PDA

View Full Version : Trees started up again in NE Ohio?

johnallin
04-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Do any of you know why some of my bigger trees started to run again today? Sap is crystal clear and the buds are not yet even close to openning. We've had temps in the 50's and 60's the past few days and nights are not cold....

They're dripping at about one drop every 5 seconds.

I was starting to clean everything up when I saw this. Does this happen often - should I hang on for another week or so?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

John Allin

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Making syrup is one thing none of us will ever understand or be able to predict no matter how long we do this is the best answer I can give you. Do whatever you want to do and your heart tells you to do.

Sugarmaker
04-07-2008, 11:53 AM
John,
I made some (12 gallons) very nice light amber colored syrup last year the week of April 9 thru 13th. Sap looked good. You could tell while boiling that the steam did not smell good. Flavor of syrup was terrible! It was woody (metobolic) flavored. Buds were not out yet.

Chris

Brent
04-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Chris

Same thing happened here. Our bush has the red/purple tinge on top but when you look close the buds are still long and slender. Not looking like they're going to open for two more weeks. We collected a lot on Thursday, this year's best day. Over 300 gallons from 225 taps. Looked great, clear, tested 2.6%. But when we finished the boil and I started to bottle it, I licked my fingers ( who me ??? ) and that was the give away. Bad aftertaste. Took a spoonful YUK. I think I mixed good stuff from Thursday with buddy from Friday and spoiled the biggest batch we had.

Next year, when we get even close to the end I'm going to keep the batches segregated, at least up to the point of going into the evap.

johnallin
04-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks Chris, Brandon and Brent,
I went out tonight and the bags were only 1/2 full at best - after 24 hours. Not as big as I had thought so I pulled them in (yea all 20 of em') and returned to cleaning everything up. Sap was very clear, but the bugs were having a field day with it and I don't think there is any way it could survive the warm weather we've been having.

Thanks for your replies, it's good to have feedback like that so quickly. I am now wrestling with cleaning the pan on my new 1/2 pint. I used Leader pan cleaner as directed - but still have a golden colored film on the bottom that only comes off if I scratch it, not what I was hoping for. Any ideas?

John Allin