PDA

View Full Version : Adding a Membrane

sgsommers
04-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Kind of curious what would be involved in adding an additional membrane to a 600 gallon per hour Lapierre RO. Probably can't just hook up another post and go? I don't think it is the exp. model. Was thinking of going to the openhouses to see what options are out there.

Steve

emericksmaple
04-19-2008, 04:31 PM
We have a leader 600 exp model. And we are going to get another membrane for next year and try to squeeze our sap to 14% to help cut back our fuel cost. They say that they can add membranes to any machine. Check with lapierre or D and G. They both have exp kits in there catalogs.

maplwrks
04-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Steve, I put an expansion on my Lapierre 3 years ago. The only thing that will need to be changed on your machine is to add a plug in for the other column. Everything else will come with the expansion. The best your machine will do at that point will be 900 gph. this is because this is all your 5hp pressure pump will do. I would also suggest a larger feed pump, but it is not necessary. I think you'll be looking at about $7000.......I might be a little high though. Spring open houses are next weekend, Lapierre might be in the mood to deal.

Amber Gold
04-21-2008, 07:39 PM
When you're going to the 14% concentrations are you effecting the quality and/or taste of the syrup? Obviously you're going to drastically reduce your boiling times, just wasn't sure what effect it would have on the finished product.

emericksmaple
04-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Well we did 11% this year at the beggining of season and tasted no difference. The people we are talking to say to just run your sap level a little deeper and it will not effect the taste.

halfast tapper
04-21-2008, 10:04 PM
The bigger operations usually run about 20-25 percent concentrate.They will usually run it through two or more ro's proggressively making the concentrate sweeter and sweeter.

sgsommers
04-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Mike,

What % sugar are you getting with one pass through using the two post machine. What is your sap % sugar before it goes through? Any idea what % sugar the RO would concentrate too when the concentrate output is set at approx 3.5-4.0 gpm and a column pressure of 400 psi? Currently that is what I run my RO to "match" the evaporator will cooking.

Hope you don't charge per question.

Thanks,
Steve

maplwrks
04-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Steve,
These Are Good Questions---Your RO Will Only Build About 200 Psi With The RO Bypass Fully Closed. Remember, Same Amount Of Sap, Twice As Much Surface Area! At 3 Gpm On The Concentrate Side, At 200 Psi, You Should See 8% Concentrate. If You Were To Squeeze It Down More, You Could Possibly See 12%.

sgsommers
05-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Mike,

Thanks for your help, I guess it is a matter of dollars now. Do the expansion or get a new 2 post machine or stay the same. Gotta love options, maybe.

Steve

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-11-2008, 04:14 PM
post edited

Jeff E
05-30-2008, 08:41 AM
I am on the verge of geting my first RO, and had a line on a used one. The seller decided not to sell, so I am now faced with buying new...

Leader is over 16K for a 500GPH machine, and a Lapierre is 12K for a similar machine. Is there any reason to spend more on the Leader?

Also, the releaser prices are 30% higher for the Leaders, again, any reason to spend more?

ON the verge of going way out on a limb....exciting stuff!

maplecrest
05-30-2008, 09:21 AM
leader and d ang g are the same machine. price a d and g machine

802maple
05-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Why spend more for a lesser machine, A Leader R.O. isn't even in the same ballpark with a Lapierre. As far as releasers go I haven't had any problems with the Lapierre or the Bernard releasers that Leader sells. ( you can also get them from Lappiere)

Jim Brown
05-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Jeff E. We have two Bernard releasers and have had no problems with them, we also have a Lapierre RO and LOVE IT!

Jim

maplwrks
05-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Save yourself a lot of money and a lot of frustration----Buy a Lapierre or a CDL RO. The difference in these ROs and a Springtech or Airablo, is the same as a Lexus vs. a Ford Esort. They are both ROs, but a world of difference between them. Bernard and Lapierre releasers are both made by Lapierre, and are both of good quality. If the price of the Bernard is as cheap from Lapierre and it is what you want, buy your Bernard releaser from Lapierre.

Jeff E
06-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the input...I have talked with the Mapleguys (Chris) as well, and was more than happy with his help. Chris was giving advise not based on a sale, but based on my needs, even to the point of directing me to a local dealer of the CDL RO and releasers and vacuum pump rather than pushing for a sale of his own. You folks out east, SUPPORT this guy!

I have begun the transition from hobbiest to, to, oh I don't know, nut case?!. I have mapped the woods, have been installing wire for my Wet/Dry lines and mainlines, and spending money like crazy...

Last season, 350 taps, processing 45 gph max, toting buckets.
Next season, 2000 taps, processing 550 gph, watching sap in 30P lines come to me!
In between-a gazzilion hours of work, and about as many nickles...