PDA

View Full Version : Help with Michgan laws please.

Joewhitt
03-30-2008, 12:23 PM
This is really our first year making syrup. We made about 3 gallons last year with the old kettle method and loved it, so this year we bought an evaporator.

Have about 60 taps out and sap is really running good.

I've been trying to read up on Michigan laws regarding licensing for syrup production and am finding them confusing.

We want to put a sign up and sell our syrup here at the house.

From what I am reading, we would have to have a completely different area from our own household kitchen in order to process the syrup? I.e., separate running water, separate stove (we finish on the stove and bottle in the kitchen).

Do they really make you jump through such hoops here in Michigan for processing syrup?

Does anybody have any advise they can offer, would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

forester1
04-01-2008, 07:46 AM
That's what the law says. I could be wrong, but I talked to the local agricultural department person, and he said if you bottle straight from the evaporator and bottler without secondary storage, then you are ok. He kind of was uncertain about recanning from a barrel or larger storage at the sugarhouse later in the year. If you sell candy or cream then you have to have a kitchen that is not your house kitchen. There are various specs. like screened windows and sheilded lights that it has to have to be legal. He said he doesn't bother with people that sell just a few gallons to friends and family.

mark schaefer
04-05-2008, 07:24 AM
You will need to contact the Mich. Dept. of Agriculture. And request a Limited wholesale food processor license. Our inspector is a very nice lady who has only asked for a few minor changes. ie shielded light bulbs over the evaporator. Soap and paper towel dispenser near the sink. The license is $70.00 per year and the inspection is every two years. If you plan on selling any amount of syrup it is well worth the money. If you have a shack in the woods without water or electricity or cement floors you may have other issues. Good luck, Mark

gleasondaddy
02-03-2009, 10:38 AM
I was just going to sell to bulk syrup makers not so much to the public so does that change the laws any?

MapleBud
02-03-2009, 09:26 PM
No you still have to have the license to sell syrup. Rather it be to the public or to bulk buyers or wholesale. I had to have a seperate bottling room inclosed from the evaporator room. This is what the lady told me last year plus you have to have hot water tank also. A sink to was your hands and one to clean up you eqi. Can't be the same sink you wash your hands in. If any lights they have to have a protective sheild on them in case bulb brakes.

Haynes Forest Products
02-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Talked to the inspector in Wisconsin and its a funny deal. You dont need water in the syrup prosses but if you do it has to be state tested. You can have dirt floors in the evaporator room. They want to know how you clean the pans and what type of storage containers and haulers you use. Dont have to submit sample syrup. no tubing inspection. No you cant bottle in the house. But you can bottle in the sap shack as long as you bottle from a heated bottler. Both friends dont have water in the sap shacks and they pass inspections and bottle. Off evaporator to finisher thru press to bottler into bottles no water.

Big maple
02-04-2009, 02:26 PM
we bottle and make cream at our curch because it has a state liscenced kitchen. that seems to make our guy happy

MapleBud
02-04-2009, 06:36 PM
We have to have are water state tested here. we can.t open air it to make syrup we at least have to have a scerned in spot so no brids or bugs can get to things. If you have a sugar shack in no steam hoods on Evap. Every place that is open to the out side has to have screns on them. I think they go to fare with things but we are selling to the public and i guess i would not want bugs or brid crap in my syrup eather.

Tweegs
02-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Been following this thread, interested myself.

The thought occured to me....wonder if the kitchen in my camper would qualify. Running water, hot water tank, electricity, seperate from the house kitchen.

Makes one wonder.

Maple Maker
02-08-2009, 03:26 AM
From what I have gleened over the years from our inspectors and from other producers I've talked with is as follows: You need a rodent proof building with a solid washable floor(concrete, cement slabs in one case that I saw, or wood floor with sheet flooring overlaid). Hot running water(drip pan from a pre heater qualifies as hot running water. Hand washing facilities with soap and single use towels. There is no requirement as to size of building as long as you have room to work. They do like to see a separate room for canning, but as long as you are away from flyash and wood residue I have seen many pack in the same room as the evaporator. The main thing is to keep it clean!
Also sap and syrup should be collected and held in food grade containers(They do not like seeing sap collected in pails which once held floor finishes or other non food chemicals and rightfully so).
I hope this is of some help.

forester1
02-09-2009, 08:54 AM
The big thing for me is hot water from the hood qualifying for hot running water. I may be wrong but I get the impression that there is some leeway depending on the inspector, and the size of your operation. I think the first step is to make an appointment with the MDA person to come out and look.

