PDA

View Full Version : Proper canning with plastic jugs.

DavyJones
03-22-2008, 08:48 AM
I was trying to find out whats the actual process for canning with the plastic jugs but didn't see it. I've read that people set them on their sides after they put in the hot syrup and I am reading allot of people having sealing problems.

I bought one just to see what they were like and I do like them. All I did was rinse it out with some hot water and put in the hot syrup and left about a half inch at the top. Screwed the lid on real tight and set it on it's side.

How do you tell if it seals properly other the the obvious, if I turn it upside down it will leak. This lid is just like a gallon of milk and I can put those on after I've drunk half the milk and turn them upside down and they won't leak. If I tighten this lid on the jug this syrup isn't going to leak out. So since this is not going to pop down like a Mason jar how can you really tell?

Are there steps to follow using the plastic jugs?
Thanks
David

tuckermtn
03-22-2008, 09:12 AM
sounds like you have it right...

keep syrup between 180-190 deg.

I use the cruchon jugs and typically fill up to just above where the neck of the jug is the skinnyist,

once full, I flip over and leave for a minute...only way to tell if the heat seal on the inside of the cap is good is to open cap and remove lid...

DavyJones
03-22-2008, 09:19 AM
tuckermtn, thanks sounds good to me... It's not leaking so I guess I'll know I did it right when I am ready to open it up. I guess if it's bad there could be some mold on the top. I'd jsut scrape that off and heat up the liquid again then use it. Actually if it was just me I'd probably just scrap it off then use the syrup. The stuff I've put into my body over the years would laugh at maple syrup mold.

Thanks
David