PDA

View Full Version : 2x8 rate

wanabe
04-12-2004, 09:01 AM
Hi Guys,

Just a couple of questions can anybody tell me a estimated boiling rate of a 2x8 with forced air, preheater, and rear pan hood? Also how many taps should I use for a 2x8 I probably wont be able to boil more than one or two days a week. I dont want to tap too many and have sap spoil but I also dont want to have days I where I run out of sap after boiling ony 4 or 5 hours. Worst case there is a large producer about 5 miles from here that would probably gladly take any overflow I may have.

Jeff

mapleman3
04-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Jeff

Just to give you an idea, I have a 2x6 I had 325 taps this year.. but close to 100 were on a bush that didn't run that good on gravity... so most of my 58 gallons of syrup was produced on 225+ taps, my rig was doing 30-35gph, I would boil 3 days a week, wed, sat , sun. most days I boiled I had 250-300 gals on normal runs, and that may have been 2 days worth of sap. when it got warmer I dreaded holding it more than 1-2 days, if your tank is insulated and the sap went in cool you may be okay for more than a couple days... but sap can be warm going in and stay warm, which can degrade the sap faster...if you wait a whole week, you wouldn't want to lose that much sap. I bought a milk cooler for next season to counter act that and cool the sap but still will boil off as soon as I can. back to the rate.. with all your saying your putting on the 2x8 I bet you end up near 55+ gph....that said a 10 hr day boil off 550 gals of sap,2 days 1200 gals if thats a weeks worth ??300 taps maybe 350-400? the more days you boil.. the more taps...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-12-2004, 10:15 AM
Jeff,

I have a 2x8 drop flue and with forced air and a preheater, you should get 45 to 50 gallons per hour and maybe more. It may be less than that the first year as you learn how to operate it and how to fire it the best way to maximize gph. Like everything else, it takes time, so don't get discouraged if you are getting less than that on your first boil or two.

wanabe
04-13-2004, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Being I only made 6 gallons of syrup this year Ill be turning cartwheels in the yard If I make a gallon an hour. Spring is here and I can hardly wait for the next sugaring season.

Thanks Jeff