PDA

View Full Version : Steam Hood

Amber Gold
04-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Bascom's is selling a used 2'x2' steam hood for $100. I was thinking of getting it for my setup and was wondering if it's worth it? Does the syrup pan steam hood typically have its own stack or does it vent into the flue pan steam hood?

Thanks

Josh

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-06-2008, 02:50 PM
If it's stainless or aluminum, it is well worth that. I doubt it has any stack with it for that price and a 2x2 hood would likely only have 6" stack, so you could pick up some of that for fairly cheap.

Amber Gold
04-06-2008, 07:24 PM
The hood is stainless.

I wasn't sure if the steam hood would:
A. have it's own vent.
B. Have a hole in the back like yours so that it vents into the flue pan hood.
C. Put a 90 on the front steam hood and a T on the flue pan steam hood so that there will be just one stack through the roof.

I'm drafting up my sugar shack now and I don't think I'll be building a cupula and will be running stacks for all of my vents.

Thanks

brookledge
04-06-2008, 08:30 PM
If you are going to have a hood on your flue pan with a preheater and have a damper I would recommend having a seperate stack for your syrup pan hood. You could always tie it in above the damper though. Personally I would go with a seperate stack. Most hoods are made with the proper size stack for it and if you try to put two hoods into one stack it might not be large enough for both. Also If I had a hood over my syrup pan I would want it to be larger than my syrup pan because I would suspend it up about 18" so I could see and be able to have acsess to every where.
When you custom make one like Brandon's you can make your stack larger to accomidate both pans.
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-06-2008, 09:09 PM
I agree with Keith that it is better to have two stacks for proper venting. I do have 2 stacks and have them tied together above the steam damper. I am pretty happy with my setup other than I wish I had made the steam hood overhang the syrup pan by 2 or 3 inches since it is suspended above the syrup pan to help catch the steam better.

brookledge
04-07-2008, 11:37 AM
that is why I would recommend going with a larger hood for the syrup pan. Just alittle breeze and the steam will not go into the hood
Keith

Brent
04-07-2008, 10:00 PM
my new evap came with a fully enclosed sap pan hood and preheater and that part works well. The syrup pan hood is 2 x 2 and sits about 20" above the syrup pan and has a separate 6" stack. I get more steam spilling around the syrup hood than I am happy with. I am going to test a longer stack to see if it will draw better. If that doesn't do it I'm going to go up a size in diameter.

I wholly agree with the guys above. Keep them separate. I think I would have a much worse problem if I tried to vent the syrup hood through a shared stack.