PDA

View Full Version : Bull or a steer?

325abn
04-08-2008, 08:11 PM
I am sure there must be someone on the trader that can answer this question.

I have a cow with a bull calf that was born last summer. The cow is a short horned milker crossed with a red face. The Bull she was bred to is a White park.

When the calf was 6-7 weeks old the owner of the bull that bred my cow came over and castrated my bull calf using the Emasculatome.

Now several months later the calfs testicals are growing. They are certainly there and getting much larger. The calf seems to be "acting" like a bull. On occasion he sniffs at his moms rear and raises his lip.

My concern is the the castration did not work.

Do the "symptoms" I state above indicate a unsucessfull castration? If not what would?

Thank you for your input.

firetech
04-09-2008, 05:23 AM
I would say that his is a bull it shouldn't effect the meat flavor if you proccess him young ,or call the vet,livestock producer with a shute and do the castration again. This will be more difficult and costly but can be done

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-09-2008, 06:14 AM
Sounds to me like the "job" was done before the testicles descended. Have it done again. If he will be around for awhile, have it done again. I spent a week in the hospital and 9 months in a cast for having a friendly bull around.

325abn
04-09-2008, 06:47 AM
The plan is to butcher him in the fall. He will be about 1.5 years old. Is this young enough not to effect the beef?

fred
04-09-2008, 07:11 AM
yes better do it again the meat will be tough. better show the owner how to count to two!!

gmcooper
04-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Sounds like he did not do a good job castrating. I used a crimper for years but you have to be very carefull that you crimp each cord one at a time and be sure you have firmly crimped the cord. Some people try to get both cords at once and that usually does not work. Also if the calf jumps or moves much it is easy to miss a cord and you may not know for months. We feed out both steers and bulls here for freezer beef and some we haul to Lancaster, PA. Bulls are harder to finish and put cover on than a steer. They do not marble as easy. The white park /shorthorn should be smaller framed than some and maybe a little easier to finish. I would castrate him again. We now use the large bander and they will work on even large yearlings. Very effective as long as you get the band above the testicles before you tighten and crimp the clamp. Also best to give tetnus at same time.

325abn
04-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Here are a few shots of the calf in question and the mother cow.

Bull for sure right? It is posible that the cord was crushed correctly and yet the balls continue to grow but not produce?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/reagantrooper/Calf/3-28-08010.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/reagantrooper/Calf/3-28-08014.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/reagantrooper/Calf/3-28-08012.jpg

cheesegenie
04-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Yep that is a bull. Best to pinch him now. Great looking cattle by the way.

325abn
04-09-2008, 07:58 PM
I dont think he would be to keen on me catching him and doing that now. we had a hell of a time when he was 6 weeks old. He is somewhat tame but not that tame.

fred
04-09-2008, 08:33 PM
the alternative is to make all ground beef. his appearance isnt that bullish to me. his testicles will still grow some even if he is pinched right

325abn
04-10-2008, 06:43 AM
the alternative is to make all ground beef. his appearance isnt that bullish to me. his testicles will still grow some even if he is pinched right

What are some other traits one would expect to see on a bull other than big balls?

So it is common for the testicles to grow even after clamping? I would hate to have to make all hamburg out of this guy. Would recutting him at this age make any difference in the beef if he goes to market in the fall?

maplecrest
04-10-2008, 08:31 AM
best hope there are no cows down wind that will come into heat during his stay over the summer.

Dill
04-10-2008, 08:35 AM
What are some other traits one would expect to see on a bull other than big balls?

So it is common for the testicles to grow even after clamping? I would hate to have to make all hamburg out of this guy. Would recutting him at this age make any difference in the beef if he goes to market in the fall?

Get a darn good fence and probably should pop a nose ring in there for some control when he grows more. Also be careful. My folks have had some bulls over the years, some where fine and some weren't. The worst are the dairy breeds. If you start to get worried about him, ship him right then its not worth the hassle for some more meat.

fred
04-10-2008, 01:02 PM

an enlarged neck and top of face as well as muscular instead of general growth

blood is still getting to the "sack" . i would not recut him, to me he does not appear to be a bull.as long as he is not pawing or stressed the meat should still be tender

Dill
04-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Just noticed this on Clist

http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/637380264.html
Castration, Dehorning, AI breeding Available (Derry, NH)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-637380264@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-04-10, 1:43PM EDT

Need a cow or calf castrated, dehorned, or Artificially Inseminated?? Call Tony (603)235-0003

^I wonder how much punishment this guy would put up with.

325abn
04-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Get a darn good fence and probably should pop a nose ring in there for some control when he grows more. Also be careful. My folks have had some bulls over the years, some where fine and some weren't. The worst are the dairy breeds. If you start to get worried about him, ship him right then its not worth the hassle for some more meat.

The only fence I have now is the single wire you see in the fence.