Tweegs
02-09-2009, 09:44 AM
I think the first step is to make an appointment with the MDA person to come out and look.

I've got to get the shack built before I can have someone come out for a look-see lol.

Very valuable information to have at the onset though. On paper, we are looking at a 16X16 shack to be built over the summer, the size may change depending on State requirements. Cheaper to build it right from the git rather than to have to change something down the road. Thus the high interest in the thread.

To avoid highjacking the thread, I'll shut up and read for a while ;)

Joewhitt
03-19-2009, 06:48 PM
It looks like some new legislation is on the verge of passing, some good, some perhaps not so good.

These are house bills:

HB 5677 (Palsrok)

House Bill 5677 would amend the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act (NREPA) to include maple syrup production in the definition of "agricultural use."

* HB 5677 advanced to 3rd Reading
* HB 5677 was passed [RC 824: 108 yes, 0 no]
* IE was ordered
-------------------------

HB 5678 (Elsenheimer)

House Bill 5678 (Substitute H-1) would amend the General Property Tax Act to include maple syrup production in the definition of "agricultural operations" in the section of the act that exempts personal property used in agricultural operations from property taxes.

* Committee substitute H-1 adopted
* HB 5678 advanced to 3rd Reading
* HB 5678 was passed [RC 825: 108 yes, 0 no]
* IE was ordered

--------------------------------

HB 5679 (Walker)

House Bill 5679 (Substitute H-3) would amend the Food Law of 2000 to specifically exclude maple syrup production from the definition of "food processing plant" and, instead, place maple syrup production facilities and other similar businesses in the new category of "agricultural use operation." A business so categorized would not be considered a food processing plant or a retail processing operation "for purposes of personal or real property" but would have to meet the Food Law's licensing requirements and other standards pertaining to food processing plants and retail processing plants. The new category of "agricultural use operation" would encompass not only maple syrup production facilities but also similar food establishments that finish a raw commodity, are integral to the operation of a farm, and are located on a farm.

* Committee substitute H-3 adopted
* HB 5679 advanced to 3rd Reading
* HB 5679 was passed [RC 826: 106 yes, 0 no]
* IE was ordered

Does anybody know what that last one actually means? I understand that we would have to follow the same rules and regulations as a food processing plant, but what the heck does this mean?

"A business so categorized would not be considered a food processing plant or a retail processing operation "for purposes of personal or real property"

michiganfarmer
03-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Does anybody know what that last one actually means? I understand that we would have to follow the same rules and regulations as a food processing plant, but what the heck does this mean?

"A business so categorized would not be considered a food processing plant or a retail processing operation "for purposes of personal or real property"

Businesses pay property taxes not only on the land and buildings, but also on the equipment they use in the business. It sounds like they are saying that maple producers are exepmpt from paying property tazes on their equipment.

Tweegs
03-20-2009, 08:25 AM
HB5677 and HB5678 were explained at the Association conference back in January.
From my understanding, these two bills addressed the tax status of land used for syrup production, in that it could be deemed as agricultural use. This only pertained to vacant land. i.e. a woodlot without a home on it being used for no other purpose than syrup production. This is a plus for some folks.

HB5679….I’m having just as much trouble as you are deciphering that gobblygook.

forester1
03-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Yeah now I wonder what specifications are required for food processing plants.

mapletbdf
03-20-2009, 11:12 PM
contact your mda inspecter before you build your building they will do a plan revew and let you now what you need before you start

michiganfarmer
06-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Been following this thread, interested myself.

The thought occured to me....wonder if the kitchen in my camper would qualify. Running water, hot water tank, electricity, seperate from the house kitchen.

Makes one wonder.

That is exactly what I did. I hooked a camper to my saphous, and told them I was gonna bottle in the camper. they said ok.