PDA

View Full Version : Deformed Plastic Jugs??

CityMaple
03-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Fairly new to this site, and have found some great information, thanks. I have a slight situation using BACON plastic jugs, i filled them hot 185+ and i am getting some that the sides suck in when they cool. Is this normal or am i doing somthing wrong? This is my first experiance with plastic containers, usualy used mason jars so these deformed bottles have me stumped. Any advice would be appreciated, Joe.

Fred Henderson
03-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Mine will only do that if I leave them lay on their side for over 10 minutes when first bottled. Do you lay them on thier side to seal and santize the cap after they are filled?

CityMaple
03-29-2008, 07:08 PM
yes i lay them on their sides, did not pay attention to the time though. I will pay more attention to the time next batch, thanks for the insight.

mountainvan
03-29-2008, 07:37 PM
That's the contraction of a hot liquid as it cools. I'm sure you noticed that the glass bottles you filled to the top were not filled to the top when the cooled.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
03-29-2008, 07:59 PM
I leave mine lay on their sides untill they or cold, and havent had a problem yet. Are thet filled to the top??????

RICH

CityMaple
03-30-2008, 08:53 AM
I understand the contraction of the syrup, I may just be over worried about having a nice looking container. At least the ones that the sides suck in i know seal, lol. I guess i could see it if they all did it, but some do and some dont.

As for filling i filled them to the bottom of the neck.

maplekid
03-30-2008, 09:23 AM
you should fill them withinabout 1/2 to a 1/4 of an inch from the lid.

DougM
03-31-2008, 11:02 AM
We had the same thing this year. We've been using Bacon jugs for several years and this is the first time we have had any significant contraction like that.