PDA

View Full Version : Filtering DARK syrup

ennismaple
04-03-2008, 06:36 PM
What do you guys do to filter the really , really dark syrup you get at the end of the season. Some years we've shut down a bit earlier than we could have because my father gets so frustrated trying to filter "commercial" syrup that he'd rather quit than change filters after every draw off.

Do you bother filtering commercial syrup or do you only run it through either the cloth or paper filter and say good enough? With the higher prices for all grades it looks like it'll be worth making every drop you can get this year.

HHM-07
04-03-2008, 06:50 PM
try filter aide its the cat;s a---- it works great

danno
04-03-2008, 08:32 PM
The dealer I sell to does not require that commercial be filtered. They test it for density, weigh it and cut me a check. You may want to check with your buyer to see if they want it filtered. Saves me some headaches and gives me some extra $ as they are buying niter and all.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Ennis,

I am suprised with your size operation you don't have a filter press. It would make it much easier.

ennismaple
04-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Ennis,

I am suprised with your size operation you don't have a filter press. It would make it much easier.

We don't need one - our syrup comes off the evaporator and goes through a single paper filter on top of a cloth filter and comes out the other side sparkling. Once we get into the really dark syrup at the end of the year there's so much sugar sand it's a pain to filter.

brookledge
04-08-2008, 09:26 PM
A filter press is one of those items that you can do with out but when you get one you say how did I do it without one. And you will never go back. Sort a like an R.O. also
With your size operation making commercial grade and running it through the press would add up to enough money to pay for it in one season With 3900 taps figure an easy 100-200 gallons of black stuff. Take 100 gallons and commercial paying around $2.00/lb. thats $2,200 and a press is less than that
Keith

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-08-2008, 11:19 PM
post edited