PDA

View Full Version : selling syrup

drake1271
03-22-2008, 08:18 PM
this may be a stupid question but can i sell syrup in someones store? do i need a business name or USDA approved? the only thing on my jugs is the grade labels. how do you guys sell? and also selling bulk to restaurants as well?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-22-2008, 09:08 PM
For resale, you are supposed to be USDA certified.

maplehound
03-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Every state may be diffrent but in Ohio you can sell it through any store that will accept it, as long as you have your address on it and it stest pure maple syrup. The later is due to laws saying you must have an ingrediant label. I have never had any success getting resturants to buy my syrup because of the cost of it as compared to that other sugar water they ussually use. I do however sell in several diffrent markets and they all due real well. Start out selling in alot of difrent size bottles. The small bottles will ussually sell best at first but eventually the larger sizes will take over. ( at least that has been my experience) In Ohio we do need to keep in mind that the State ag dept. may purchase and test your syrup for Lead, density, and color grade if marked with one, and possible adulteration. If they have any problem with your syrup from these test they will contact you and may at there discresion remove and possibly destroy all syrup or at least all the batch they test. Recomendations have been that we mark each bottle with a batch # to prevent them from being able to destroy the whole years crop.

tuckermtn
03-22-2008, 10:32 PM
In NH all you need to have is a container that has volume labeled on it (i.e pint, quart, etc) the grade label, and a label identifying who produced it (your sugarhouse label) You can get this info and details by contacting Vickie Smith with the NH ag department in Concord. She can send you the info and come do a visit to your place to check out your grading, density, hydrometer, etc..

Parker- can you confirm my memory about selling in someone else store?

Parker
03-23-2008, 04:35 AM
Sounds right,,Vicki will want to visit,,you should also have liability insurance

Russell Lampron
03-23-2008, 06:14 AM
Ditto to what everyone has said so far. Don't be afraid of the NH inspectors, they are more of a check and advise type of service and want to help you not police you. I have a different inspector than Parker and she is very nice. Just have a pint of syrup ready for the inspector to check and use the USDA testing kit to grade your syrup. If you are using the Vermont temporary testing kit to grade go to the darker side of the color sample if you have a borderline sample.

maple flats
03-23-2008, 07:31 AM
In NY state it is the same as what they say for NH. Our inspector stops unannounced and buys 1 qt of syrup off your shelf. They test for grade, volumn, density, flavor, and lead. Last year I only got a copy of the report because I asked for one, which took about 3 months to get from date of inspector purchasing it. If I had not requested it I would only have been given the results IF I had a problem. As mentioned, if approaching the darker limit of any grade, label it for the darker. You however are not required to grade it if you chose but then you may scare away customers who know what grade they want.
Good luck!!!

jemsklein
03-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Well up here in Canada all you need is the grade the size of the container and a address to sell it and I have a local restaurant that uses our syrup and the post office and the bulk barn that sell it. And have had no problems.