PDA

View Full Version : Used tubing

Amber Gold
04-06-2008, 09:20 AM
I saw this ad in craigslist and was wondering if it's worth it or not. Not sure if it's worth it to buy used tubing and fittings or not or if you should just start off with new stuff. Is this stuff the 4 seasons tubing?

http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/630741762.html

Thanks

tuckermtn
04-06-2008, 10:35 AM
I would stay away from used tubing...I did salvage some fittings off some tubing I inherited when I bought out someones entire set up, but the tubing was the green stuff and pretty stiff and brittle...

just my .02$

maplwrks
04-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Looks Like Junk To Me........

Al Makwa
04-06-2008, 10:55 AM
From whatI have heard from Dave Y, best to use new, unless you know who it's from and how old. Me! I'm just preping for next year with all new.
Al

Amber Gold
04-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks for letting me know.

Josh

brookledge
04-06-2008, 07:46 PM
the green stuf looks like US Maple which is vinyl just like 33U Lamb it just keeps on streching and you can never get it tight.
Personally I wouldn't buy it. but if it was really used only 2 years I would say the fittings are still good. But is it worth it to cut out all of the tees and taps?
Keith

VtSugarhouse
04-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Never use used tubing!!
I even have some two year old Leader (dk blue) drop tubing which I am replacing because it is junk. It looks good but under vacuum at every joint or fitting they leak badly.
Using the new Waterloo semi rigid or rigid tubing it never leaks and really has great memory and the ability to seal at each joint.

I have been using it for the last 2 years and it works for me!!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-06-2008, 08:57 PM
If it is the green US maple, it was the worst tubing I ever used, well at least it and the purple lamp. Course the blue Lappierre is a close 3rd.

Haynes Forest Products
04-25-2008, 02:32 PM
As I said in one of my other posts I made all the mistakes with tubing BUT I LEARNED FROM THEM. Dont use used tubing. You may be happy for the first year and then the problems start. cracking at tees and taps. When its new and stretchy it will conform over the barbs on the fitting and will stay nice and tight. Now with age its harder to put onto fittings and its not so plyable and you start to get leaks and breaks. One reason I like using veggy oil to put fittings together is it doesnt stretch the tubing. Sap tubing is not like cross link PEX water tubing that is ment to streach and then shrink. Using a tubing tool and over streching will lead to leakes later. I also recomend that you make sure that you dont skimp on the length of tap lines make them long enough to reach the entire trunk of the tree without putting strain on the tee. I wont even use my own used tubing for tap lines that is the problem spot on most systems.

maplecrest
04-25-2008, 05:30 PM
3/4 of my tubing is used 4 seasons tubing. that i picked up here and there over the years. the tubing will last 15 years but the fittings dont. i cut out all fittings and throw away. have had good luck with this practice and make 1/2 gallon per tap doing it

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-25-2008, 08:41 PM
The key with what Jeff is doing is that he is buying good quality tubing even if it is used. It doesn't do any good to buy new or used tubing if it isn't quality good tubing when it is new and if it is good tubing and not cruddy used, it should be fine.