PDA

View Full Version : boiling in a non stick pot?

barrelstove
04-22-2008, 09:04 AM
i needed to ask this questions about an hour after the trader went down, so i made do, but for future reference im going to ask anyways.

i had a large batch to finnish off on the kitchen stove and it was going to take 2 or three batches in my on stainless steel pot, so i reached for the other big pot i have and realized it was a non stick one that my wife had brought into what is now our kitchen. (unless you ask her, in which case it is her kitchen. i didnt boil in it for fear of the syrup picking up flavors from the non stick or viceversa, or even finding teflon chunks in my tee shirt filters.

so, any opinions or experiences boiling in a non stick pot?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-22-2008, 09:40 AM
I have never had any problem with in when making candy.

MaplePancakeMan
04-22-2008, 10:24 AM
No problems here, thats what i used to make syrup when i first started and finish with. Stainless is generally better just remember and i'm sure you're wife has told you NO Metal Objects in the pan! Otherwise i don't see a problem

barrelstove
04-22-2008, 11:25 AM
cool, thanks guys.

the only downside i can see then is that the light in the fume hood over my stove wont reflect off the bottom of the pan. i always enjoyed watching the color.

now i just have to remember this til next year!

mountainvan
04-22-2008, 11:58 AM
I've tried with our celefan or fon or something pots that are teflon coated, but have the little ridges on the bottom. Foamed was too much, must be the ridges. I went back to making sugars and cream with my old faithful stainless pots.