PDA

View Full Version : What to do with last years syrup?

sugarin4fun
03-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Last year I had 68 taps and made 14 gal, gave 3 away ate 6 and still have 5 left over. Everything I've read says a shelf life of about one year, what should I do with it? Can't dump it, to much work. Would like to turn some of it into sugar, would that help preserve it longer? This year I only put out 38 taps and already have 16 gal made. I plan on selling some, giving more away and eating alot more. Cream goes over very well in this house but it is hard to make with just a wooden spoon, (almost burned up the wifes mixer with the first batch). So I hope not to have as much left over next year. Any suggestions?
Thanks Greg

TapME
03-27-2008, 08:55 PM
try some maple butter to put on toast in the morning. It's not had to make and easy on the mixer. I have kept syrup for 2 years with no problem in glass.

325abn
03-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Thats a great average 16 Gal from 38 taps!!!!!!

PATheron
03-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Greg- Your going to be putting seminars on with averages like that. I think if syrup is hotsealed, say if you used new lids and glassed it hot and they seal it should last for a real long time. Its basically canned at that point Id say. I dont think id worry about the year thing. Im not posative but im pretty sure my parents have had my syrup put up like that and used it years later. Ill ask my mom. Theee(bigsapzar)roon.

maple flats
03-28-2008, 05:07 AM
Bottle more in glass and what you don't sell use for gift giving at the holidays. Sell some at work, I sell about 15-25 gal/yr at work plus I sell some molded sugar at work too.

Father & Son
03-28-2008, 05:50 AM
Value added products! Maple mustard, maple coated peanuts, cream, candy. Let people try some of these products and they will become your customers.

Jim

tapper
03-28-2008, 06:23 AM
Greg,

Like Theron said don't worry about the time thing. The worst that will happen to the syrup is it might mold and if it does just skim off the mold reheat and use it.
I had a nice collection of leftover syrup in small quantities from over the last sevaral years. I dumped it into 5 gal. buckets according to grade took it to a maple dealer that wholesales syrup. You would be suprised the new equipment you can end up with thar way.

fred
03-28-2008, 07:00 AM
As I Said Before I Have Syrup In Bottles That Were Made Before I Was Born(late 60's).if It Was Made Right And Bottled Right It Will Not Go Bad.throw A Sign Out In The Front Yard You Will Be Surprised How Fast It Is Gone!!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Put it in the freezer, will keep forever.

Fred Henderson
03-28-2008, 10:15 AM
You should send all your old (last years) syrup to me postage paid and I will dispose of it. I am just joking of course. My wife uses the older stuff for cooking. It is better than using refine sugar.

sweetwoodmaple
03-28-2008, 10:40 AM
On the maple cream, try to pick up a Kitchenaid Professional 6 (has to have all metal gears). A little pricey, but way better than buying a cream machine if you are only doing a small amount every year.

I've had mine for several years, and it's still going strong.

sugarin4fun
03-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks for all the info, my wife and I figured it would last at least two years. We can most of our jams, jellies, fruits and veggies and we don't have a problem taking most of them out two years. I'm new at the maple syrup though and just figured I would ask. I did take a 1/2 gal 5 qts and 2 pts to work and they sold in about 10 min, two guys ordered 1/2 gals and I'm sure more will sell once the word gets around. My new problem is that the sap is still running and I'm out of wood so it looks like my season is over. Thanks again, Greg

danno
03-29-2008, 10:33 PM
About making cream, I've been using my drill press on slow speed with a sheetrock mud paddle. Works well!

MR Electrician
03-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Thanks for all the info, my wife and I figured it would last at least two years. We can most of our jams, jellies, fruits and veggies and we don't have a problem taking most of them out two years. I'm new at the maple syrup though and just figured I would ask. I did take a 1/2 gal 5 qts and 2 pts to work and they sold in about 10 min, two guys ordered 1/2 gals and I'm sure more will sell once the word gets around. My new problem is that the sap is still running and I'm out of wood so it looks like my season is over. Thanks again, Greg

i suggest you go through the house and start cutting up old furniture to burn
the wife wont mind sleeping on the floor ,as long as theres fresh maple syrup in the pantry, he he

ok seriously now sell the sap to some one else,or collect old skids .
but dont spill the nectar of the maple god's.

TapME
03-30-2008, 08:09 AM
I got one of the local businesses to get some pallets, not only did they want me to have them they brought them to me. It was going to cost them to dispose of them and would have to pay someone to take them there. Was a win win for everyone. They burn really hot too.