PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Taps?

MapleME
04-08-2008, 01:31 PM
When should I pull my taps? Im in Brunswick. You think I still got another week or two??

MapleME

Parker
04-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Dont pull your taps till you are sick of it or the buds on the sugarmaples start to sprout leaves

royalmaple
04-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Wait till the bait shop shows up when your boiling. You'll know what I mean if you go long enough. We better still have a couple of weeks.

TapME
04-08-2008, 08:57 PM
The sugars here are fine, it's the reds that are showing signs of budding. I would keep them in till the sap taste bad. Just my 2 cents.
PS, after it taste bad bring it to royalmale so he can hold grade on his syrup. LOL

Revi
04-08-2008, 09:15 PM
We still have a ton of snow up at the sugarwoods. We will keep boiling until the very end this year, since we have not gotten all that much yet.

We did make around 3 gallons this afternoon and evening, however.
We are really making the syrup now. We boiled off around 120 gallons in about 4 hours. That's about our average. 30 gph. There was quite a crew at the sugarhouse. We had about 10 visitors. It's like the men's club. We hung out, boiled sap, told stories, fed the evaporator.

The snow has turned to mashed potatoes, so the snowshoeing is getting really tricky. I showed a guy our woodlot and we fell down a couple of times. Once you get off the trail you slide down into the mashed potatoes.

It's fun, boiling in the late spring.