PDA

View Full Version : flue pan on flue pan

drake1271
03-30-2008, 07:42 PM
maybe a stupid idea but i was thinking of putting a 2 pan on top of my back pan?? will this work as a preheater?? will it boil?? what are everyone thoughts

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-30-2008, 07:45 PM
As long as you had a drip pan underneath it, it might help some but then the drip pan would need to cover the entire underside and then steam couldn't get to it. You could work around it and pipe the steam thru areas of the drip pan, but in the long run, you would be much better with a steamaway or a steampan from CDL designed for it.

drake1271
03-30-2008, 07:56 PM
ya good point i never thought about a drip pan.. lol

markct
03-30-2008, 09:05 PM
i have a question about a steamaway, how exactly does it work, i have never gotten to look at one upclose, is it basicly just a pan with the copper pipes running thru it and the steam is piped thru the inside of the pipes and the sap is in the pan around the outside of the pipes? thats how it appeared on the one i saw but i couldnt look to closely and it was running

Bill'sSugarShack
04-09-2008, 02:13 PM
I put a small pan over the back of mine as a preheater.
To deal with condisation drip, I took a piece of corigated roofing, cut slits in the high side to allow steam thru...leaving low side/valleys to collect drips. Put a small spacer between the roofing n pre heat pan...plus put a spacer between roofing and hot pan on one end in order to creat a slight slope so water could run off..

brookledge
04-09-2008, 06:20 PM
markct
A steamaway uses a blower to agitate the sap as the steam rises to heat the sap. Think of it this way if you take a pot of water and heat it to say 180 there will not be much evaporation. But now take a spoon and start stirring it hard. Now all of a sudden you see steam rising where as before there was none noticeable. Well a steam away works the same way by blowing air in the tubes it allows steam to escape that normally would be held by the surface tension of the sap.
Keith