PDA

View Full Version : using syrup in smoker?

ctjim
03-21-2008, 04:09 PM
does anyone use syrup in their smoker? or glaze meats or sausages and then smoke? if so any recipes? i was going to try some sausages glazed or injected w/ syrup and then smoked? thanks jim

Bill'sSugarShack
05-21-2008, 02:25 PM
I havn't tryed it...i'd be affraid of getting the taeste of burnt syrup instead of a maple flavor.

I have used it as a glaz or for home made bBQ sauce..

Dill
05-21-2008, 02:27 PM
I did a pork loin for mother's day in the smoker.
Some garlic, some syrup a pinch of salt and a bunch of apple wood. It was awesome. Bacon has sweet and smoke after all

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-21-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't think you need to worry about a burnt syrup taste. Temperature in a smoker should not be high enough to scorch the syrup. I created a sausage in a food science lab in college that used maple syrup as an ingredient and was then smoked. The class seemed to like it.

peacemaker
05-21-2008, 03:51 PM
i have done a chicken that way and i have also cooked hams with sap ....and i make a maple breakfast sausage as well

Haynes Forest Products
05-21-2008, 04:52 PM
I sold syrup to a guy that injected into his fowel that he cooked.......OOPS SMOKED

evansglenn
11-29-2008, 12:14 PM
I use my syrup when I marinate boneless baby back ribs. In order for the marinade to be absorded into the meat, you need sugar. So I use syrup, a little worstershire, a little lemon juice (to tenderize the meat), and some spices. Let it soak over night, and cook the next day. Use the juice to baste the meat when its on the grill. Just before they are done, smother them in BBQ Sauce. It's real good...

gmcooper
11-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Browne Trading Compnay in Portland, ME makes and sells a lot of Maple smoked salmon. They use enough syrup that they are usually hunting for drums of commercial syrup.
Mark

super sappy
11-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Hardest thing about smoke'n syrup is getting it to stay in a paper , and gettin it lit . All kidding aside I agree with thompsons tree farm about the temp etc.we have used it as a glaze in several meats. ushally b grade with a good flavor. dump it on the back when its about half baked, I liked it on turkey.-ss

peacemaker
11-29-2008, 05:49 PM
use a pipe atleast it says in there ...lol

partsrus1974
11-30-2008, 05:08 PM
;) Thats the way to go LOL!!!!!!

peacemaker
11-30-2008, 06:06 PM
really clogs it up but stays in there

matrob
12-21-2008, 11:39 AM
I smoke a lot of wilg game-venison, turkey, goose, you name it. I have been using maple syrup in my brine for years. It takes a good amount, but people really seem to like the flavor.
When grilling with syrup, I find I have to be awful careful to keep the fire low.

Matt