PDA

View Full Version : Dry Taps

Jerome
04-10-2004, 06:19 AM
I tapped early in March when the sap started to run here. At that time I noticed that I was getting more sap out of one tap in a tree then in the other I just put it down as not quite warm on the other side and that it would pick up. We then had a spell of cool weather with no sap running and now that it is running again I am finding that of the two taps on a tree I am getting 1 - 1 1/2 gallons in one tap and next to nothing in the other. Do I need to redrill these holes or pull the tap and retap in a nother location?
The other thing I noticed is in the pails that have next to nothing I have a ton of flies, any explanation for this?
Jerome

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-10-2004, 06:18 PM
Jerome,

The dry taps could be a result of deadwood in the tree or the taps drying up. If it didn't run much all season, it is probably a result of being close or in a section of the tree that is not very healthy.

Due to it being late in the year, I wouldn't retap that tree that is already tapped, but if you have some other trees that you could tap and aren't tapped, I would pull the tap(s) that are not running good and put them in another tree!

As far as the bugs/gnats/flies, just something that happens when the weather warms up every year. Just filter the sap and don't worry about it, won't hurt anything!

themapleking
04-11-2004, 06:53 AM
You're tree could have a hollow trunk were the dry tap is, dead spot. Check the tree you could be close to an old tap hole. Any old hole with in 3" from side to side or 12-16" top or bottom on the new tap will effect it.

michaelh05478
04-12-2004, 05:54 AM
When you drill your hole make sure the chips are light colored..if it comes out dark you hit a dead spot....