PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Tappers

Brad W Wi
04-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Now that things are slowing down and before some of you stop checking in on here. I'm wondering how many are from Wisconsin and your location. I've got my sugarbush just south of Winter, Sawyer Co. on Co. W. Brad & Linda's Sugarbush.

Quadmom
04-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Fremont Wis.
Personal use and gifts, production with 7 taps, using 2 pans that hold 5 gallons sap each over a 2 burner propane stove. Made about 2 1/2 gallons this year.

PETE FELCH
04-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Fifield Wis hwy 70 @cty B 12000 taps 3000 gal this year. Way too many things to list. Patterson sugarbush

Haynes Forest Products
04-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Im in Door County at the end of HWY 57 in the thumb of Wisc. With the lake on both sides weather can change in 2 min. Wont run when its 45 and windy and will run at 35 and sunny. Gota love it.

petersp22
04-24-2008, 04:42 PM
I'm just off 47 north of Lake Tomahawk a couple miles. Just a small hobby setup for personal use.

bison1973
04-24-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm just off Hwy 10 in southeastern Clark Coounty (near Lynn). 620 taps this year (up to 700 next season). Buckets, bags, gravity tubing, 3x10 CDL evaporator with rear hood.

Tim Sternitzky

sticky face
04-25-2008, 07:21 AM
Hi Brad W.
I am from Amery Wi. but tap at Winter Wi.
I have seen your sign on W.
I have 10 acres and a cabin 4-5 miles noth and east of you on Tower Road.
I run 75-80 taps. It would be nice to meet and /or talk to you sometime.
I don't know if you are aware of it, but there are at least 3 others who
tap near me on Tower road as well, but I don't think they are members on here.

Sugar Daddy
04-25-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm in Suamico, about 6 miles NW of Green Bay. My brother also taps - near Townsend.

Brad W Wi
04-25-2008, 06:38 PM
I've got to believe there are more out there.

Brad W Wi
04-25-2008, 06:50 PM
You have a message coming your way

DOlson
04-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi Brad I,m in Washburn county near Sarona WI. first year tapping I,m hooked.

yooper
04-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Hi all, tapping at the house just south of Oconto Falls. Made about 10 gallons this year, selling some and giving (gifts) some away. I may tap more next year, but would like something bigger for more gph, averaged about 12gph this year.

WI Sugarpop
04-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Hi, I'm from Plymouth. About 1 hour south of the Packers & 1 hour north of the Brewers. My son & I have been mapling for about 10+ years. We're always trying to improve on our skills. I just stumbled on this site a couple weeks ago and its great for learning. Thanks everyone. Also, all our friends and family love to get our maple syrup.

Brad W Wi
04-27-2008, 06:21 PM
See, I knew there were more out there. Lets hear from some more

Monroecheeseman
04-27-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm in southern Wisconsin right on the Wisconsin and Illinois border. It's just a hobby that we've been doing in my family for at least 4 generations. Tapped about 50 trees this year and got over 40 gallons. I'm running out of friends and family to give it too! I've seen pictures of all the nice shacks, and it sure makes me envious. Now how do you convince your wife that you need to build a building just for making maple syrup!:D

Russ
04-28-2008, 01:27 PM
See the signature block for details. This was our 20th year; started with 400 taps and sold the sap, except for 40 gallons we held back and cooked down. Can't remember all the flat pan and evaporator systems we've gone through as we've gotten bigger. Sell about half our crop as retail, the rest bulk. We sell a lot at our folks' ice cream shoppe:

http://www.windmillicecream.com

Located between Highway M and Highway 86 off of Tower Road in western Lincoln County, NW of Merrill. A couple of other big and small producers on Tower Road as well.

Haynes Forest Products
04-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Cheesman
Get her some candy molds and take down the calander from Petes auto barn make it a nice place to be. I dont mean curtains give her some space. Oh and when you get that cook shack built get a cheap grill and do some cooking

labman
05-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Located in Spencer 700 buckets looking for an RO and up to 1000 next year

Jeff E
06-17-2008, 09:44 AM
I am located between Spooner and Sarona, WI.

Tapped 350 last year on bags and buckets, and have bit the bullet and am expanding to 1600+on vacuum...it is going to be a fun(!) year.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
06-17-2008, 02:53 PM
JEFF E

you will enjoy vacuum, once it is up and running its great.

RICH

lpakiz
06-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi, I'm Larry. I started about 3 years ago, tapping trees we planted when we built the house.
We're located in Central Clark County, just west of Greenwood. Made about 12 gallons this year--most ever.
Really enjoy this forum and all the knowledge to be gained here...

Larry

Sugarmaker
06-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Larry, Not many folks planting trees they planted! Nice job!

