PDA

View Full Version : Insulating front evaporator doors

Al
04-12-2004, 09:20 AM
I think I've seen this subject before but can't find it again. I want to insulate my doors. Boy do I lose alot of heat that way. Can it be done and if so how? Also what about a gasket around the door? If I insulate the doors inside I proberly won't need a gasket around the outside of the doors. Is that correct?
Thanks and take care

WF MASON
04-12-2004, 02:48 PM
I think the easy way would be to drill four 1/4'' holes, in 1 1/2''or so from each corner, cut one or two layers of blanket to fit the door, put your 1/4'' bolt through the drilled hole , through the blanket , add large flat washer and nut . The bolts will burn off and need to be replaced each year.
Or buy Incanol studs and washers used in oil fired arches and have them welded to the inside of the door. Then put your blanket on.

Parker
04-12-2004, 07:11 PM
I have seen people drill the above mentioned holes and put in a 3/4" spacer then a stainless peice covering the inside of the door, they did this cause with blowers and good wood the stock doors would glow red and yellow and crack eventually,,I guess the air space sloves that problem,,but with just the insultion on the inside of the door I would worry about it getting damaged when closing it on the wood,,,if you had the insulation and the stainless, well now that might just work on mine and save me $1800,,,I was wondering how to do that, :idea: , I like this site :) Parker

WF MASON
04-12-2004, 07:30 PM
My thinking is by covering the door with the blanket , it keeping the heat off the door. By using spacers , I'd think the heat could still go behind the blanket and still heat the door ????

Fred Henderson
04-12-2004, 07:48 PM
well boys that is how I set my door up as Parker described and it works perfect. It gets a little warn but never red. I filled that air space with 2" ceramic blanket insulation. What sticks out beyond the inner plate acts as the door gasket.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-12-2004, 08:39 PM
The good thing is you can buy the ceramic blanket on ebay really cheap. The 1" thick 2300 degree runs around $ 50 and the 1" thick 2600degree runs around $ 60. That is for a 50 square foot roll so if you replaced the insulation on the arch front and doors every year, you could still get 10 years out of a roll! :D :D

Parker
04-13-2004, 04:52 AM
W F Mason- I was trying to describe replaceing the airsapce with the blanket and sandwiching it in there with the stainless,,do you think that would still heat the doors? I am really curious about how this might work as I will be doing something with my doors this summer. I think if the blanket was a slightly wider than the door it would seal loose doors and one would avoid the flying ash problem?? Thanks in advance,,,,,Parker