PDA

View Full Version : Filter Press

maple maniac65
04-02-2008, 06:51 AM
At the end of each shut down I draw off 2 pails of sweet and run it through my filter press to put back in the next day when I start to boil. I went one step further last night. I blocked off the flue pan and cycled the rest of the front pan through the filter press until 90% of the niter and was out of the front pan. It looked so good that I hooked up the flue pan and cycled that through for about 15 minutes. Yes, it was alot of work for the filter press pump but I have made 68 gallons of syrup so far and the mud is starting to come heavy. Not one bit of sugar sand this year. Last night I started making DA and ended with a real good MA.

I am wondering if I do this every couple of days will it help? I am hoping that I can make more syrup without having to do an acid wash. Usually after 100 gallons on a 30x8 I have to stop for 1/2 a day and clean the evaporator.

802maple
04-02-2008, 08:03 AM
What you did last night is what I do every night and it does help alot

maplehound
04-02-2008, 08:57 PM
I don't ussually go through all that, but I htink it will help. ther is another benifit as well. by doing that you will get all the heavy sweet out of the filter press and that makes it easier to clean. I myself always run a bucket off of my flue pan and put that through my filter press to get the sticky syrup ( heavy sweet) out of it for easier clean up.