PDA

View Full Version : hole in tank

springhills
03-24-2008, 08:09 PM
We wore a hole in our polyethylene tank with the wagon tire. Does anyone have experience repairing one of these? The hole is right on the corner. Luckily it was noticed before we left the full tank on the hill for the night.

cheesegenie
03-24-2008, 08:26 PM
A friend of mine who also taps (he has a 2x7 Lapierre) repaired his with a stick glue gun. He says it is great and even fixed a plastic gas can with it.

davey
03-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Harbor freight used to carry a "welding" kit for polyethylene, don't know if they still do. It was basically a glorified hot glue gun but used plastic rahter than glue

802maple
03-25-2008, 06:00 AM
As Davey said it is a glorified hot glue gun. I have fixed them with a small soldering iron and the glue sticks from a hot glue gun. This way it melts the plastic a little and the glue bonds better. Just keep layering it in until the hole is full.

Good luck
Jerry

SapSuckers
03-27-2008, 09:08 AM
check out a compund called propoxy 20. I think they say it will bond to plastic, or i even think they sell a product just for plastic. I used it on my front pan and works very well.

ronr
03-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Here is a link to a publication from West System epoxy that has info on repairing plastic. I have used the West System epoxy many times on many things and have always had good luck with it. It is available at boating supply shops.

http://www.westsystem.com/ewmag/16/index16.html

springhills
03-28-2008, 12:44 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up taking a torch and a chunk of plastic from the lip of the tank and "braising" it back together. I filled in the rest of the hole with hot glue, and covered it with duct tape for some reason. It worked great through one collection. We'll just have to wait for any real judgments.

Dylan