PDA

View Full Version : Hauling Sap

Amber Gold
04-07-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm planning on getting a newer Chevy/GMC 1500 for plowing and hauling sap in the near future. I was looking at the specs and noticed that it's payload capacity is about 1400 lbs. Is anybody using a 200 gallon truck tank with a 1500? The truck tank will hold 1600 lbs of sap, which is greater than the payload capacity. I was wondering if a 1500 could handle it or I would should plan on a 2500.

I also have the option of mounting a tank on my trailer. I stripped a pop-up camper trailer and put some plywood on it to haul be dirt bikes around. I'm not sure if this would have the capacity to handle that kind of load either. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Josh

Russell Lampron
04-07-2008, 07:21 PM
A 1500 is plenty of truck to haul a 210 gallon pick up tank. An S10 on the other hand will haul it but it's a struggle.

tessiersfarm
04-07-2008, 07:31 PM
I haul 4 - 55 gallon drums in my 1500 crew. No problems here. I would love a truck tank but the lady in charge of the finances is a tough cookie.

TapME
04-07-2008, 08:03 PM
I have had more than 200 in my ford, but it was pushing the limits of the suspension. If it becomes a problem with hauling it extra springs are cheaper in the long run than a heavier truck and weight. Just my 2 pennies

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
04-07-2008, 08:27 PM
you say you are going to plow snow with it?? 7 ft blade is pretty heavy for a 1/2 ton front end. i plow with a 2500 and its a load in the up position

RICH

troes30
04-07-2008, 08:40 PM
i have a 3500 chevy. i have a 300 gallon tank on the truck and 3 275 gallon tanks on my trailer...thats a load. we have had a 450 gallon truck tank in the past on a 1500. it worked but we were only going a mile or so. i am now traveling 25 miles with my 3500. its a chevy though, it can handle it. and in case your wondering, yes, the gas bill sux

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Buy a 5x8 trailer with a 3500 or 5,000 axle under it and it will haul all the sap you need to at one time and not put all the wear on the rear end and suspension of the truck. You can pick up a good solid trailer for around $ 650 to $ 700.

Sugarmaker
04-07-2008, 08:48 PM
We have a Ford (maybe they can haul more?:)) F-250 with a 325 gallon leg tank and 20 gallons in the dumping station so about 2760 lb. Its pretty well sacked out! Hate to say but I drag that over some crusty old wash board dirt roads too. Nasty. But isn't that what trucks are for? (Just be safe!) Should get some 1 ton springs for the old girl:)

I had a 150 ( 1/2 ton) and had a 210 gallon tank which sacked it out pretty good too.

Ahhhh New truck smell with lots of mud, snow and maple tools in the cab! Oh yea don't forget to get at least a extended cab.

Chris

DS Maple
04-07-2008, 09:39 PM
You might be OK hauling the sap with a half ton truck, but I certainly wouldn't go with any less than a 3/4 ton if you are plowing and hauling. For us anyway, there are plenty of times when whichever of our two trucks has the 525 gallon tank on it also has a plow on it. In this case that's over 5000 lbs of extra weight. Pushing and hauling puts a lot of strain on the truck in every possible way, from the transmission, to the frame, brakes, steering etc. You get the idea. Even with our 1 tons, (one of which is a Ford, the other a Chevy) we probably average at least $500-1000 per year in plowing/hauling damages alone. If you plan on owning the truck for a while you are probably better off with the heavier duty one. Also, stick with the intention to buy a Chevy.

tuckermtn
04-07-2008, 10:32 PM
we use a 210gal pickup tank in a 1st generation Tundra. its theoretically somewhere between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton. The tank sits further back than I would like it (have to have tailgate down) since I have a tool box and diesel transfer tank in the bed also... we have had a totally full sap tank and it defintely makes the front end of the Tundra light, but it hauled it fine...

