PDA

View Full Version : Planting

Jay
04-11-2004, 08:06 PM
I didnt know where to put this so i put it here, was looking for any information on planting sugar maples,i would like to plant approx 50 or so trees next to the sapbush that is already there, its an old field that does not see any use. I would like to statrt with trees about 3 to 4 feet. I will probably split the cost with the hunting club that hunts on my familys land. What problem will i have with the deer. The soil is good, a loam with good drainage and a very acidic. Any info would be great,thanks,Jay How far apart should they be spaced?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Jay,

As far as the deer problem goes, I would recommend buying a roll of stanard fence wire at least 48" in height and make small round cages out of it and put them around the trees. One stake on any side of the cage driven into the ground good will be all the support you will need to keep the wire from getting moved.

Sugar maples do not like poor soil and don't thrive very much there. If the soil is poor, I would think you could probably put manure around the bases of the trees once or twice a year to help build up the soil until they can get started good. Sugar maples seem to help the ground get richer and add back more to it than they take out. I guess that it is partly because of their leaves and the good shade they provide in the woods allowing lots of other annual veggetation to grow and rot in the fall that helps build up the ground also.

ontario guy
04-13-2004, 06:24 AM
is there any way you could get a permit to have the deer hunted. In ontario the ministry that regulates the deer hunt will make special provisions for farmers having their crops ruined. The have sort of a controled open hunt to cut the deer population down. I am not sure if you have such a thing and if your partner hunters would like it.

I have transplanted many trees and have found that sometimes the little ones grow faster that if you try to plant them too big. 2 to 3 feet sounds good thouigh.

Good luck and happy tapping in 15 years or so.

Mark

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-13-2004, 01:22 PM
The only problem with deer control as we have it here in this state is that you can't get all of them and deer do most of their browsing at night, so it would be close to impossible to control all of it.

Jay
04-13-2004, 08:25 PM
To all that responded, thanks,WVM is right. We own approx 500 acres and are surrounded by thousands more. We would not be able to keep up with them. I was thinking of planting 25 or so in the spring and put the the wire fence around each one like WVM said, also put the plastic on the tree it self. I will see how i do with 25 and then go from there, i have room for about 50 or so and then if i clear the side hill of all the bushes i could plant abot 75 more. I am going to plant some red oak also. Trial and error i guess,LoL. Thanks again, Jay

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-13-2004, 08:52 PM
Jay,

It won't hurt to plant them a little closer together than recommended if you decide to because not all of the trees will make it. Nature has a way of thinning out trees itself due to a number of factors.

Good luck with the project and hopefully in a couple of years, you can let us know how it is going! :D :D :D

mapleman3
04-13-2004, 09:12 PM
My local dealer here has planted about 15 years ago some sugars that they call something like super sugars or something, they are supposed to mature to tapable size in a fraction of the time. has anybody else here heard of these trees??

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Jim,

How big are the ones your local dealer planted now??

Jay
04-14-2004, 06:41 PM
Lobstari, do you know where i could get more info on those SUPER MAPLES, like where to get them,WVM i will plant them closer thanks.

mapleman3
04-14-2004, 07:32 PM
I will try to find out from my Dealer here... :)

Jay
04-14-2004, 07:41 PM
MM3, thanks.

05-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Anyone find out any info on the high sugar content tree, Jim how about the fast maturing tree? I would love to plant som of these. Thanks.