PDA

View Full Version : Basics of Filtering

MapleME
04-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Hey gang, Im the new guy here looking forward to weekend 2 of my syrup experiment, as I have called it.

I have about 50 gallons collected this week after last weeks boils gave me 2 gallons of great final product.

Last weekend I filtered the syrup with what I realize now was just a paper insert for a felt filter. I did it twice- once after it boiled down outside before I finished it on the stove, and a second time before the bottles. Both times I used the same type of filter.

SOOOO, after some much reading I understand now that I need to pick up a felt filter and put that liner INSIDE of it. duh!

I guess my question is really, if I filter using this method between taking it off the evaporator and finishing it off on the stove inside, it it necessary to filter it just before bottling? Seems like an extra step to me- but with knowbody holding my hand through this learning process, bear with me. Maybe obvious to you but its stumping me. I hope to do it right this weekend!

Thanks in advance and hello to any Mainers!

MapleME

Maple Restoration
04-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Just from pasted experience when you go to pre-heat your syrup for bottling you may create more sugar sand so I normally take the extra time to filter, nothing worse than having cloudy syrup.

325abn
04-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Just dont take it to 190 and you wont get any more sand.

MapleME
04-02-2008, 05:39 PM
hmm, well here is how I have been doing things- been getting it to about 217 in the evap outside and then bringing it in for the final 2 degrees. I bottle it right after I take it off the stove (not sure what temp it is at this point)..So I guess I am confused by the last reply. I haven't re-heated anything after its finished.

Thanks a ton for the help.
Josh

Doc
04-02-2008, 05:49 PM
I am even more new than you are so don't listen to much of what I have to say yet. I read somewhere that people used NEW pantyhose for a filter. I have no idea if this would do in a pinch. I'll be following this post to find out the best materials to use in the future.
Goodluck MapleMe
Doc

Doc
04-02-2008, 05:51 PM
I do know that many people allow the stove finished syrup to cool and then later reheat it to 185 before they put it in bottles,etc. I also guess that if you heat it above 190....sugar crystals form.

tuckermtn
04-02-2008, 06:23 PM
once syrup is at the correct temp/density, then you can do a good final filter...we filter twice- once with a paper cone filter as it comes off the evap (typically 2 deg before syrup), then once it has been finished in the finisher (we draw off apporx a gallon per draw, then finish once we have 5-10 gallons in the finisher), we filter again with flat filters (one paper pre and one felt)

we jug mostly in plastic, so we let it cool to between 180 and 190ish before jugging- glass you want it close to 190.

not sure about jugging/bottling right at 219...

-tuckemtn

Russell Lampron
04-02-2008, 06:32 PM
When you finish your syrup from the 217 you draw at to the 219 it is releasing more nitre (sugar sand) so it needs to be filtered again. If you are heating cold syrup to can it you need to get it to 180 degrees to kill any bacteria. The syrup will begin to release more nitre at 193 degrees so stay between 180 and 190 when canning.

Flat or cone type Orlon filters and prefilter papers work well and aren't too expensive. I wouldn't try pantyhose. You don't know what chemicals might leach out into your syrup.

MapleME
04-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the tips, gang, im bottling in metal syrup cans, some pint and a few quarts if im lucky.

I guess I will do the pre filter/felt filter combo as it comes off the evap and then just use a prefilter when its finished.

I guess this leads me to ask do I need to let this cool before I bottle it or can I just pull it off the heat at 219 (or whatever the temp may be that day) and bottle it?

MapleME

Uncle Tucker
04-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Just my 2 cents’.
The way I filter my syrup is I boil it heavy (over 219) on the evaporator. I draw off into the finisher (turkey deep fryer) all night. Once the evaporator is cooling off for the night, I test the simmering syrup. It is too heavy so I draw off the sweet from the evaporator and add it to the finisher to it is the right density. At this point, I put it through a felt filter and let it set until morning. The syrup is always crystal clear and the filter and pre filter are always empty the next morning. Then I heat the syrup to 185’ and can it. Never had a problem with sugar sand or cloudiness. The trick is once you filter the right density syrup don’t heat it past 190’.
The panty hose are for bottling, you don’t get foam in your bottles with the over your fill spout.

