retail prices this year, gal. 38.00 half gal 20.00, quart 11.00, pint 6.00. half pint 4.00

Mark 220 Maple

DS Maple
05-24-2008, 07:49 PM
I got the most recent price list from McLure's Honey and Maple Products yesterday and couldn't believe what I saw. Hopefully I won't have to buy any additional syrup this year. A five gallon pail of grade B is now $310.65. Their suggested retail price for a gallon of syrup is almost $80, ($79.24 for medium, $77.94 for B,) and for a quart of medium they recommend $20.61. Finally we are seeing prices that are actually fair. Up at the Dublin School we have been charging $20 per quart for three years now (kind of as a fundraiser), and people pay it. I'm just happy to see that other producers will now be able to get a little more for their syrup as well.

Homestead Maple
05-24-2008, 09:31 PM
220 Maple,

I've seen Gallons at $49.50 - $55.00, half gallons at $36 - $42.00, quarts at $16.00 and up around here lately. I don't think they're selling a lot but it is moving. $45.00 a gallon and $25.00 for a half gallon seems to be the norm though.

markcasper
05-25-2008, 02:30 AM
Interesting.....you are from NH and $55.00 was the high per gallon retail that you stated. And if you have bulk....its like $3.00/lb. Yet I know of packers here selling retail for $55.00 and there paying bulk only in the $2.30/lb range.

Maybe you should tell some New England packers to bail and come on over to Wisconsin. Theres way more money to be made here off all these looney producers.

paul
06-01-2008, 08:23 AM
So here we are June 1st, has the price of bulk syrup gone above 3.00lb or has it stayed the same. Its going to be interesting to see were it goes in the near future. How about it Beanie has Maple Grove raised thier price on bulk or has it stayed the same at 3.00lb

Paul

maplwrks
06-01-2008, 10:49 AM
$3.25 as of tomorrow

802maple
06-03-2008, 07:36 AM
Our price as of now for the summer will be 3.25 a lb. for all grades.

sapman
06-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Just wanted to say that I got my check for the difference between my sell price and the current price today! 802's organization certainly operates with a lot of integrity in this regard, and we are most impressed.

Tim

Parker
06-08-2008, 04:52 AM
They will have my syrup next year.

802maple
06-08-2008, 06:22 AM
I would like to thank everyone that has sold us syrup. Everyone that had their check cut from Maple Grove directly should get bonus this weekend or Monday at the latest. All others that dealt directly with me will have their bonus by the end of the week. Please tell me if you don't have success in getting your bonus.

Thanks again

Jerry