PDA

View Full Version : Trees are Bleeding too much sap

backyardsugarer
03-10-2003, 09:29 AM
I have about 50 of the tree saver taps that I use on my red maples and they are not working that well. I have the correct bit (5/16) for them , but a lot of the sap runs down the tree rather than into the bucket. I did not put them in too far, but they are snug. Any suggestions and does anyone else have the same problem? My 7/16 taps are not a problem.

Chris

Salmoneye
03-10-2003, 12:01 PM
I have found in the past that when sap bleeds out around the tap it is due to not holding the drill still...Usually means an out of round hole...

In my experience anywahy...Dunno about the tree-saver factor...

mapleman3
03-10-2003, 12:54 PM
if thats the case...pull out the 5/16 and redrill for 7/16ths that should take care of it
Jim

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/mapleman3

powerdub
03-10-2003, 04:18 PM
My question would be how far in did you put them. Most health spouts have 3 or 4 rings on them just behind the flutes. You need to sink that first ring in past the bark so hits the meat of the tree. If you did as salmoneye suggested, and its not hard to do then there is not much you can do unfortunately.

Goodenough
03-10-2003, 07:56 PM
I have the same problem with some of mine and the "moving drill bit" sounds reasonable - I let my young kids help drill a couple and those are the ones "bleeding"

backyardsugarer
03-11-2003, 07:33 AM
I am very careful about the bit moving, so I doubt it. It does not happen on any of my "hard maples" only the red and silver maples "bleed". I will mess around with the depth when it warms up again this weekend (temps in the high 40's!!!!!). Could Ice cause this?

backyardsugarer
03-12-2003, 07:44 AM
I got it!
You can not drill at a slight upward angle with tree savers. You must drill directly into the tree (level). I had to express order 7/16 taps in order to fix the problem.

mapleman3
03-12-2003, 07:53 AM
did you contact someone about that...is that what they told you??? thats interesting.. I have a lot of tree savers out there, drilled at an angle too. I'll have to check them closely, I know I have a few of the larger 7/16 bleeding a little.
Jim

backyardsugarer
03-12-2003, 08:26 AM
I called my leader distributor and that is what he told me. You can drill at a slight angle but are better off going in level with tree savers. Plus the ice this year has been so bad that it may have pushed the taps out a little causing bleeding so I am checking both things.

Salmoneye In VT
03-12-2003, 11:51 AM
Thought of another possibility...

Look above and below the tap...Did you pound them in a little too hard and split the hole?

Aint hard to do...Ask me...I just split 4 holes out of 50 an hour ago...

Tomten
03-12-2003, 08:19 PM
I've never used the Tree Saver taps. Are they available thru Leader? I've been using the 7/16 th's bit and while not seeing alot of sap bleeding, I have noticed some splits near last years holes while tapping this year. Afraid they may have been set improperly last year. Could the tree savers prevent this or do I have to be a little more gentle...? I have had the sap bleeding problem when I've rounded the hole by accident, as mentioned earlier.

Hoping for 1st big run this weekend but worried as the temp will stay above freezing thru Tuesday of next week. Good boiling to all and to all a good nite.

saphead
03-12-2003, 09:18 PM
I am wondering about the method of small spout installation,Health spouts
or treesavers or whatever the brand.Remember small spouts basically
have no taper and are usually put in holes that are only about 1 1/2"
deep.The best method I know of is to push in the spout then rotate it
90 degrees so the drop is on the bottom.Note the word "push"! With the
sealing rings this method should work well even with a high vacuum at
the tap. Remember old trees can have very thick bark. so make sure
the rings engage the fresh wood.I'll be out working for some folks this
weekend.Hopefully they will finish replumbing the 2500 tap bush tomorrow
and we,ll have 5 tapping crews this weekend,hope to get out most of the
12,000 to catch this run.

backyardsugarer
03-13-2003, 01:06 PM
I have had it with the health spouts (tree savers) I have tried everything, they are snug but did not split the tree. I have tried them at several depths and they still leak sap. All 7/16's should be in the mail today and I am going to switch back over to all regular taps. Anyone thinking about tree saver please reconsider, they have been nothing but a nightmare for me. Stay with the traditional stuff.

Chris

03-13-2003, 06:02 PM
I have used health spouts for 2 yrs. Had good luck so far with them. Don't know why you are having problems with them. When you first tap don't drive them in hard if the trees are frozen. Wait until it warms up than reseat them. You might have to do this a couple of times though the season. You should do this with the large spouts also. It doesn't take much to spilt the trees when they are cold. Also you should try a 19/64 bit it works better with the small spouts than the 5/16 bit. When you drill go in and out fast with one shot so the hole is clean and not out of round. Going to be a hard run comeing up this week so I hope you get fixed up today.

Sugarman
03-14-2003, 06:46 AM
Are you using a cordless drill? If so, what brand is it ? Some of the Dewalts have woubling chucks.

backyardsugarer
03-14-2003, 09:27 AM
Yes I use a cordless Firestorm 14.4 volts. It does not appear to wobble and the problem is primarily with the tree savers. How far in should they go 1/2 inch or so? The tree savers are not tapered so I can not see spliting the tree and I tapped when it was 40. I have never had this problem before but I am converting back to all 7/16 this afternoon before the BIG weekend. Happy sugarin' everyone.

Chris

Sameus piper
03-15-2003, 06:35 AM
Just saw some nut boiling away all nite long in a homemade log shack in his backyard! The run must be on! :wink:

backyardsugarer
03-17-2003, 10:27 AM
I fixed it. Got 7/16 taps in now with a new hole. No problem. Never tree savers again.