PDA

View Full Version : kegs or drums

danno
04-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Where do you guys get your kegs or drums for bulk canning and what gallon sizes are you using? How much are you paying for them? And finally, where are you guys buying your accessories - new rings, bung wrench, pumps?

brookledge
04-08-2008, 09:10 PM
As for the kegs a half barrel size holds 15.5 gallons or 170.5 to 171 lbs. and a quarter keg holds 7.75 gallons. There are also metric ones out there, I have a 50 liter one that is 13.2 gal. I use either a 1 7/8" or 2" rubber expansion plug to seal the top. As for getting them. You can start drinking more or ask around. Many times if you know a police officer that has confiscated one from teens party you can get them or offer to pay the deposit for someone thats going to get one.
I have also been told that many times scrap yards get them in so if you know anybody like that it might help. If you look around you can begin to accumilate them
Keith

saphead
04-09-2008, 09:05 AM
I work in the same town as Sugarhill and I have often thought of stopping by and talking with them about making 5,10,15 gal. containers w/oxygen barrier. It seems to me that the market would large enough for the manufacturing investment any thoughts,comments?

brookledge
04-09-2008, 09:15 AM
that might not be a bad idea since the blue 5 gal plastic jugs will definately drop a grade after 6 months of storage or so.
Keith

Brent
04-09-2008, 05:32 PM
D&G in Montreal have a couple of sizes of barrels made specifically, or at least labeled that way, for maple syrup. I got 3 of the 18 US gallon ones and quite like them.

http://www.domgrimm.com/

the details are all pdf pages of the catalog. a real pain, but its there.