I like having a tank in the bed only (as opposed to using a trailer) since it is a lot more manuverable- we have a lot of stop and go gathering- pulling in and out of driveways, etc...

my $.02 cents worth

-tuckermtn

Russell Lampron
04-08-2008, 05:37 AM
One thing that I forgot to mention is that a Chevy/GMC 1500 with either the 4.8 or 5.3 V8 get 18 mpg +/- with the standard gear ratio. A lot better than a 2500 will get with the 6.0. If the truck is going to be used mostly for commuting in the off season go with the 1500.

super sappy
04-08-2008, 06:47 AM
I got a good deal on an older chevy wt 1500 v6 (95) standard low miles etc. I have a 325 gallon tank that I filled to the 225 mark almost every time sap ran this year. I have helper springs but they are helping hold down a bench over at my buddies garage. the truck took a beating this past season. With that much sap in the back my winter boots barely fit between the wheel and the fender when I used the tire for a step to get into the back. With a load of sap in the back we passed a schoolbus that was stuck in the middle of the road. ( thats the kind of roads we travel.) I do not think that I would have put this much of a load on a newer truck without the helpers installed. You just need to go slow and slow down slowly. Even when the tank was strapped down the thing slid around when it has alot of sap in it. If we had good roads to travel I most likely have a trailer built to haul sap but I dont think I want to send Mrs. SS out with a trailer.

firetech
04-08-2008, 07:11 AM
I bought granddads old truck 88 chev 1/2 ton with helper springs and 10 plys on the rears. She crawed into the yard a couple times this spring with 325gals in the tank and another 50 gals in buckets. I sure was sorry for the old girl but it was 25mph down the road for a five mile run. We start futherest from the farm and work our way back with the most weight being closest to home. Sure would like a new 3/4 ton but work smart with what ya have. You can split loads too, and do a sap drop 1/2 way thru. Trucks are faster than tractors any day.

Amber Gold
04-08-2008, 09:54 AM
This has been a hot topic. Thanks for all of the input. You've given me a lot to consider.

My wife stays home and I drive a lot for work, so the new truck will primarily be hers. A 2500 would be nice because it is heavier duty and it'll be able to manage the heavier loads better and the plow, which is a 7 1/2 foot. I have a lifted '93 1500 that I plowed with last year and it did a good job handling the plow. I looked at the payload for an extended cab 2500 and it increases from 1392 for the 1500 to 3300+/-, which is quite the difference. With gas prices going up that's another concern and getting every mpg out of a vehicle is always a bonus. I did check out helper springs and that seems like a good option for the 1500. It'll bring the payload up to 2500 or 3500 pounds for about $200. I guess they're progressive so rider comfort would suffer as a result of the stiffer springs.

I'm thinking that 1600 lbs on my little trailer I would end up dragging it because the tires and suspension would collapse. So if I was to go that route, a trailer with a solid axle and no suspension would be required. A trailer would be nice because it would eliminate the issues with the truck and would also save the wear and tear on the vehicle. One problem though is maneuverability. One of the driveways I'd be accessing is on a main road, right on a blind corner and I'd have to back in or out of it because there's no room to turn around in the driveway. This may be an option though if I was to put a tank in the truck bed and another on the trailer for a long haul across town if I can locate a sugarbush somewhere.

Thanks again for all of the input, it's greatly appreciated.

michiganfarmer
01-26-2009, 01:40 PM
I have a 425 gallon tank I haul in my 4x4 F250. I broke springs a couple years ago. When my truck gives up the ghost, Im goin to buy a medium duty, like a flat bed international 4x4 or something.

1600 lb is gonna be rough on that half ton of yours unless it was built in the 60s or 70s. Modern half tons are a joke. all modern pick ups are a joke for that matter. my dads 73 half ton international would carry more than my 97 F250

Bucket Head
01-26-2009, 05:12 PM
I have to agree with Michigan Farmer. Nowadays, half ton trucks are nothing more than a full size car, with a larger "trunk".

