PDA

View Full Version : Refratometer 2

Jim Powell
03-23-2008, 10:49 AM
I have found a 0-90% refractometer on ebay for $48. It is a RHB-90 Brix Refractometer from Refractex Meter SystemsŪ. I've googled the mfg, and found nothing, and I emailed the seller about it and have heard back zippo. Has anyone used one of these? We all know what it means when it sounds too good to be true. Thanks

MaplePancakeMan
03-23-2008, 05:25 PM
I've bought them off ebay before, they work relatively well. However 0-90 is going to be a really small scale and difficult to read. I would stick to 0-30 ish and 45-90. Those are the ones i bought.

Jim Powell
03-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Pancake, Thanks, I've never used one of these, but understand exactly what you mean. I will purchase two instead of just the one.

JCP

MaplePancakeMan
03-23-2008, 09:51 PM
they are really neat to use during the late season if you have buckets when the trees are shutting down. You can check each tree and if its .5% you can choose not to take it depending on your syrup needs/firewood situation. I had a couple trees test out at 0 last year but were still producing. I obviously no longer collected those.

lpakiz
03-23-2008, 10:34 PM
I too have a 0-10 refractometer and it's really neat to use. Just hold it under the tap and get a drop, then check. Would anyone believe me if I said I have a soft maple in the yard that goes over 5%?? Two trees away, one test about 2 1/2% and water from the puddle tests zero, so I think I am accurate.. It seems that they change daily and also weaker at the heavy flow in mid-afternoon it will get stronger near the end of the day.
Larry

hard maple
03-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Soft maple 5%
I don't think so!
See if you can get a refund.

pennslytucky
03-25-2008, 09:24 AM
you need to borrow a few more testers to see if that soft maple really is 5% and then make sure its really a soft maple and your not hallucinating!!

what would the benefits be of a soft maple that makes sweet sap?

Jim Powell
03-30-2008, 12:13 PM
I took the advice of MaplePancakeMan and bought just one 45-82 refractometer. I got it calibrated fine, and it seems when I'm testing during boils like at 45% or 55% it looks great, but when i get near 67% the blue/white line gets real blurry. I'm sure it is me, because the crystal at 77.8 was very sharp.

Any ideas?

SeanD
03-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Are refractometers more accurate than hydrometers? They sound a lot easier to use, though about twice the cost - not including the cup. It would be worth the extra $ if they are reliable. After hearing a few stories about bad hydrometers, I shied away from buying one this year. I'll definitely need something for next year. Is there a general consensus out there?

Sean

MaplePancakeMan
03-30-2008, 02:21 PM
when testing hot syrup, it can get foggy due to temps. Even though its Temperature compensating it only goes to a certain point in compensation. Try cooling it down on a spoon and then testing, Should give you a more crisp line

MaplePancakeMan
03-30-2008, 02:23 PM
i find they are pretty accurate and you can get them on ebay for about the same price as a hydrometer, slightly more. I still use a hydrometer too to double check. However you can make good syrup using either if you monitor it correctly.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Hard to be a hydrometer, very easy to read and don't have to worry about the lines blurring. I have been using the same for that I got about 15 years ago and it is still working great.

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
03-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Jim...it's not you,

I bought one of those 45-82 one's 2 years ago. Works great on cool syrup, but is fuzzy with hot syrup.......and it is hot when I need to be checking it, so I use my hydrometer anyway....the hydrometer seems to be more accurate and consistent.

lpakiz
03-30-2008, 09:07 PM
After being doubted about the 5% sap from one of my soft maples, I went to the basement and got out my short stem sap hydrometer. It tested that same tree two days later at 4.9% I sat the cup and hydrometer on the deck rail and intended to take a pic of the hydrometer floating at about 4.9% Will still try if I get a minute. The 5 was clearly visible just under the miniscus.

Benefits of the soft maple is it grows relatively fast. This one was a broomstick when I dug it out of the ditch and hauled it home in my pickup in about 1977. It was less than five feet tall. It's about 16-18 inches DBH now.
Nope, not looking for a refund for the refractometer, tho it did read a couple tenths higher than the hydrometer.

Jim Powell
04-02-2008, 10:44 PM
MaplePancakeMan,

Thanks, you were spot on. Line is very sharp when I cool the sap first.

JCP

MaplePancakeMan
04-03-2008, 08:01 AM
fantastic i love hearing good results!