PDA

View Full Version : More pan question's...

Bucket Head
04-13-2008, 09:04 PM
I have some more question's about 2 1/2 and 3 ft. wide evaporator's.

How much more wood does a 3 footer use over the 2.5 evaporator's?

If you have a 2.5 evaporator now, why did you go with that instead of a 3 footer, and vice versa to the 3 footer owner's?

What do you guy's like and dislike about what your boiling on now?

I recently saw a 2.5x12 for sale. I did not know they came that long! Does anyone know how well the flue pan boil's at the rear of a pan that long?

It seem's the average evap. rate for a 3x8 is around 60 gal. What size 2.5 width evaporator would have that same rate?

Thank's
Steve

Sugarmaker
04-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Some say longer evaporators boil better due to getting all the heat from the fire as it passes thru the longer flues. A lot has to do with the wood and how you fire them!
I boiled on a 2.5 x 10 and it worked OK but was not tuned up very well. A good 3 x 8 should get around 70-80 gph I think. We get about 80-90 gph on our 3 x 10. I put it together from scratch so it is just what I have but fits us nice at 400-500 taps.

Regards,
Chris

tapper
04-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Steve,

My 2 1/2 x 8 is two seasons old now. I think the only reason it isnt 3' wide may have been due to price? I remember asking the price difference but heard no actual figures during the negotiations.

In my experience with this evaporator for two seasons I honestly beleive a longer one would boil better. With the inferno arch and the wood I use it averages 1200 degree stack temps and occasionally reaches 1600 degrees. I feel this heat would be best used under a longer pan instead of up the stack.

I average 75 gph on mine. I love the evaporator sure beats the 25 gph I was getting with the 2x6 I had. I guess the main considerations for size woud be.

The amount of space you have available to you
number of taps
how many gph do you really want to boil off
How much do you want to spend. The bigger the evaporator the bigger sugar house you need everything is relative.

Bucket Head
04-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Jon,

We are having the same dilemma you had. I think we have out grown our 2.5x 6.

In time, we would like to add more tap's, but right now we would like to shorten up our boiling time.

Were just uncertain what size evaporator to aim for.

Steve

maple flats
04-21-2008, 04:39 PM
I think I will stay with my 3x8. I can get 75 gph but lose some due to splashing in the flue pan so I usually slow it to 60 gph (less wood each firing, still at 5 min intervals. I am looking for an RO to get more evap but will finish my pre heater i started and didn't get finished before the season hit. That should add maybe 10-15% i think.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Do you have a hood on the 3x8?? If you added a hood, I would think it would take care of most of the splashing and you could add a preheater too??