PDA

View Full Version : Another Building a Sugar House

Amber Gold
04-21-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm looking at building a sugar house this season. I also need a garage and a wood shed for both sugaring wood and house wood. I was originally thinking of building a 30x20 building with an attic. 14'x20' of the building would be for the sugaring business and 16'x20' would be my garage and a 10'x20' shed roof off the side of the building would be the wood shed. I'm now thinking it doesn't make much sense to cram a 2x6 or 2x8, wood, canning/filtering, shelving, and an RO room into a 14x20 room and only be using it for 6 weeks out of the year. I'm now thinking of not dividing the building and moving the evaporator out of the way during the off-season. I'm also thinking that I can build an RO room under the stairs in a little closet. This way I'm utilizing lost space. I was thinking I would leave all but the base stack and first section in place and mov everything else out of they way. Because I have an attic I would need to have a steam hood and stack to carry the steam through the second floor. Would a cupula serve any purpose aside from making it look like a sugar house?

Is anybody else doing this and how are they doing it?

Thanks

Josh

Dill
04-21-2008, 08:14 PM
One of my clients has a cupola/deer stand in his new barn. Its pretty cool, stairs up from the loft to the copola. But it won't work where you live.
They do some work for the removing steam correct?
I'm thinking about extending side of the building out to make a woodshed that is open from the outside and accessible from inside also. But now I'm wondering if I can justify building that big a building for just hobby sugaring. Whereas I need more woodshed space for the much more important home heating wood.

Maplewalnut
04-22-2008, 06:45 AM
Josh,

Check out my pics in my signature. I combined sugar house plans and a three stall garage with a loft into one 24x32 building. I have a floating wall that partions the 2 car garage from the evaporator room so I can expand if necessary. I left the evaporator room open to the roof (24ft), over the garage I put in a loft and left it open with only a knee wall for people to get a bird's eye view of the rig when running. People loved it and even without a steam hood, a fan directed any renegade steam into the cupola and out of the building. Good Luck!

Mike