PDA

View Full Version : Tree diameter

doocat
04-07-2004, 09:17 PM
Another new guy question. I have heard different stories but would like some opinions. What is the minimum diameter tree to tap for one tap, two taps, etc.

04-08-2004, 06:51 AM
Traditionally it has been 10 inches diameter at breast height for 1 tap and 16 inches for 2 taps. Some conservative guidelines call for 18 inches for 2 taps. I think there is new research going on for the new smaller spouts to see if a smaller tree can be tapped. There was a recent article in the maple digest that said all these guidelines appear to be based on tradition and not significant research. It is possible to kill the tree by overtapping however.

powerdub
04-08-2004, 03:43 PM
I have a bunch of four inch trees that I have marked for cutting and have tapped them for the last four years and they aren't dead yet. In fact, they are the only ones that heal in less than one year. I figured if I killed them it was no great loss as they are to be cut, now, I am kind of seeing how they will react to being tapped year after year. I bet I will cut them before I tap them to death.

WF MASON
04-09-2004, 05:00 AM
I'd heard the dia. should be twice the lenght of the spile.

Al
04-09-2004, 06:40 AM
You know if somebody had the time and but all these reccomendations/inputs into a book it would be a maple encylopedia.
There are so many good inputs on this site both technical and experiance that I rarely go to my dealer anymore. I just wanted to thank everyone who has made inputs for taking the time to do so. You don't know how many times you've saved me from looking stupid. :D It's greatly appreciated!!!!!!! :D :D
Take care

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-09-2004, 06:45 AM
I totally agree with Al on that point. I have made syrup for years but I have also learned so much on this sight that it is infinite. I wouldn't even know where to start. Other people always have different ideas and ways of doing things and since I really don't have any other operations down here to go look at, I try to learn as much as I can on here. :D :D :D

doocat
04-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all of the good information. Any other inputs will be appreciated.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
08-21-2004, 11:47 AM
post edited