Chris

matrob
09-13-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm south of Rib Lake, just east of Hwy C. Homemade flat pan 3x6 evaprator with forced draft. About 150 taps for now keeps it a fun hobby. Russ and stickyface out toward the tower road, Sometime we'll have to get together so I get some more crazy ideas.
Matt

Haynes Forest Products
12-20-2008, 11:47 PM
JEFFE My wife would shoot me if I tried to go back for that. My calander is full this coming year. Have you been to any of them?

Jeff E
12-21-2008, 11:10 PM
I have not been to one of theirs. Pete and Dawn just filled me in on it, as I am a new customer of theirs. They say 'bring the whole family, lunch on us", so me and the missus and the kiddos will take them up on it. It is always good to meet fellow saps.

I will be getting a visit from Pete and the CDL tech in late Jan or so to get the low down on my new RO and pump. Great customer care. I have to give kudos to the Mapleguys, as I called them regarding an RO and the directed me to the Roths, as a good local supplier who carries CDL equipment.

jenigl12
01-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Egg Harbor, WI- 350+ buckets. Taking a year off (probly 4) while I'm going to college in Ashland, WI. I'm probly one of the youngest (19) here. Kinda wished spring break was also tapping time. Soon as Im out of school I'll be back!

P.S.- Anybody near Ashland need a helping hand around tapping time? Give me a hollar!

C.Wilcox
01-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Germantown, WI- Just 10-15 taps in my yard to keep in practice, but hoping someday to expand substantially.

Haynes Forest Products
01-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Jenigl12 sold all by bulk last year to Schartner Farm Market just down the road from you.

Chemist
01-25-2009, 09:11 PM
I tap in my backyard. Big Cedar lake region of the Town of West Bend.

jtcinv
01-27-2009, 04:19 PM
I've been making a couple of gallons for the past 4-5 years. Building my sugar house now in an effort to maximize my cost per gallon. Hope to heck it gets done in the next couple of weeks before the trees start weeping for us.

I tap 30-50 trees near Mountain, WI.

Jeff

SHOCKERS
01-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Just started last year. I found a new hobby!!! Put in about 20 taps last year. Going to put in about 40 this year.Tap in the Fox Vally.

Haynes Forest Products
01-28-2009, 01:14 AM
SHOCKERS what part of the Fox Valley? I think 1/2 the wisconsin tappers are in the witness protection program. We wont come take your stuff REALLY

SHOCKERS
01-28-2009, 04:06 PM
I tapped trees on my brothers land in Dale last year (17) taps. I also tapped 7 in the Village of Kimberly. I found out that I get a lot more sap out of the town trees than the woods. I got the same amount of sap out of the 7 in town than I did out of the 17 in the woods. So this year, I have 30 trees set up in town to tap. My question is: Do you guys tap If there is a short warm up in weather (in the 40's next weekend) and then it goes back to cold?

Haynes Forest Products
01-28-2009, 05:24 PM
i woulnt do it. I think besides the mold problem if it froze up for another month the tree could dry out and effect sap rates.

SHOCKERS
01-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info!!!!!

Quadmom
01-29-2009, 08:26 AM
I would venture a guess the trees in town did better because it got warmer in Kimberly sooner than the woods in Dale did. I also wouldn't tap until a consistant walming is predicted.
Sandy

SHOCKERS
01-29-2009, 06:04 PM
I agree with you Sandy. Also they have a bigger crown in town to produce more sap.

Chemist
01-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Well, Feb. 1st tomorrow. I am starting to get things ready. I have my 32 taps.

This year I want to try to run some tubing from the top of my hill down to my stove instead of carrying the buckets. I just can't think of the perfect thing to hook the tube to on the top of the hill.

I might use a cooler on the top of the hill and try to connect the tubing to the drain on the bottom.

Does anyone use tubing to run sap downhill from trees that they tap with buckets?

maple flats
01-31-2009, 04:58 PM
I have heard of that. Get a dump station that will hold at least what you carry per trip with a bottom outlet and hook a pipe to it. Make sure you have no low spots or make sure it drains completely when done collecting sap, so it won't spoil in a low spot nor freeze. At the bottom have it empty into a suitable container. Good luck.

cathleenc
02-01-2009, 11:04 AM
anyone tapping already this year? I'd love to follow in your expertise as to when to start tapping. This will be our first year - tapping a whole 2 silver maples in our yard and just got offered tapping priviledges at a neighboring farm.

We're in the nw corner of dane county.

