PDA

View Full Version : Chronic case of ADS

PATheron
04-06-2008, 06:59 AM
Guys-Ive got a full headtank of concentrate and the sap is still running and I just cant bring myself to go out and boil it. I think something has snapped inside my brain. I think I have a bad case of -ss drag syndrome. Have any of you other traders experianced this too. How do I regain my interest in boiling again. I keep drinking coffee and nothing is helping. I know I should be boiling but then I just think screw the big sap. It can just go to hell. Is this a normal feeling after sugaring for two months? Bigsapzar

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-06-2008, 07:05 AM
post edited

maplwrks
04-06-2008, 07:08 AM
This Is Common Theron---especially After All The Time You Have Spent Putting Up New Tubing, Installing Vacuum Pumps, Boiling, Chasing Leaks...etc.... The Last Couple Boils Definatlely Start Losing Their Luster. Buckle Down....it's Almost Over!!

PATheron
04-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Kevin- Guess I better get at it. How are you making out now, is your sap running pretty good now? My releaser did that hang up last night when I turned the pump back. You were exactly right. I went and pulled the closest tap and it went right to working. Now ill know for next year. I think Im just about done but it just froze barely last night so I think it may run a couple more days. Im sure im making commercial today. Ill keep boiling till it stops running. Theron

TapME
04-06-2008, 07:27 AM
You have the illness that is associated with 600 gallons of fancy syrup. It's called fancy illusions. When the fancy stopped so did your fancy for making syrup. Just kidding. Everyone at some point gets this effect to one degree or another. I know I do. It's normal now just go out and start and it will all come back to you.

royalmaple
04-06-2008, 08:06 AM
THeron-

Some good fur pounding will help.

Just think of that money sitting in barrels in the garage. Giddee UP. Plus that **** cold doesn't help at all either.

Good luck on the Mersh.

gmcooper
04-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Theron,
Already been there and done that and will again soon I'm sure. The end of the season does really drag you down for sure. Just remember all the syrup your making now will finance next years 2000 tap expansion! remember you have to keep feeding the addiction, bigger dose each year!

Mark

Just checking our weather forcast for the coming week and no freezing at all. Not good for sap flow.

tyrod2
04-06-2008, 09:06 AM
When the sugar season was over here in Ohio and I started cleaning up .cleaning buckets. cleaning tanks cleaning lines washed down my sugar house and evaporator and so on knowing if I did not next season would be a mess. After 3 dayes of cleaning I was tired ,wet and disgusted and wondered if it is all worth it.That was a week or so .Now I am figuring out how to in large my sugar house and where to put out moor taps for next year . What a sickness this is. Ronnie

fred
04-06-2008, 10:54 AM
its the sickness we all have as we all have said. a month after you are done you will have a tickle in your gut anticipating next year. when the money comes in from syrup you will look around and see what you can improve on!!!

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-06-2008, 04:50 PM
post edited

3% Solution
04-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Theron,
Get your *** out of that chair, stop with the "I hate sap" ordeal!!!!!
You did it to yourself!!!!!!!!!
Now, get out there and boil the rest of it, that's money sitting there and you've got to pay off your investment!!!!!!
We all end up with the same thing, I said it a few weeks ago; "Boy I can't wait for it to start running,it's going to be great, then 4 weeks later, I wish this **** would stop running, I'm sick of it!"
The thing that keeps me going is the rest of you guys, big and small.
So, now that I've got you ticked, get out there!!!
I am sure it will be over soon for you, as it is really going down the tubes here very quickly.
Theron, do what you enjoy, make some syrup like it just started!!!!!
Hope to meet you someday!!

Dave

Sugarmaker
04-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Dave,
Nice pep talk I could have used it about two weeks ago.
Hey how is the sap enhancer working? Its been several weeks since Iv boiled so I am beginning to start thinking about next year!

Theron,
Only 600 gallons? Huh! I did 140 on raw sap, no vacuum, no RO, no sap running into the sugarhouse. Come on! cowboy up, and get to it! Finish this thing!:)

Chris

Dave Y
04-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Theron,
Be careful what yo wish for ! you may get it. Oh, you did. And you didn't have to carry one once of sap. Quit whining and get er done!

3% Solution
04-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi Chris,
Yeah the EEU has worked out great.
We have saved time and wood!! :) :)
We have 33 gallons in containers, last year we boiled for 76 hours to make 34.5 gallons of syrup and this year we have 49 hours.
So that's like 27 hours less for almost the same amount, say nothing about the amount of wood we didn't burn!!!
We usually put up about 2.25 to 2.5 cords of wood and I think we have a bit more than a cord left!!!!
Give me a call sometime as I have some ideas about the EEU which will save money and should work out just fine!!!

Dave