PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Syrup........what the ?

Pete S
04-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Hello,

I have posted threads, and have read threads about filtering and finishing, but we are just about at our wits end with this years batches.

Our first year we finsihed by "sight-n-taste" and had wonderful clear syrup, but probably not "quite" syrup, but it was good to us.

Our second year we had a darker syrup, (and we used a Hydrometer), that developed rock candy in the bottoms of the jars along with some sugar sand. I really think we got'er a bit overdone.

THIS YEAR; We took our time, filtered sap through a T-shirt as always, and boiled the same way with a bit better heat/rate. When we took off the syrup, (we finished on the evap by dropping the heat), and we took it off when everything was perfect, we filtered through 3 layers of felt. This first flitering left a dark gray MUD,......yuck! Then into the house for another filtering through felt and a coffee filter.

From there, we placed all of our syrup in a big cooker kettle in the garage refrigerator. A week or so later the stuff was nice and clear with only a bit of sediment on the bottom.

SO,.........the "Boss" dumps off the top, (I ate the rest) and heats up to 180* carefully, and cans it.

We now have about 1 3/4 gallons of the best tasting,.......... CLOUDY, SEDIMENT FILLED, SYRUP!!!

What happened? HELP!!!!

Frustrated in Plymouth, WI
Pete

maple maniac65
04-08-2008, 08:12 AM
any time maple syrup is heated again there is a chance it can make more sugar sand or niter. Especially if the density is at a minimum of 66. The range of syrup is 66-67, 66.7 . The top of the red line at hot test on a hydrometer may actually rad 65.8 or 65.9 just enough off to make it cloudy again when heating it to can. Been there done that. :-)

SeanD
04-08-2008, 05:57 PM
The other thing is you can't be too careful pouring off the top of your decanted batch in the pot. Try siphoning off using a clear siphoning cane and clear tubing. If you use the ones homebrewers have, there's a cap on the end that keeps the end of the cane from getting all the way to the bottom and a clip to hold it vertical in the pot/bucket. The clear tubing helps you see if you are still pulling clear syrup out.

As for the cloudiness, the previous post covered it. Use a thermometer when canning and try to keep it between 180-185.

I like the T-shirt filter for the sap. I'll have to remember that for next year.

Sean

H. Walker
04-08-2008, 09:21 PM
I had the same cloudy problem with my new water jacketed canner this year. My problem was the built in thermometer was out by 10 to 15 degrees. Now that I only heat to 165 by that thermometer and the syrup stays crystal clear.

Double & triple check your thermometer!!!

maplehound
04-08-2008, 09:33 PM
pete,
Another thing you might try: don't bottle in glass. :) It don't matter so much if you can't see that little bit of cloudy. I am sure you won't taste the diffrence. Most people who bottle in glass ussually end up filtering with a filter press. I myself run my syrup through my press both at the time I make it and then again when I bottle it, especially if it is going into glass.