Cathy

Brad W Wi
02-01-2009, 02:14 PM
I was at my sugarbush (Winter Wi) this past weekend. Strapped on the snowshoes and took a walk. Lots of snow about 2 feet . I got an invetory of bottles left from last year so I'll be placing that order soon. Got some spare parts for my Marcland. Wood is all set and I've dropped some treees for future wood. Everything looks good even "Big Allis" started up with out much groaning. I hope the snow goes down alot before I start drilling, Last year was a real pain with the deeper snow. I'm looking foward to starting up again this year, I have 3 friends that help, I lost one to Arizona this year he won't be back till we're done and may lose one to a move to Michigan. #3 says it's starting to get real hard for him so maybe I can get him to just drive "Big Allis" My son moved so I might get him once and awhile if that. But if I have to do it alone I will, I really enjoy doing it. Good Luck to all and lets hear from more of WISCONSIN TAPPERS and where your located

Mike Gerend
02-01-2009, 08:18 PM
I am in Maiden Rock in the Northwest. Hundred of maples on the property and tapped 100 last year and going for 200 this year. Took my sap to a nearby sugarhouse last year and took the big plunge this year. Building the house as we speak and Mike Jacque is making custom pans for me in Thorp. Bought an old arch from a farmer in the area.

Cannot wait for the season to start, but I have alot to do and can use the time.

I was at my sugarbush (Winter Wi) this past weekend. Strapped on the snowshoes and took a walk. Lots of snow about 2 feet . I got an invetory of bottles left from last year so I'll be placing that order soon. Got some spare parts for my Marcland. Wood is all set and I've dropped some treees for future wood. Everything looks good even "Big Allis" started up with out much groaning. I hope the snow goes down alot before I start drilling, Last year was a real pain with the deeper snow. I'm looking foward to starting up again this year, I have 3 friends that help, I lost one to Arizona this year he won't be back till we're done and may lose one to a move to Michigan. #3 says it's starting to get real hard for him so maybe I can get him to just drive "Big Allis" My son moved so I might get him once and awhile if that. But if I have to do it alone I will, I really enjoy doing it. Good Luck to all and lets hear from more of WISCONSIN TAPPERS and where your located

SHOCKERS
02-04-2009, 04:56 PM
What are you guys & girls thinking. Too early to tap, I just looked at the 7 Day forcast, starting on Friday everday is going to be above freezing!!!! Should I tap or is it still too early. This is only my second year doing this so I am not sure. I am tapping mostly in town, and it seems to get a little warmer, there not much wind. Please let me know asap if I should tap, I would like to do it this weekend. I was thinking of only taping about 1.5 deep and if they start to dry up, tap to 2 inches.

Thanks for any info.

Haynes Forest Products
02-04-2009, 05:19 PM
I dont tap till March 15 in Door County but that because Im surrounded by water so the lake has alot to say about the weather. If the snow melts and you get puddles every day its time.

SHOCKERS
02-04-2009, 09:09 PM
I think I will put one tap in on Saturday and see what happens. I see some guys in Michigan are going to tap.

jenigl12
02-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Jenigl12 sold all by bulk last year to Schartner Farm Market just down the road from you.

I have no idea where you got that idea? Thats pretty far for me!

Jeff E
02-05-2009, 09:46 AM
WAIT!!!!

We may get a little warm up but the trees are frozen and we are a long way from frost going out of the ground.

The earliest I will tap is the last week of Feb. I have done that 3 of the last 5 years due to warm weather that week going into March.

Our best times are mid to late march and early to mid april. I would hate to have taps that are aleady 6 weeks old going into prime time. The taps may be healing up and you will get less than half the sap of a fresher tap. Make sure your taps are very clean and that will help keep the microorganisms from healing up the tree to fast.

Haynes Forest Products
02-05-2009, 09:55 AM
jenigl12 Im confused what idea?

Brad W Wi
02-05-2009, 10:02 AM
I checked my log I usually tap around the 15 of March and thats in Sawyer Co. Last year with the snow on the ground it was to early. An old timer told me to wait till the snow starts pulling away from the base of the trees. Don't rush into to it. As Jeff E said you will have your taps in the trees for weeks before it really runs. Chances are this is just a short thaw.

jenigl12
02-05-2009, 12:03 PM
jenigl12 Im confused what idea?

None of my sap/syrup went to Schartners, I'm thinking you meant my grandpa John in Carlsville? My family runs Hyline Orchards in Fish Creek.

Haynes Forest Products
02-05-2009, 01:32 PM
OK clear now. I sold 100 gallons to Dave Schartner last year and he ran out of everything just from his road side stand. If all goes well if your back in Door around the 15 of March stop in. If you go towards Cave point from 57 in Jacksonport You will see my shack on the right 3rd right from 57 come one by.

SHOCKERS
02-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Man Is it nice out right now. I have a hard time not picking up my drill!!!!!

Haynes Forest Products
02-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Easy now settle down things will change your starting to spook the rest of the herd. PUT THE DRILL DOWN AND BACK AWAY

SHOCKERS
02-07-2009, 11:33 AM
I KNOW!!!!! Just have a hard time waiting. Have to go take my girl to play some basketball to keep my mind off of it.

Packerfan
02-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Anyone buying SAP around Stone Lake wisconsin?