I would go with something heavier than the half ton. Water weigh's 8 lbs. a gallon, so know what your truck can haul and know what size your tank is. Do the math and then make a decision.

I guess if you have to use the truck for both work and basic commuting, you've got a tough compromise going.

If I have to haul, push, or pull somthing, the F350 gets the nod. Everything else gets the econobox Ford Focus hatchback.

There is no sense in abusing a truck that just is'nt heavy enough for the job.

What you saved with the purchase price of the smaller truck will go to repairs.

Steve

maple flats
01-26-2009, 05:50 PM
A 1500 may appear to haul the load but if you have an accident (regardless of fault or cause) you are looking for a big lawsuit because you had more load than the truck was made to handle. Lawyers would have a field day and your insurance company my not cover it all because you loaded the truck beyond specs. Be careful. Many people think if the wheels still turn without the tires popping they are ok. Also, the police, sheriffs, state police etc write overloaded tickets if you are over the MGVW rating on the truck, regardless of weather you are a commercial vehicle or not. The MGVW is either on the door post or in the glove box on most trucks. If you haul a trailer you can not tow a trailer heavier than the vehicles rated towing capacity, but towing is always more than you can haul in the bed.

brookledge
01-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Like buckethead said water is about 8lbs./gal so that 425 gal tank full would be around 3400lbs. plus the weight of the tank and pump etc you were probably pushing 3500-3600. if you want to see what your vehicle weighs empty go to a scale somewhere like a quarry or fertilizer plant and probably can get it weighed for nothing. Then you can see how much you can haul before going over the GVW
keith

Brian
01-26-2009, 07:33 PM
I was under the impression a 3/4 ton truck meant you could hall 3 or 4 ton. I have a 85 toyota with a 210 gallon tank and she hauls it well. I also have a ford f250 with a 525 gallon leg tank and that works well too, but yes watch out for DOT they don't have the same sense of humor.This year I took an old manure spreader axel and built a new hitch and frame then built a head board and decked it. I am going to put a 1000 gal tank on that and pull it with my jd 4020.

Amber Gold
01-26-2009, 07:44 PM
I ended up with an '05 F250 with the snow/tow package with helper springs. I think it's rated for 2000-2400 lbs, can't remember exactly. So far I love the truck and glad I bought this over a 1/2 ton. The gas mileage is in the 15 mpg, which isn't too much worse than a 1/2 ton. The truck plows great, much better than the 1500 did and I've pulled some pretty heavy loads gathering sugaring wood and it did that no problem. Great truck and glad I didn't buy a 1/2 ton. The 1/2 tons can probably do it, but I'm not sure if long term. I buy trucks to own them for many years so I'm looking for long-term longevity in vehicles. My Ford Ranger I bought new 1999 and now has 170K on it. Hopefully I'll own it for a few more years before it finally goes...then again the repairs bills have been steadily increasing every year so I'll see how it goes.

brookledge
01-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Brian
most 3/4 ton pickups have a GVW of 8,000 plus or minus. That means the combined weight of the vehicle plus the cargo can't exceed that. Most 3/4 tons empty will probably be in the vacinity of 6000 or so that means you can haul 2000 lbs or so. So hauling 3/4 ton of cargo you are safe and not exceeding the manufactuers specs.
Now adays there are heavy half tons and heavy 3/4 tons to increase the needs of the consumer.
Keith

