PDA

View Full Version : Used 2'x4' Leader Evaporator

Amber Gold
03-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Saw this in the NH Craigslist if anyone's interested.

http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/619137534.html

MapleME
04-02-2008, 07:47 PM
is that a good deal? seems like big $

Mike Van
04-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Brand new in the catalog, it's 3730.00.

Amber Gold
04-03-2008, 07:07 AM
I think it's kind of expensive for something that's used and only reducing the price by 20%, but you may be able to talk them down. I would think $2500 would be reasonable.

Dill
04-03-2008, 08:16 AM
I agree they are asking way too much. I wouldn't go over 1500 but I'm cheap.
I did look at this rig pretty seriously before I built my own. For 500 it seems like a great deal for a working rig with stainless pans.
http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/625142692.html

MapleME
04-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Ok that is what I was thinking it was a little too close to asking price. If Im only saving 15-20% I will just buy a new one :)

Any comments on this model I should be aware of etc?

I thought that looked like a managable size evap for a (what will be) second year guy looking to build his first small sugarhouse (yes, dear- I have taken over the shed!).

2x4 seems about right for 25 taps or so, dont you think?
MapleME

Dill
04-03-2008, 08:30 AM
I'm not sure, kinda of new here, but that doesn't seem like many taps for a real setup. My coworker runs a 2x6 with a raised flue pan on 150 taps (this year 200 last year) and has made 29 gallons this year.
Did you check out the other link I put up? Its a modified barrel stove.

Amber Gold
04-03-2008, 08:39 AM
I just checked out your pics. It looks like it's a family affair and you're all having a good time.

For the past few years I've done it similiarly, boil outside on a concrete arch and then bring it inside to finish on the stove. It works, but I want to move on to bigger and better things. Next year a 2x6.

In my opinion that would be a good size and would allow you to boil probably twice a week. I've got a 2x6 and I'm figuring about 100 taps for next year, boiling all weekend and once after work mid-week. I would say you could probably go as high as 60-70 and keep a similiar schedule.

Josh

MapleME
04-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks, Josh. The father in law had a nice sugar shack about 20 years ago and he has got me hooked- so naturally I had to have him down for the innaurgural boil. Everyone had a blast, and in the end that is why Im doing this. I dont plan to sell anything- just use it and give it.

Ill keep my eyes open for a 2x4 evap. That one for sale below is close enough to me it would be "worth" the drive, so I sent them an email.
Ill let you know if I hear back!

Josh

MapleME

maple marc
04-04-2008, 02:04 PM
I have this same size and model. Just finished second year on it. I'm still learning the art--boiled on a very rough home job for 3 years before moving up to this. I had 59 taps this year and was very busy for a month. I made 24 gallons of syrup on it in 10 boils. Actually had an eleventh boil on the back porch to boil the remaining sweet.

I burned 1.7 cords of wood to make the 24 gallons--I know the guys with bigger rigs are much more efficient. A lot of heat goes up the stack on this short rig. I fire every 6-7 minutes with 2 or 3 sticks. Add 2-3 drops of defoamer in the flue pan each fire.

I'm still trying to learn how to tune it. I have a dial thermometer installed on each side. I thought I calibrated them well, but I don't have finished syrup unless that thermometer reads at least 8.5. Then quite often it starts to spike up as I draw out syrup that is a couple of points heavy. I keep drawing, measuring until the syrup is on the light side of the red line. I draw off maybe a quart or two at a time, sometimes three quarts. The folks at Leader have been very patient answering my questions. They recommended adding a drop of defoamer right next to the draw valve as I start to draw, but I don't think this made much of a difference. I think that I may be making some syrup in the middle compartment, but I'm not sure.

The syrup pans come either left or right-hand draw--you will always draw from that same side. Make sure you design your shack accordingly. I rotated and rinsed out my syrup pan once mid-season.

You might want to check how much the floor of the syrup pan is warped. Mine seems to have warped a bit so the the middle compartment runs about 3/8" more shallow that the outside compartments.

If you get this rig, I wouldn't put a 10" stack on it. I did and I think it's too much draw. If I dont' keep the draft door completely closed and sealed all around with fire bricks, the stack temperature goes way too high.

Running at 1000 degrees, I got almost 20gph, but you'll have some spitting and popping out of your flue pan in this mode.

This is probably more than you wanted to know, but it's better to be well-informed. If you get it, I'd be happy to compare notes with you. Good luck.

Marc