PDA

View Full Version : how is air channeled thru an airtight arch door?

markct
04-08-2008, 06:03 PM
i am building an airtight arch for my 2 by 8 pans and i am not exactly sure how the air flows thru the door and where it flows out, i have only seen one forced draft arch and it was running at the time, so couldnt look too close at the door, it had a tube that sealed when ya closed the door that the air came into, but i couldnt tell where it went after that, the guy said it was to keep the door and gasket surface cool, so i picture it ran thru square tubing type setup that the gasket glued to, and then most come out little holes all along the tube, or am i way off! could someone explain better or post some pics of there airtight doors.

brookledge
04-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Some of the new ones have a blower for the grates and a seperate one for the door. When you close the door a seal is made with the ducting so that cool air can be fed in the door to keep it cool.
Mine only has air injection all around the door and seperate nozzles that put air on top of the fire to get better combustion. I have not looked at the newer style that actually has air entering through the door
Keith

markct
04-08-2008, 10:07 PM
this air around the door sounds much simpler, what does it involve, just a frame of square tubing with holes, or something more complex, also, what do ya use for a gasket on your door and how is it secured, on my small arch it seemed the temps got too hot for stove gasket glue, as the door would glow red sometimes in the middle, altho maybe an insulated door would keep enough heat from the metal the gasket fits up to and it would be ok, if i could avoid piping air to the door all the better, i just thought thats how they were all done, unfourtanatly around here everyone has oil it seems with the exception of a few educational places that wanna show the traditional way, so no blower of course

brookledge
04-09-2008, 08:26 AM
As I said my inferno arch only has one blower on it and it feeds the grates the holes all around the door frame and the injection nozzles. The air is fed through square tubing that is open under the grates. I believe that the wider arches now have a seperate blower that feeds air in through the door once it is closed and locked into position. My door does completely seal air tight once it locks closed and no matter how hard the blower goes nothing can escape. The best thing I'd recommend is to look at somebodys or go to a dealer and look at them
Keith

saphead
04-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Look under the thread "Forced Draft Question" from 2/6/08 and 802 will explain it all. Also see the photos of Maplemanvt,this is "The arch" as far as I'm concerned.Having spent the first few years of my career playing around w/oil,gas boilers and a period of time @ an experimental coal gasification plant I can say that most designs get a good boil all the way back ,but are not efficient as far as fuel consumption goes. To much under fire air and not enough overfire air to burn the gases,especially @ the entrance to the flue pan. Hope this helps.

802maple
04-09-2008, 02:36 PM
The air in the intens-o-fire that I build comes thru the hinges. If you go to "breezy lanes" site you can see it in his pictures. The air then goes thru the door to the fire.

markct
04-09-2008, 08:10 PM
how do i get to beezy lanes site, do ya have a link

Brent
04-09-2008, 08:20 PM
go to the top of the home page to members and click on "B"
in his profile you will find the link