PDA

View Full Version : Syrup pump recommendations

Brent
04-13-2008, 07:48 PM
We'll I've kinda boxed myself into a corner. Got 3 nice syrup storage barrels. Put some of each of my first runs in each when I decided they were all close enough in colour to combine them, I did it. Now I've got a barrel so heavy I can't move it.

What do you guys recommend for a syrup pump. I'm thinking small size like 2 to 5 GPM could be plenty for the bit that I get.

Sugarmaker
04-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Brent can you rig your pump on the filter press?
We don't put ours in drums, One, we dont make that much (140 gallon this year has been our max) and Two, similar to your situation how do you handle it. I saw a Ohio produce using a drum dolly that worked real nice.

I use 2.5 gallon plastic jugs. We get them from Mann Lake Ltd. They are easy to store in the freezer and can have different grades/ runs separated easily. Also easy to pour from. We dont make bulk, so all will get re caned or made into product for retail and or wholesale.

Chris

Brent
04-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi Chris

I've had honey supplies from Mann Lake, I'll take another look at their stuff.
I've found age is taking my energy levels faster than I'm happy with. Hit 62nd birthday in the middle of this year's sap run. So at the end of a day of collecting in the bush and boiling for 6 hours or so, I find just dumping into barrels is all that I have energy for. And I suspect unless I find THE FOUNTAIN, it will be worse next year.

The filter press pump would do it but it sure isn't portable. I like to bring a partially filled barrel into the house where it stays warm for a few days then siphon off the good stuff. We had huge amounts of sand this year. We got 1 to 1 1/2" in each barrel, even though they only had 5 gallons in each ... that was before the siphoning started and the barrel with the combination got too heavy.

So I really think a small pump would do be helpful. I've thinking of the SURFLOW style. They're self priming diaphragm style and have ratings good enough for hot syrup.

Sugarmaker
04-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Brent,
Yea this age things sucks!

How are the bees doing? I have supers on ready for some spring honey!

Hope the pump works out. Not sure how to pump cold syrup. Sounds like you did not filter the syrup prior to putting in the drums? Was this easier for you? We generally filter as soon as the syrup comes off the evaporator.

Regards,
Chris

danno
04-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Brent - if it's any cosolation, with all the enthusiasm in your posts, I always thought you were one of those young guys:)

Haynes Forest Products
05-03-2008, 11:35 PM
I wish i was making enough to put in barrels. I was under the impression that the sooner you draw off filter and put into bulk storage the better. I was told that you can have syrup change 1 grade if you let it sit in drums and let them slow cool. Only making 150 gallons this year I filled 2 1/2 and 5 gallon containers and then put them out in the snow over night. I used to bottle and put the bottles upside down in the box and stack the boxs till I read about stack burn. Now we bottle and tip upside down and into the water tank to cool hr later into the box and all is good. Hint do not leave plastic containers out over night in bear country.