Jeff E
02-09-2009, 01:57 PM
I will PM you, I have some ideas....

Spooner

Dave Puhl
02-09-2009, 09:28 PM
DP here...to hot too early...Juneau Co...near Mauston..2x6.... no wood cut yet but got lots of dead elm...I dont think we will have a good year now...unless it freezes up hard again....

SHOCKERS
02-12-2009, 05:54 PM
The good news is that most of the snow is gone. Going to get cold again.:D

Haynes Forest Products
02-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Thats what I like to hear it tends to calm the herd. Im in the prosses of crating and trying to box everything that I squirled away all year. I hate driving to Green Bay to get everything.

SHOCKERS
02-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Just so you know Haynes next warm up I'm grabbing my drill for good. The good news is it does not look like it will warm up till March.:rolleyes:

Haynes Forest Products
02-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Last year I got a call and everyone was tapping march 1st and said I better get going. I waited till the 15th and glad I did it shut down and didnt start till I taped the hole woods. I have been lucky with timing so Ill wait it out. Keep the batteries charged and warm.

SHOCKERS
02-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Put in six test taps today see what happens.

C.Wilcox
02-23-2009, 07:10 PM
One of my friends tapped his solo sugar maple in Milwaukee last weekend. Talked to him today and he said he got a few gallons total last week. I noticed that the stubs left from the suckers I cut off my box elders have been starting to leak as well so I think I'm going to put my taps in this week/weekend.

Packerfan
02-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Sunny,warm,but windy.35.
Could hit 40 Wed.
Maybe tap a few (south) next week.
When I get most of the taps in, I want it to be POURING on me! 3/15?

SHOCKERS
02-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Well checked my taps at noon not a drop!!!! Went back at 5:30 had about three gal.

Packerfan
02-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Glad it's running. Hope the temps pick up next week. I got the fever bad.

-Dan

Packerfan
02-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Looks like we may have 30's/40's from Mon.-Sun. in southern Wis.
Time for me to put 'em all in. All on tubing, so I should be ok.
I have the time. So I will put all taps in.

-Dan

Jeff E
02-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Below zero last night and tonight, with 6" of fresh light snow here in NW Wisconsin.

Maybe next week....More time to put in more laterals!!!
Had some friends come up yesterday to help out. They are both endurance athletes, do triathalons, Birkie ski marathons, etc.
Last night after a day in the woods in a winter storm, they were toast.
This morning they said they felt worse than after a marathon ski race!!! But they soldiered on and worked hard this morning.

Of coarse if I did a ski marathon, I suppose I would be lame for a week. Its all what we are used to I guess.

Pat Trevor
04-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Hi Jeff
We tapped 550 taps this year and ended up with 220 gal. We pulled early because we had enough. We have two pans side by side 32"X90" with a copper coil around smoke pipe for preheat and a circulating pump wood heat. 20'X24' sap shack on 40 acres. 10 of which is wooded mostly hard maple. I am very interested in a vacum pump and gravity lines. We are tierd
of cleaning pails. We are located 50 miles north of Green Bay at Hickory Corners.

Jeff E
04-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Pat-What a super year!!!
That is great production from 550 taps.
If you are considering tubing your woods, you have a lot of work ahead of you, but it is worth it for the next season.

I may be involved with a tubing seminar in May. If you are interested in being a part of it, let me know (private message may be best) and I will get you the particulars.

It is good to do a lot of research before deciding and buying. If you can make the decision before the early season discounts end, that helps to!

Pat Trevor
04-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Hi Jeff
I have been doing this for over 20 years and have never seen it run like this year. I definately would like to participate in a tubeing seminar along with my brother and son. Could you send me the info?

Jeff E
04-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Tubing Seminar!!!

The date is set. It is going to be May 9th, 8am to 3 pm at Andersons Maple Syrup Inc, near Cumberland WI, with a Leader Tech (Brad) leading the day. RSVP with Steve Anderson at 715 822 8512 by May 2.
steve@andersonsmaplesyrup.com

There will be limited space, so RSVP ASAP if you are going to attend. Also the early season discounts are available there through May 20.

One thing to note, we will be actually doing hands on work so dress for being outside that day.

PETE FELCH
04-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Called Steve today signed us up for the tubing show. Its about time he starts to make his own again.

ToddHintz
04-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Hi Pete,

What kind of a set up do you have? I see your dad every once in awhile at the lumber yard - didn't know you were a "tapper!"

Made 5 gal this year with only 34 taps.

PETE FELCH
04-26-2009, 08:46 AM
I myself work for Dick Patterson in the winter when the work is slow for the IUOE 139. Dick currently has around 11000 on tubing and about 2000 on buckets he buys . My 12 yr old daughter and her 13 year old friend next door sells him sap from 200 of those taps.