PDA

View Full Version : retail pricing

The Sappy Steamer
03-30-2008, 03:52 PM
How do you structure pricing if a person buys, say a gallon or two, but wants it in pints or quarts. Do you charge them the gallon price plus the cost of the extra jugs? Or charge them the individual pint or qt. price? Or just the gallon price? I can rationalize either of the first two and anticipate debating the last one.

Fred Henderson
03-30-2008, 04:04 PM
I am straight across the board, so much for each container size. I will make an exception if a guy wants a gallon and I am out of gallons. I will sell him 2 half gallons for the price of a one gallon container. You have to do the extra work and supply the containers for the different sizes.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-30-2008, 04:50 PM
I don't sell in any size but quarts and pints. Quarts are $ 12 and if someone buys a gallon they pay $48 and two gallon is $ 96. Usually, if someone buys a larger quanity, like $70 to $ 100, I will usually throw in a free pint or if they buy a very large quanity like 2.5 or 3 gallons, a free quart.

In the past, I couldn't hardly sell 1/2 gallons or gallons at all even at lower prices vs quarts, so I just sell these sizes and everyone is happy.

ennismaple
03-30-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm with Fred - if someone wants a gallon but in pint sizes they pay for 8 pints. Smaller sizes are priced higher than an equally divided larger size because of the extra container, label and labout costs. Plus, if you try to divide a gallon into what should be an equal amount of smaller containers you'll always come up short because each container has a certain amount of extra volume to make sure it has the minimum volume stated on the label.

mapleman3
03-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Try asking that at a store?? it won't happen... sell at the jug price... jugs cost more and more.... a quart is a quart...is a quart

The Sappy Steamer
03-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Good, I guess I've been on the right track. Thanks fellas

MaplePancakeMan
03-30-2008, 08:01 PM
I only bottle in Pints as its seems to move best and is one of the most profitable sizes. Gives me 72 per gallon less $7.20 for the 8 pints that make up a gallon.

325abn
03-30-2008, 08:15 PM
$9.00/PT and $17/qt

ennismaple
03-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Try asking that at a store?? it won't happen... sell at the jug price... jugs cost more and more.... a quart is a quart...is a quart

It's the economy of scale... kinda like how it's cheaper to buy ketchup in a 5 gallon pail from Costco than in one cup bottles. If anyone wants to buy a 35 gallon drum of syrup instead of 35 individual jugs they get a really good price! (now if I can only find those customers)