PDA

View Full Version : jb weld

maplekid
04-19-2008, 02:29 PM
i bought a 4x5 leader syrup pan off a sugar maker. thing is he burnt it and the box on the side is loose i cant seem to get it soldered
will jb weld help?

mapleack
04-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Assuming the pan is stainless steel, do you have stainless flux? Thats a must for sucessfully soldering stainless. Also the area to be soldered has to be clean clean clean.

Haynes Forest Products
04-19-2008, 04:57 PM
I would think that any patch using JB WELD would burn off. Its epoxy based would taint your syrup when it burns

maplekid
04-19-2008, 05:31 PM
i figured out that the guy had jb weld on it before when i was trying to resolder it. the place i put it will not be touching any fire. the stuff is good up to 600 degrees.

Haynes Forest Products
04-20-2008, 09:24 AM
As Mapleack said CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Soldering anything that is dirty is impossible. Its as much fun as soldering copper pipe with water in it. If it had JB Weld on it you must first burn it all off by heating well past 600 and then grind the surface clean. If you burn the surface of the metal during soldering it wont stick. low heat clean metal and clean flux. good luck

hookhill
04-21-2008, 07:02 AM
We used 4 tubes of jb weld on a raised flue pan this season. It held up fine and looks the same as it did before we started boiling.