PDA

View Full Version : tap rent

maple man-iac
04-24-2008, 09:42 PM
I tap the neighbors trees. Three landlords in total. My question is what is the going rate for tap rent per hole? The locations I collect from range in size from 18 taps to 50 taps. Any help with this question is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

brookledge
04-24-2008, 09:47 PM
This year I going with .40 per tap. If you do a search on the site it has been discussed before. It will vary depending on your location.
keith

maple flats
04-25-2008, 05:17 AM
I paid >40/tap this season but I am thinking on going .45 next. I know of at least one producer around here who paid .50 this season. I would sooner pay any given price for locations that were bigger and or closer. For this season I dropped 2 locations that were 60 on tubing and a 49 tap on buckets because of the driving and collection time and I added in another location where I have permission to go a lot more on tubing and eventually with vac. With gas prices thru the roof the driving time gets even more of a factor.

TapME
04-25-2008, 06:02 AM
Last year a rule of thumb was a gallon of syrup per 100 taps. If you do the math it would give you an estimate on the price per hole.

Jim Brown
04-25-2008, 06:25 AM
We pay the land owner 25 cents for natural flow and 50 cents if we put them on vac.

Jim

sapman
04-25-2008, 06:05 PM
I set a bad precedent (for me, not tree owners) years ago by overpaying in syrup. But one time in an association letter a range of 33 taps/gal. - 100 taps/gal. or so was mentioned. I tended toward the 33 range, which eats up a lot of syrup. Not sure what owners would think if I lowered payments. But some I pay outrageously because I know their trees often run buckets over in a single day, so I apply things on a relative basis.

Sometimes I think I would pay $1/tap if I could get a nice big bush. On a 1000 tap bush, $500/yr doesn't really sound like much to a landowner who may be considering logging. But it seems like $1000/yr would be more convincing. Of course, a bad season could be disastrous for me, I suppose. But I wonder if a maple business could feasibly pay $1/tap on an average year?

Tim