MapleME
04-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks Tucker. Is it pretty common to filter, let cool and re heat to bottle? I had never heard this method.
MapleME

SeanD
04-02-2008, 09:49 PM
I think it's common with us batch boilers. In my case after a full day of boiling outside then coming in to finish it off, it's easier to get some sleep and tackle the bottling the next day or the day after or the day after... It also gives time for your syrup to work its way through your filter or for the sediment to settle if you are decanting it.

If you still have the energy after the boil, you may as well get it all done in one shot. Just make sure your syrup temp is 180+ before it goes in the can. i would think it cools pretty fast in your filter.

I had heard once that the cooling and reheating of syrup darkens it, but I haven't really experienced that yet. Good luck.

Sean

Gary in NH
04-03-2008, 09:14 AM
I'm only doing small batches so I finish on the kitchen stove in stock pots to a little past 66 brix. I let the syrup cool a few degrees and add filter aid then pour right into the cone filters. I only pour in a few cups at a time because it is easier to remove pre-filters as they clog. I have a couple of glass coffee pots that I swap back and forth to collect the filtered syrup under the filters. I pour right into bottles from the coffee pots. If I set out the bottles and caps ahead of time I can get 1 to 1 1/2 gallons into the bottles well before it gets down to 180 degrees. I try to do glass first while it is hottest. I like to do it this way because there is no reheating or additional filtering needed. If I had several gallons to do I think I would do it differently and re-heat.

MapleME
04-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Gary, sounds like im in a similar situation to you- are you using the same filters for both filtering steps?

I have the felt cone filter and a bunch of pre filters so Im hoping I can just use the same ones (after I rinse them clean).

MapleME

SeanD
04-03-2008, 10:36 AM
That's a pretty efficient system of finishing and bottling. The coffee pots sound like a really easy way to handle and pour into bottles. How do you hold the filters above the pots?

Gary in NH
04-03-2008, 02:52 PM
[quote=MapleME;46905]Gary, sounds like im in a similar situation to you- are you using the same filters for both filtering steps?

I have the felt cone filter and a bunch of pre filters so Im hoping I can just use the same ones (after I rinse them clean).

MapleME[/quote

I forgot to mention when I am done boiling outside on my SS pan I filter through a flat filter paper held by a SS strainer. I layer 2 or 3 filter papers on top of each other and push them into the strainer. I then place the strainer right on top of the stock pot and pour the syrup from the pan into the strainer. When the flow slows through the filter paper I pull the top one off. This first filtration step catches alot of coarse niter. Then I finish on the kitchen stove and final filter with the cone filter and pre-filters. From there it goes right into the bottles. I pre-wet the filters in boiling sap and then bring them into the house and hang them up so they drip out.

Gary in NH
04-03-2008, 02:56 PM
That's a pretty efficient system of finishing and bottling. The coffee pots sound like a really easy way to handle and pour into bottles. How do you hold the filters above the pots?

I have two kitchen cabinet doors in a corner and I can hook the loops of the filter over the knobs on the door. It is the perfect height and right next to the stove. I only hook two of the four loops.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-04-2008, 07:38 PM
I do the same thing as Tuckermtn, I just reheat it at the end of the boil, thin down, run thru press into canner and bottle.

If I don't bottle that day, I reheat whenever I get ready to bottle. I did almost 100 gallon this year on less than a 20lb tank of propane. That is the nice thing about drawing off a little heavy, it is much quicker to thin than to have to boil it to thicken it with propane especially as much as it cost.

I draw off into 5 gallon buckets and seal with a airtight lid, so at the end of the day, the syrup is still really warm in the buckets and reheats quickly. Object is to have it reheated almost by the time you are done boiling.

Mike Van
04-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Mostly for the new guys here on this thread - When I started I lived by the 217 draw - 219 finished temp. Hey, it looked good, tasted good, I thought it was good, until I bought a hydrometer. It sank to the bottom in my syrup I thought was finished at 219. I had to go 220, sometimes 221 to get the 66 brix. Buy one, well worth the $.

MapleME
04-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Mike Just sent you a PM

Josh