PDA

View Full Version : Caustic soda wash disposal

Brent
04-06-2008, 12:35 PM
This morning I gave the Merlins a cleaning with caustic soda. Mixed according to the mfgrs instructions and put all hoses in the last bucket and just let it recirculate for 1 1/2 hours. Got a buck (and system full) of bright green yellow and very basic wash.

Started flushing with fresh water but I am concerned about how to dump the most basic of it. Should it be neutralized with something first ???

maplwrks
04-07-2008, 06:09 AM
Brent,
I Think Henry Marckes Has Some Literature Out Pertaining To The Nuetralization Of Caustics In Ro's. You Might Find It On The Proctor Research Center Website.

Brent
04-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Couldn't find anything at Proctor. Couldn't even get a hit on Henry or Marckes
Thanks .. need to keep looking. I know I need to add an acid but if you don't really know what
you're doing, the law of unintended consequences will rear it's ugly head.

Gary in NH
04-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Brent,

There are a couple of options for neutralization of the washing solution. The first and safest would be to dilute with more water until pH level is below 8.5 which is a safe level. One "solution to pollution is dilution". The second option would be to slowly add small amounts of a diluted acid to the solution and then do a pH test. You should avoid directly mixing strong bases and strong acids due to the potential chemical reactions. One phrase I always remember from chemistry classs for mixing acids with water is the phrase "Do what you outta' - add the acid to the water" versus adding water to an acid. Never mix chemicals together unless you know whats going to happen. It's also a good idea to have adequate safety measures in place like chemical resistant gloves, apron, goggles, an eye wash station, and plenty of fresh air.

802maple
04-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Now Gary it isn't fun if you don't take chances. LOL

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Brent- The paper your looking for from Proctor is titled= Chemical safety in maple sugaring operations that came out in 2005.

Brent
04-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks ... found it now.
Got to get the manufacturer's recommendations I guess.