PDA

View Full Version : Types of Flue Pans?

TDVT
03-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Not being a native Vermonter, I wasn't born with a general working knowledge of sugaring & all the equipment, but I'm working on catching up.

After reading/searching through many threads, I have a general question about the various types & configurations of flue pans. The increased surface area makes perfect sense but I'm curious about all the variations to that end.

I have seen drop-flue pans around here but from the top only, never out of the arch. I DID find some good pics of one installed, taken from the bottom. But I see there are raised flue, hybrid drop/raised, drop tube, etc. Are there more? Pleated bottom?

I would love to see some section drawings/pics if anyone has any of the various types.

Also, do they not burn because there is always cooler sap flowing down? Or do they get cruddy at the very bottom? Do any draw off at the very lowest point by any sort of cross drain-tube?

Thanks, Ted

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Ted,

I have a couple of good pics of the underside of my drop flue on my website link below for photobucket. It is listed as firebricking.

TDVT
03-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks, those are good pics!

It looks like there is SS connecting the bottom of the flues, is that just a spacer to keep them from bending? How cruddy does it get at the bottom by the end of the season?

Ted

3% Solution
03-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Hey Ted,
Don't feel bad about not know lot about this stuff.
I have talked to many people who have never stepped foot into a sugarhouse and have no idea where the syrup actully comes from!!!!
I have been asked "Where do you put the sugar in?"
That's from people who have lived here all there lives.
Happy Easter!!!

Dave

TDVT
03-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Hey Ted,
Don't feel bad about not know lot about this stuff.

I don't feel TOO bad asking questions, you've got to start some where. We've had some help from some neighbors (retired sugarers). I'm sure they were worried when we started,

I have talked to many people who have never stepped foot into a sugarhouse and have no idea where the syrup actully comes from!!!!
I have been asked "Where do you put the sugar in?"
That's from people who have lived here all there lives.
Happy Easter!!!

Dave

That reminds me of the joke about the old timer that hung a bucket on a telephone pole just to keep the tourists guessing.

Happy Easter to you as well, Ted