PDA

View Full Version : Grates

Amber Gold
03-26-2008, 10:47 AM
How many grates should a 2'x6' G.H. Grimm evaporator have? I got four when I bought it and am wondering if there's some in the pile that I missed when I picked it up.

Thanks.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-26-2008, 11:52 AM
If it is the double VV grates, it should be four, but if it is the small grates, you would need more than four. Your should be able to place them side by side and fill up the arch across from wall to wall with firebrick in place.

Amber Gold
03-26-2008, 12:47 PM
I have the small grates with the slots in them. When I was test fitting them last night, I didn't think it made since that they was a lot of extra room. I'll have to see if I can find the rest.

Thanks for the help.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-26-2008, 08:19 PM
They need to be tight together sorta, but you need to have a little room for them to expand. Don't put them in there so tight they don't have room to expand as it will cause them to warp. They need to have a little room on each end and along each side wall for expansion.

Amber Gold
03-27-2008, 11:22 AM
I'd figured a little room would be required, but this is excessive. I could probably fit 2-4 more grates in.

I was just looking at your preheater and hood pics. What is the purpose of the s/s pan hanging in the middle of the hood and why does your preheater have a ball valve at the end of it? If I'm looking at it properly sap is fed in the upper line, reaches the manifold where it is distributed among the 5 return pipes, and is then directed into your float box. Is that a custom preheater and what kind of temps do you typically get into your float box? I was thinking of something along the same lines, but using baseboard piping. I figured the fins would increase the heat transfer.

Josh