PDA

View Full Version : selling bulk syrup:packaging?grading?

markct
04-08-2008, 10:22 PM
so when ya sell syrup in bulk to a dealer like bascoms, are there others, i only know of them? what do you generaly package it in, seems like you would want something cheap since you are losing it with the sale of the syrup correct, or do they pour it outa your container and into bulk tank or something? i doubt it but i dont know, i assumed the barrel went with the syrup. also, how do they know what they are buying, just your word or do they open it and check, or does a sample acompany the barrel? how do they know its filtered right? what is the difference between b and c, i always thought b was just darker, but what is c realy dark, or is it the funny bitter stuff from the end of the season? just many questions i have been wondering about and im sure someone here has the answers to my curiosity

220 maple
04-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Markct

I sold a barrel of Grade C Satuaday to a buyer in South Central Pa., Grade C to me is the bitter- buddy syrup. He traded me barrels. About three weeks ago I sold two barrels of Dark Amber and one barrel of Grade B. to a person who will bottle it for resale. I took him samples from each barrel for him to taste and grade. All three barrel had been heat packed. One of the Three was my barrel and he will clean it for me once it is emptied and I will pick it up later this summer. The other two barrels was his that I filled during the season. Hope this helps some.

Mark 220 Maple

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-08-2008, 11:14 PM
post edited

tuckermtn
04-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Here is how it has worked for me in the past at Bascoms...never sold anywhere else and when I have sold to bascoms its generally been 5-15 gal at a time...

you show up, tell them you have some syrup to trade, then they meet you out by the loading dock...I bring my syrup in in 5 gal blue jugs. They will weigh the syrup, test it with a permanent grade set for grade, and test it for taste. Could be medium grade A but have a bad taste (which is what I sold them last year) and get marked as B. Never sold them anything light or with good taste so I don't know how theirs would match with my senses.

Then they fill out a form for you to take inside to get either cash or supplies. When you leave, you can grab an empty jug (they have 100's of them by the door) - the same size and number as you brought in.

brookledge
04-09-2008, 08:42 AM
To add to that. At Bascom's they will sometimes unload your container while you wait but many times you need to leave it. I use kegs and have left them many of times and will pick them up my next trip there. The same goes for larger drums like 30 or 55 gallon. If your name is on it they are pretty good about about holding it until you can get it back. Or another way to do it would be to find out if someone else near bye might be going there and pick up your empties. I have sold all grades and as tuckermt said they will grade it and taste it and then pay accordingly.
Keith