HHM-07
01-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Brian,

Now thats not fair for you to throw in the toyota lets compare apples to apples

a toyota owner for 20 years Dick

TapME
01-26-2009, 07:55 PM
I ended up putting helper springs in my ford so that it would carry the weight on the door panel without dragging the bumper. mine is in the 3200 # range to get to the max load limit of the truck.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Sap would be 8.3 lbs per gallon and don't forget the weight of the tank even though it isn't very much, it still adds weight. I am an insurance adjustor and have handled aprox 16,000 claims over the last 13 years and deal with autos and trucks multiple times each day. The best thing you can do for hauling sap is get a good well built 5 x 10 or 5x12 trailer that has 5,000 lb rear end and you should be able to easily handle 500 gallon or less sap and about any full size truck is rated to tow 5,000 lbs or more. If you back the trailer into something, it will cost you maybe a tailamp or a little fabrication to fix it vs 2 or 3 grand to fix the corner of the truck. This doesn't wear on your vehicle anything like the weight in the rear and you are covered by about all insurance policies with liability on the trailer in the event you back into someone else's vehicle with it or etc. A plain old steel trailer with a wood floor 5x10 or 5x12 will probably set you back aprox $ 1,000 or less and if you take care of it, should last you for many years and get a lot of other uses out of it.

turfman
01-31-2009, 10:36 PM
I've purchased and used many trucks as a landscape contractor ranging in size from 1/2 ton Dodge to a 2500HD Chevy, all the way up to a Ford F-550. One thing is for sure, you never regret having more weight capacity. Go with a Ford or Chevy GMC 2500, get an 16' trailer with twin 3500lb axles and you can haul anything you want safely.

My humble opinion,

Lee Blythe/Turfman

H. Walker
02-01-2009, 09:58 AM
You might want to see if you will void the warranty on a 1500 Chev if you put a plow on it. I was told that Ford & Chev will not warranty 1/2 tons with plows.

Haynes Forest Products
02-01-2009, 10:03 AM
I just baught a 08 Dodge Ram 1500 and didnt look at the front all that much Just noticed there are no pull hooks and Im suprised the all plastic bumper can be held up with the little brackets under there let alone a plow.

Amber Gold
02-01-2009, 06:03 PM
When I was looking at trucks the ford dealerships did tell me that any F150 with a plow installed would make the warranty null and void.

A guy I know has a 16' overdeck flat bed trailer with stakes on it, dual 3500 or 5000# axles for sale for $1000. A bit more trailer than I need, but the price is right...if I had the money. I'll have to work on that one.

mapleman3
02-14-2009, 10:35 AM
I just bought a 2003 GMC 2500HD 4 door crew cab 3/4 ton heavy duty. I think it's either the 8600 or 9200 GVRW..

I will mostlikely still pull a trailer also on the heavy run days.. I have a good trailer that can hold 3/4 ton or more also.. so combined I should be able to move 500+ gals

Haynes Forest Products
02-14-2009, 11:24 AM
MapleMan3: I just traded in the same truck Chevy and it hauled all I could put in it. Make sure you push the trailer button. I had a 350 gallon tank with pump 2 casses of beer, 500lbs human cargo and it took it all.
I wore mine out 175'000 hard miles 4 trannys later it was hauling the sap

maple flats
02-14-2009, 05:58 PM
That's what I need for another year. This year I have a 1500 4x4 with a 165 gal tank in the back. I don't think it would be safe to add more with some of the hills I travel when loaded up. Next year I need a heavier truck, or a trailer with brakes or both.

maple flats
02-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Remember, making it go is usually not the problem. Making it stop can be a real problem. The heavier the truck the heavier the brakes.

mapleman3
02-16-2009, 09:14 PM
I picked up my truck today, it is a 9200gvrw... should hold a crap load of sap!! she's a beauty. I'll post some pics when the tank gets in it.

Haynes Forest Products
02-17-2009, 12:45 AM
About 4 years ago I had my 1/2 ton 84 Chevy step side 2 wheel drive with the 350 gallon tank full and two buddies were talking 700 lbs in the front seat. I was doing about 35 miles down the side road and the spare tire that sits in that cross bar fell out wedged into the pavement and shot the trucks *** end up wheels of the ground crap flying about wet my pants from laughing. Truck kept on hauling trashed the spare. Man I love this sport .............it is a sport right