PDA

View Full Version : crossing farm road with mainline

markct
03-26-2008, 08:00 PM
well i have basicly figured out how to tube my land for next year, most of my trees are along the sides of a shallow valley so i will run my mainline along the path of the brook which is a graduall pitch downhill to the town road where i can put my tank. the only part to workout is about halfway up there is a field road that cuts between our field and my neighbors back field, whats the best idea on crossing it, should i just hang the tubing across it and then when sap season is over disconect it and pull it back from the road, or could i dip down and go thru a pipe under the road, this is just on gravity so i dont know how that would do with flowing and freezin etc, its not a road used alot but we do cut across it from time to time, and towards the end of sap season they made need access to spread manure and such so i would preffer not to block it, but if thats the best option for flow i would consider it

Valley View Sugarhouse
03-26-2008, 08:06 PM
when you pipe it make sure the only thing that crosses it is the mainline the you can get a quick connect from Bascoms or another supplier, I have about 20 of these in my orchard and have no problems with them as long as I replace the o ring every 4 or 5 years

markct
03-26-2008, 08:14 PM
yea i was picturing something like a pipe union but yea a quick connect would be perfect, disconect, drive thru, and hook back up, i assume you mean the camlock type with the two locks on the side and a groove the fit into on the male part? what do ya do about the lack of support crossing the road, like since there wont be wire to tie it to like the rest of the mainline, will a little sag hurt anything on gravity

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
03-26-2008, 08:25 PM
A couple of tree limbs with crotches and prop it up

RICH

Valley View Sugarhouse
03-26-2008, 08:28 PM
That was what I was trying to think of.. lol mine I put a lag on bothg sides of the road to hold the wires up, and down then the stretch in the road I have pulled really tight with a tension grip and a bungee kinda at a 45 angle to the fitting.. the little sag that is left will not hurt. some of my others have nothing..

DS Maple
03-26-2008, 08:41 PM
I put one of those mainline tension grips on the line and connect it to a ratchet strap wrapped around a tree on the opposite side. I cut the mainline so that it is just tight enough that I can't pull it across by hand. The ratchet strap makes it easy and you really don't lose any tension.

Pete33Vt
03-27-2008, 03:22 AM
We installed a few gates in our main line also. We used trees to anchor our wire to but are planing on sinking a couple big post in this summer so our crossing is more of a straight on shot. As far as tension we used a pair of cheap come-a-longs and a thick rope to go around the trees. The most expensive part was the quick disconects. But we have 1 1/4 main line.
So far they work great.

Mark-NH
03-27-2008, 09:37 AM
The other option is to run it high enough about the crossing that it can stay up year round. Do you have enough drop in elevation that you can run the line through a tree on each side of the crossing?